“Terrific overall experience”

Tuthill House at the Mill
Ranked #3 of 11 Restaurants in Gardiner
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Specialties Featuring homemade, French-American cuisine in a historic 1788 Grist Mill; Tuthill House at the Mill Restaurant & Tavern's completely Homemade menu is inspired by French-American country cooking, featuring fresh, local artisan products and ingredients of the Hudson Valley. Enjoy local, French and Italian wines, as well as local spirits, house-infused vodkas and prohibition era inspired cocktails using spirits distilled right next door at Tuthilltown Spirits Craft Distillery! At the Tuthill House, we believe in dreaming big; we work tirelessly to turn your ornate vision into a beautiful celebration and memories that will last a lifetime. Whether you prefer an indoor or outdoor event, the Tuthill House offers awe-inspiring views of the Shawangunkill River and sounds of the flowing water to create a tranquil backdrop to your special day. History Tuthill House at the Mill is located in the National Historic Landmark,Tuthilltown Gristmill, built in 1788 by Selah Tuthill. In 2006 the renovation of the building began. It took over 4 years to open the doors of Tuthill House at the Mill, and additions and improvements to the business and property have been ongoing. In 2009, Tuthilltown Spirits Distillery was established just a stone's throw from the restaurant. Tuthill House at the Mill now specializes in creating spectacular cocktails utilizing the craft spirits produced right on the property.
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

First time here, and we will be back. The restaurant is located in a meticulously restored grist mill, with some of the original machinery still in place upstairs.

We arrived on Saturday at peak dinner and the place was packed. Staff did a terrific job, from guidance in the parking lot to explaining that the kitchen may be a bit slow.

Service was attentive and friendly, and we got to chat with the owner a bit on the way out. Lots of owner care here - a good sign.

My NY strip steak was tender, juicy and done perfectly medium rare. Terrific baked potato and tasty brussel sprouts (hard to believe, I know).

Drinks were good and the wine list was a bit short (for red wines) but very reasonably priced.

As our party had to head out to a music venue, we did not get to experience dessert.

Next time...

Reviewed November 1, 2012

My wife and I recently visited the Tuthill House in Gardiner, New York, for dinner. We, initially, thought that the prices were a little high, but after the perfect Caesar salad arrived, $9 didn't seem too high. We both shard it and could have served a third. The menu is quite varied and everything we had was excellent. Dinner for two without alcoholic drinks will easily run $75 with tip, so it is not a place to host a large party unless you just hit the lottery.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

We make a yearly visit to the area and have been eating at the Tuthill House at the Mill Reataurant & Tavern. This year was not up to par. It's a very cool old mill that has been turned into a restaurant so the setting is great. The filet my wife had this year was served cold. It was returned and came back warm and tasty. My mixed seafood over pasta was very large and more pasta than seafood. I'll probably try it again next year, but this year was not up to par.

1  Thank vkngprints
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I went twice in the same week in September, 2012. The first time the food was very good. However, the waiter talked so fast that none of us had any idea what he had said. On the second visit the swordfish was overcooked and tasteless. The waitress asked me if she could take my salad plate away, and before I could say no she had already whisked it off the table.

2  Thank SS1172
Reviewed September 25, 2012

interesting place with very pretty views. we ate inside but went out on the deck after, i would highly reccomend eating there, the sound of the water was truly enjoyable. my wife had the eggplant parm, it was so so nothing special and a fairly small portion. i had the fish and chips, the breading was way to thick, but the small serving of fish underneath was fresh and very tasty, the french fries were nothing to talk about. the portion again was on the small side. the waitress was very attentive and the service was great. this was a nice change in our regular afternoon lunches, but i will probably not be going back soon