“One of the best!!!”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

I can call myself a foody. I like different kinds of food as long as it tastes and looks good. When it comes to a restaurant review, my conclusion is mainly based on quality of food. The taste and quality of food at this restaurant is excellent. One of the best places I have ever dined in. Service is great and friendly. One time we were lucky to try an elk entree which they had as a special and it was one of the best meals I've ever had. Apple strudel is a MUST!!! This place is always packed and making a reservation will not necessarily help so expect a long wait especially on weekends. The restaurant is not big so I would not recommend it for large parties. If you happen to be in the area, this restaurant must be your first choice.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

I had heard nice things about this restaurant, so I called them about a month prior to a family gathering to ask if they could accommodate a large party. They told me they absolutely could - it would be no problem and they asked that I call them back when we got closer to the date to just confirm that the number of people were correct, which I did one week before the date. In addition, we had communicated the same morning with them to add two more people - so they had know doubt we were going to be there.

When we got to the restaurant (6:30 on a Saturday evening), our entire party of 15 were there. We were told that it would be about 40 minutes to an hour to get seated. The restaurant was packed. The bar was packed. There was barely anywhere to stand and there was no where to sit except in a room outside the restaurant that is not heated (it was below freezing that night). At least 6 people in our party were more than 70 years old and standing that long, stuffed like sardines, was really not an option. About 10 minutes later, I spoke to the hostess again. She gave me the same time frame and when I asked her what the problem was she replied "Well, you just made these reservations." I told her I had made the reservations more than a month ago and she said, "Oh, it must be the other large party then." I am not sure why a restaurant that is not very large would accept reservations from another large group when they already had one on the books for a month or why they would seat so many people when they knew a large group was coming in. In any event, we ended up leaving and they were perfectly fine with that. They didn't apologize for the problem or try to make us happy in anyway, they just said, "Ok." We were looking forward to the dinner and as good as the food might be, I will not be returning.

3  Thank Jodie P
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Most wonderful food and staff, ever! We joked that if we could have one last meal on earth, this would be it!!!

Appetizers: Meatballs, Reuben and Pretzel (with cheese dip)
Dinner: Jager Schnitzel with Noodle, Pork Special

DELISH.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Went here tonight (11/10/13) around 5PM. The number of people already waiting for tables was worrying and the place was packed to the rafters We put our name in, and was told 25-35 minutes. It turned out to be only around 15-20 minutes.
Waited on by Lorraine, who was wonderful. Very knowledgeable about the menu and highly personable.

Greeted with amazing pumpernickel bread, which was chewy, warm and delicious.

We shared an appetizer of the "Reuben Strudel" (Corned beef, sauerkraut and cheeses wrapped in a flaky pastry), all quite a treat. Served with horseradish sour cream and russian dressing sauce that was a perfect acidic bite to the rich pastry.

I went for the Beef Rouladen, red cabbage and potato pancakes (there are a number of side choices - Spaetzle, fries, potato dumplings, et.al.). The beef was tender and flavorful stuffed with cornichons, onions and bacon; two pieces served (one was enough). Potato pancakes were crispy with a fluffy interior and served with a side of applesauce. Red cabbage was a nice accompaniment.

My companion had the Chicken Jaeger Schnitzel (they offer veal or chicken) with red cabbage and potato dumplings. The schnitzel was extremely large (seriously enough for 2+ people) and had a lovely crispy taste. The potato dumplings were a letdown; they had almost no flavor at all.

The restaurant offers a number of dining choices and specials as well as plenty of interesting German beers and wines to try. There is also a small bar where most of the waiting patrons visited whilst waiting for their table. The interior looks like what I would imagine a 60's ski lodge would look like - lots of wood work with eclectic pictures and lighting fixtures. Seemed to be a mix of older and younger people alike.

We loved the place and definitely plan on returning. Too bad it's so far out of the way (or maybe that's a good thing, otherwise I'd eat there several times a week).

Reviewed November 9, 2013

My favorite German restaurant in the USA. ALways great food, great service. The wait can be very long, but didn't ruin my mood so far!