“So close to perfection...”

Hampton Inn Garden City
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Garden City
Reviewed January 4, 2009

The hotel is located in an industrial type of area, but it's great! It is quiet and nicely out of the way ensuring that you get a huge car park. Please note that if the front side is full, drive around the back! It is usually empty.

I found the location pretty easily with a sat-nav, and within 5 minutes you will know your way around the area with a car. You can not really get lost. There are loads of malls around, so if you want to do some shopping, stay here!

The title says that this hotel is so close to perfection, yet it failed in only a few areas. One of them, which was kind of annoying but what can they do, is that there was some construction going on outside our room on a site just next door. There were also trucks parked outside the rooms on some nights and they would start up nice and early of course, just to make sure you knew they were leaving. Another annoying noise, and I see the previous reviewer makes note that they were there for a swim meet... yes.. we know.. we were there at the same time. Kids... do you know how thin the ceilings are when the people upstairs have kids running around? Pretty thin... Or perhaps when kids are running up and down the hallway screaming.... I sound like a miser now, but for some people from different time zones, it's not what you want to hear when you finally get a chance to sleep.
Breakfast was also interesting with the amount of parents and kids in pajamas...

The air conditioning in the room was also noisy and was used to heat the room because of the cold, but it would kick in every now and then and scare you for a laugh.

I thought the rooms were huge and pretty good. The bed was huuuuuge and very comfortable. The shower was also very nice with a sliding door. You could easily shower with 2 if you liked and the shower was floor level, so there was no stepping in or out needed.. no slip, no sue?

The breakfast got a bit repetitive after a few days, one day is some sort of egg apparently.. but its like this foamy round thing, and a sort of hamburger sausage. Other days there was some sort of sliced sausage... so it kind of rotated.
There is coffee and tea available 24hrs a day and cookies available from reception from Otis Spunkmeyer. Quite nice actually!!

There is a swimming pool and gym of sorts at the hotel. I used the gym and it was pretty basic. No free weights or anything, just a sort of weights machine, bike and treadmill or 2.

The wifi is included the stay, but the code changes occasionally, so for long stays this will get annoying. It is pretty fast too, so that is a bonus.

The staff are very friendly and I really liked the new-ness of the hotel. I will definitely stay here again in the future!!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 28, 2008

I had to book a hotel at the last minute to visit a relative in a hospital on western Long Island. I wanted a clean, convenient property without paying too much and I found it with Hampton Inn. I had never stayed at a Hampton Inn before. The property was extremely clean, comfortable, inviting, the included breakfast had a good selection and was plentiful and the staff was nice and helpful. The room was great. The bed and linens were very comfortable. The hot water was plentiful and the water pressure was excellent. Although I did not need to use them, the room included a mini refrigerator, microwave and a complimentary wireless Internet connection. My only minor criticisms are that the toiletries consisted of mouhwash and another unlabled bottle which I believe was likely shampoo. This was not a problem, however, since I brought my own. The other minor issue was that the HVAC unit was a little loud. I have stayed at a lot of properties around the US and world-wide for work and pleasure and this property was better than many that I have paid twice as much or more for. Not only would I stay at this property again but will seek to stay at other Hampton Inn properties in the future. One tip for this property - check out their website to get a GPS address that is different from their official address.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed December 21, 2008

We were here for 2 nights to attend a swim meet at the nearby Nassau County Aquatic Center (about 5 min away). Upon check-in, the front desk had directions already printed out to the swimming pool, so that was rather thoughtful.

The hotel looks clean, with a rather big seating area for the free breakfast. The room is good with a microwave and refrigerator. The refrigerator came on from time to time throughout the night, that was a little noisy. The heating unit on the wall is also a little bit noisy.

In our bathroom, there was no shampoo, somehow they missed that. The closet has a glass mirror door (and not the sliding type), so it is a little inconvenient to get things in and out since you need to swing it open. The bathroom has a rather high shower head, that is too high for a kid to reach.

The carpet looks new. My key didn't work at times. The free wireless is good (you need the password, though), and the lap cushion is handy.

The breakfast is decent considered it is included with your room with pastry, toast and 2 hot items/day. Good selection of tea not only at breakfast time but all day.

Overall, it is a good stay, a little pricey but reasonble for Long Island, ample of parking and well lit. It is next to a mall.

We will stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 30, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel many a time and have not been dissappointed in it. The palce is near the freeway (easier to find if you locate the Wendy's near it - 820 COUNTRY ROAD
820 OLD COUNTRY ROAD, GARDEN CITY, NY 11530 US (It's the road just south at the intersection of the Wendy's on the SE side. - Hotel is about two roads south on 1 North Ave) It's a New york thing - Garden City is either East GG, or South GG or just Garden City - your yahoo or neverlost will send you to a residental area. My rooms have always been clean and I request quiet - which normally means I have to walk a little out of the mainstream. They have wonderful chocolate chip cookies in the afternoon. Breakfast is standard fare - nice fruit. I enjoy this location and have returned here many times!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed May 30, 2008

Stayed here for almost 2 weeks on business.

The bathroom was large, new and always clean.
Free wireless was among fastest I have had in hotels.
Bed was really comfortable
Room was very large and well appointed.

Free Breakfast was just OK. Some of the daily rotating menu was not my cup of tea... like a sliced Kielbasa for the meat portion, with no egg choice some days.

Location of the building itself was in the middle of warehouses, but is convenient to local roads and highways.

Overall, a very nice hotel though and would stay again

• Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed October 14, 2007

We were attending a conference at Hofstra, so we decided to book this wonderful hotel. There is nothing negative to say about this establishment. But… It is a little tricky to find.
It is in Garden City, NY but it might as well be in Carle Place, NY. When I input directions into Mapquest, the North Ave I ended up at was not anywhere near the hotel. Dead end to say the least. There was a North Ave, but it was the wrong one! Frustrating, but partially my fault.
I called the hotel to get better directions, but I must state that every time I tried to call, it took at least 2 times calling to actually get someone to speak with. Eventually, I got through, asked for directions, only to be asked, “You don’t have a GPS system in your car, do you?” “No, I replied”. The hotel employee transferred me, and I was disconnected. I called back and was given mediocre directions. So, I stopped at local coffee shop and a young teenager gave me precise directions! I was in the right town, but totally in the wrong place. Supposedly, like the hotel employee told us during the first phone call, there are 2 North Aves, so be careful. Patience got me through.
Other than that, the hotel is great! Very new, the bed was comfortable, and the room was huge! The bathroom did not have a tub, but it was a huge shower. Plus, we weren’t there for spa treatments; we were there for a conference. We arrived from CT about 8:15 p.m., and were very hungry. We asked the front desk of some pub- like places. We were directed about 2 miles away to a nice Irish pub. It was very comfortable, and filled our stomachs. There were tons of other restaurants by the way. Dave and Busters to Ruby Tuesday’s to family owned establishments to Wendy’s. Old Country Rd. hosts a strip of restaurants and small shopping plazas.
We had to be at our conference early in the morning, so the pool wasn’t used, but if I was staying longer, I wouldn’t hesitate jumping in! They have coffee 24 hr a day and the breakfast was a nice touch.
When in Long Island, do not hesitate to stay here! Have a great trip!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank callieq
Reviewed June 1, 2007

My husband and I booked a one night stay. Check in took less than five minutes. The room we were given was on the first floor and was spotless. You can tell that the hotel is still very new. There are no scuff marks anywhere, the carpets are not worn out. The entire place is clean.

There is a 24 hour fitness center. Laundry facility with coin operated machines, business center and a very nice pool. They offer a hot and cold breakfast until 10am, which was good. Just remember to walk around with your room key, as you need it to get into all of these places. Also, they had wireless internet access in the room, which my husband loved.

Would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 mi away
Garden City Hotel
Garden City Hotel
#1 of 4 in Garden City

Been to Hampton Inn Garden City? Share your experiences!