Hampton Inn Garden City
La Quinta Inn & Suites Garden City(Garden City)(Great Value!)
$159
$132
Hyatt.com
$124
$163
$139
Homewood
Red Roof PLUS+ Long Island(Westbury)(Great Value!)
$130
$115
$160
$153
HolidayInn.com
Long Island Marriott(Uniondale)(Great Value!)
$161
$132
$187
$159
Hotels.com
Garden City Hotel(Garden City)
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewslong islandcoffee and teacomplimentary breakfastcountry roadeasy accessnew yorkconvenient locationgreat shoppingwafflesindoor poolclean roomsbusiness centercarle placethe breakfast areafitness centerroosevelt fieldbed was comfortable
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This hotel was booked for dates 12/30-12/31, prior to Hurricane Sandy. Some residents at the hotel were from the hurricane, location is great next to major shopping and resturants of all price points. Less than one mile from Roosevelt Field Mall and Highways to anywhere in New York. Staff was ok, rooms standard with a decent bathroom. (I stayed in the King room) Hotel was quiet (4th floor) Breakfast was basic with plenty of seating very helpful staff in the breakfast area. Unable to upgrade : ( Better if you are driving 40 minutes into NYC...public transportation is very close by and you can get into the city although the trip would be at least 1-1/2 hours by public transportation.
I would recommend the hotel and stay here again.

Room Tip: Select floors above 2nd floor
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BAP-NYC-BURBS
JRosanio, General Manager at Hampton Inn Garden City, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Thank you for taking to time to complete the Trip Advisor online survey. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon. Thanks again

Reviewed December 27, 2012

stayed there 5 nites, visiting my daughter who lives in long beach,ny; have stayed here before; everthing was great with the one exception; strong rains and wind and hotel lost power for about an hour; great location near westbury newyork; many restaurants and great shopping; wish this hotel was a bit less expensive, but this is new york!

Room Tip: not sure of a tip; just great location
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for staying with us and please accept my apologies for the loss of power. Fortunately it only lasted an hour. Our hotel was still full at that time with displaced families from Hurricane Sandy so they understood that these things happen. I'm glad the rest of the stay went well and our staff was good to you. Hope to see you agian the next time you are in the Garden City, NY area

Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night. Typical Hampton Inn room. Clean enough. Breakfast was average for the chain. Checkin and out was perfect. Would stay again. Was a bit expensive for a Hampton Inn but it was after hurricane sandy so the hotel was sold out.

• Stayed: November 2012

Thank you so much for staying with us. Our hotel strives on being consistent with the Hampton brand. We were consistently sold out with displaced families due to Hurricane Sandy so I'm glad everything went well. Hope to see you again the next time you are in the Garden City NY area

Reviewed November 16, 2012

When I arrived at 11am (due to available flights) I didn't expect to be able to check in. Therefore I asked to use the business center as advertised on the website. The receptionist seemed to have no idea what I was talking about and said I could wait in the lobby. She did give me another guest's name and room number so I could access the internet. I am not sure Mr. or Ms. Browne would have appreciated that although I knew I wasn't going to do anything dodgy while signed in as someone else.

After 2 hours when I asked if room might be ready. I was told "Check in is three". Apparently all the rooms magically get cleaned at exactly 3PM. I didn't say anything because she was correct but certainly not the service I am used to as a long time Marriott patron.

The hotel has no restaurant so I asked where I could walk nearby for lunch? I was told there was nowhere within walking distance and was handed brochures for 2 pizza places and a Chinese restaurant that deliver. Given the taxi ride in this seemed far fetched to me. I left the hotel and in under 10 minutes I found Thomas' Diner (which was excellent but I have always loved diners), Wendy's, a more upscale Italian restaurant, and Starbucks.

When I arrived back at 2:30 a room was still not available. I waited another quarter hour before being told I could check in. The bed was very soft which I don't care for but others may like it. Other than an unworkably slow internet the room was fine. Operators of business hotels should realize that many people rely on their internet. Don't advertise it as an amenity if is sporadic or slow.

The day before I was to check out I received a call from the hotel asking if I was extending my stay for 1 more night? I checked my printed reservation and it said that my check out was the next day. The hotel seemed to think that I was leaving on the 15th despite my reservation saying the 16th. I explained they had made a mistake and that I was leaving on the 16th. Problem solved. Or so I thought until my actual check out the next day.

I found that for my final night I was charged $100 more for the room. I questioned this and was told it was due to the "new rate because I had extended my stay". I produced my reservation and explained again that I 'did not' extend my stay and the rate I had been quoted was for every night. The woman at reception had no idea what I was talking about. Bear in mind this was not a language issue it was a rudimentary comprehension issue. Despite the fact that I was showing her a reservation from Hampton Inn stating that my departure as the 16th she just kept repeating that I had extended my stay. I suppose it is hard to find good staff for low paid jobs but there is no other word for her but 'stupid'. There seemed to be no reason to continue to try and explain what could not have been clearer so I acquiesced and decided to take it up later with their billing department.

I then explained that I was going to have breakfast and would she mind calling me a taxi for 8:45 (30 minutes later). After grabbing breakfast I sat down and was immediately tapped on the shoulder. She informed me my taxi was here. I told her that I had asked for 8:45. Her response was 'Oh', and she walked away.

Admittedly I prefer the Marriott properties so I have no intention of using this hotel again anyway regardless of the service. This was a last minute trip and due to Hurricane Sandy rooms were few and far between. If you stay in this hotel don't come with high expectations of the staff.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
JRosanio, General Manager at Hampton Inn Garden City, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Please accept my apologies for the issues you experienced during your stay. I was speaking to the Manager on duty who mentioned you were having a problem accessing the internet with our complimentary lobby code. The Browne name was just a house account set up as we realized that the guest name and room number was working for you. There should be no reason why you had to wait until 3pm to check-in and I plan on discussing this review with the Front Desk team. As far as restaurants we do have some within walking distance. You should have been given both the restaurants in walking distance and delivery. The only info I have for you on this review is JR from Halifax, Canada. I'm not sure why you paid more to stay longer but I'd be happy to assist you is you would call me direct at 516-227-2720 ext. 2004

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Stayed during Hurricane Sandy. I found the staff to be a bit rude - maybe b/c they were stressed, but they were not at all helpful. The hotel charged a ridiculous amount to stay, and we lost power and heat.
The room was dirty when I arrived, I think they cleaned it then the guest left b/c the soap was opened and the shampoo and everything else was missing.
It was very very loud and smelled of smoke and you could here everything in other people's rooms.
The breakfast was good.
The pool was good and it was in a convient location.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Please accept my apologies for the lack of service during your stay. Hurricane Sandy certainly put a tremendous amount of pressure on the staff. The daily involvement in dealing with guests that just about lost everything was not easy. I hope you will consider giving us another chance and staying with us again the next time you are in Garden City NY