“One of the few choices in the area, good for overnight stays”

Hampton Inn Garden City
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Garden City
New York
“One of the few choices in the area, good for overnight stays”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on two separate occasions for weddings in Long Island in August and in October 2012. This seems to be a popular place for overnight stays when out-of-town people are attending events in the area and for wedding parties. The area really does not have a lot of choices when it comes to hotels. Garden City itself is an uninspired and relatively newly-developed Long Island town with shopping malls. The hotel is a good 45 to an hour drive away from Manhattan so a car is necessary in the area.

In one of my stays at this hotel, we were charged a little over $200 just for the night's stay, which we thought was too steep for a hotel that is really only a step or two above a budget motel. There was also a baffling note written in a yellow post-it by the bed that noted that the sheets and the duvet cover have been cleaned (Of course, when you stay at a hotel you would expect these to be changed and cleaned at all times! I don't know why that note was in there in the first place. It was just odd (and quite disturbing)!)

We did not experience any other issues with the hotel or the staff but then again we only stayed for a night on both occasions. There is a hotel right next door too called Hyatt Place which also seems to be popular with bridal parties and guests for Long Island weddings.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
JRosanio, General Manager at Hampton Inn Garden City, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. The area hotels are certainly a popular place with wedding parties. Although our location is about 45 minutes away many guests do take the LIRR to and from the city. The Carle Place train stop is walking distance from our hotel and just 50 minutes to Penn Station. I was hoping you would see us as 'just a step above a budget motel'. We do run a clean operation with a staff that has won many awards within our company. I hope you will consider staying with us the next time you are in the Garden City, NY area

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Hotels on Long Island can be very pricey. The Hampton Inn is good value, my room was large and comfortable. The internet was fast and the shower was good.

Breakfast was completely average - paper plates, plastic cutlery, exactly the buffet you would expect.

Two things to bear in mind. One, if you put 1 North Ave into your GPS, it takes you to 1 N Ave that is 5 miles and 3 towns away to the W. The police officer I got directions from explained that the 11530 zip is split onto two 1 block runs of N Ave separated by a large gap! 700 N Ave was precisely correct on a TomTom.

Second, I was sent for food to the Hilton next door. Poor choice. The food was actually good, but it had the ambience of a McDonalds. Go further afield.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LichfieldGordon
jessica0301, General Manager at Hampton Inn Garden City, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you so much for the great review of our hotel. The GPS directions are a challenge since there are 2 North Avenues in Garden City. Depending on the GPS there are times when 1 North Ave will work and other times 700 North Ave will work. I also want to thank you for the information on the Hyatt Place next door. The lobby there is usually quiet but we do send guests there if they are looking for the closest place to have a drink.
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again the next time you are in the Garden City, NY area
Hudson Valley
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed here a few years ago on another project and I was very happy with my stay. Honestly, one reason is there are few choices in the immediate area, but I would have selected this location based on my past experience here.

Check in fast easy and friendly. The room, a king room, was very roomy. The work table faces the wall, away from the TV, but has a roll out table underneath that can be positioned to face with Tv with no effort, enabling me to work and eat while watching sports, new, etc. The room had a decent size mini-fridge with a small freezer compartment. It also has a basic microwave, both important to me as I tend to get my evening meal from local markets.
The bathroom was room, and clean. The toiletries were the standard Hampton type, nothing fancy, but usable. The towels wer not exactly the most plush or softest, but not a big deal. Daily cleaning was good and efficient.

The area had changed a bit since my last visit. It does has competition next door, with a Hyatt Place. Looks very nice, but usually higher priced than Hamptons. There is also much more shopping. down the street ( kind of weird, these 2 hotels share the street with a Staples warehouse and Pepsi distribution center and a coupel of small businesses)... there is a newer mall, with a small Nordstroms, other higher end stores and a Trader Joes. A reasonable walk to Target, Walmart, and Best Buy. There is a Stop & Shop Supermarket a couple of minutes by car.

The free breakfast was standard fare, with the addition of fresh cut fruit, and a hot oatmeal pot. Despite being a busy area, it was always kept well stocked with food and hot coffee and clean.

Wireless internet access was reasonably fast and free, just entering your last name and room #.

I would stay again in the area on a project.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank HudsonValleyGuy
jessica0301, Manager at Hampton Inn Garden City, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you so much for the great review and comments. The immediate area is certainly being built up with many shopping and dining choices. Our staff also does a great job and is the main reason many of our guests return.
Again, thanks so much for taking the time to review our hotel and hope you will consider staying with us the next time you are in the Garden City, NY area.
sf, ca
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I recently stayed at the Hampton Inn for my sister's wedding. We had booked a block of 13 rooms for all of my family. You would think that given the number of rooms that we had booked and that there was a bride in one of the rooms as well would have warranted a little TLC from the staff, but instead we got just the opposite.

I gave the front desk person, a list of all the names of our guests that were to check-in the Friday before the rehearsal dinner. She said that she was going off duty and would pass on the information to the next set of folks. I confirmed with her multiple times and she assured me that everything would be ok.

When my family started to arrive at 3pm, the front desk was totally incapable of checking folks in. No one had the list that I had previously left them and since I was out for a bridesmaid event, I wasn't able to help them in-person. So, my family spent an hour at the front desk trying to get into their rooms until I got back to the hotel at 4:30. I had also left keys for some rooms that I had already been able to check-into earlier that day. The names of the guests who were supposed to go into those rooms was written on the key folder, but of course the front desk didn't give those. They didn't even know that they were there until I asked for them. Again, this information was not passed down from one shift of receptionists to the next.

On top of it all, my sister (the bride) was given a room with a broken shower. Instead of giving her a new room, they first tried to fix it. Remember that she needed to shower and get going for her rehearsal. At this point due to all the check-in issues, we're about 30 minutes late. They decide that it can't be fixed, so they want to move her to a new room. Instead of giving her a key for a new room, they force my sister to vacate her current room (wasting time) before giving her the key for the new room. Now we're running about an hour behind.

Last but not least, all the hotel room charges were taken care by my family. However, some folks who had given their credit card upon check-in also got charged. So, not only did we have a terrible experience, but the hotel ended up getting paid TWICE for some of the rooms.

Of course, there were some highlights, Celia the night desk person was fantastic and extremely helpful and Chris the security guy helped us with lots of random requests the morning of the wedding which was really helpful.

However, the overall check-in experience was HORRENDOUS and the check-out experience was also unsatisfactory. I asked for a receipt that showed my room stay was assigned to my Hilton Honors card. The front desk lady promised me multiple times that she'd email it to me, but I'm still waiting to receive something.

If you're thinking of using the Hampton Inn as your hotel for wedding guests, DON'T. Use the Hyatt Place next door or some other place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Stayed here for two nights. Internet work fine, the room were large, staff was nice. The staff already make the coffee for the guest. Everything is very cleaned. The swimming pool are clean. The hotel near Trader Joe's.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 20, 2012

There are a lot of nice things about this hotel: excellent staff; commitment to conservation; clean spacious rooms with free WIFI; fridge and microwave in the room; and free breakfast with many options. It is located in a big box shopping district and there is a Bloomingdales outlet and Nordstrom Rack about to open next door. Easy access from the Meadowbrook Parkway.

The things that were not so great: small pool with limited hours (no option for a before-breakfast swim); no firm pillows; and loud A/C (no option to just have a low fan - I ended up sleeping with earplugs in). Plus, the room is not cheap at $200 per night (inc. tax) with the AAA discount. However, this seems to be the going rate in the area and not all the hotels offer free breakfast so it is a better deal than some of the others.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BostonNix
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed here for two nights recently on business. Internet worked fine, rooms were large, staff was nice. You can even walk, if need be, to local restaurants.

All in all, good value for the area. Would recommend staying here if you're in the area on business.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Long Island Marriott
Long Island Marriott
#1 of 1 in Uniondale
Hilton Garden Inn Westbury

Been to Hampton Inn Garden City? Share your experiences!