“Monday Night Date Night”
Review of Havana Central

Havana Central
Ranked #9 of 130 Restaurants in Garden City
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
NYC
“Monday Night Date Night”
Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

We transported ourselves out of the Long Island doldrums out to Havana Central for a Monday night date night (with the baby). Granted it is a 75 degree night and we sat outside which definitely improved the experience, nonetheless the food was very good. Drinks were average. I had a caipirinha and the wifey had a margarita. Probably should have stuck with the mojito. Next time. We will be back as long as the outside seating is available.

Garden City, New York
“Great atmosphere with lively music...drinks and food pretty good too:)”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

When you are here you feel like you are on vacation. The atmosphere is so intoxicating with it's lively music, people dancing to it's pulsating beats. Lots of choices for drinks and they are all good! Can be pricey but that's what happens when you are on vacation mode. Don't feel like you're in Long Island right next to Roosevelt Field Mall but when you're here just close your eyes, munch on their empanadas, drink some Sangria(highly rec) or Mojitos(my wife's preferred choice) and party party party like you are on vacation. A must order is their quava/honey baby back ribs...to die for! Full rack $24.95, half a rack $17...my opinion go for the full rack and take the rest home in case you are not hungry enough. I didn't quite like their paella...the rice was not done in the true paella form. The rice had too much liquid which made it taste more like a risotto than a paella. Come on for $29...it could've been better. Other members of our group had the skirt steak A+ $24.95 but the chimichurri sauce was a bit strange(more like a pesto sauce instead of the true form of a chimichurri sauce with red wine vinegar, garlic, oil and parsley). The vaca frita- crispy strips of beef marinated seemingly deep fried sauteed with onions were quite tasty served with a bed on cilantro rice and topped with a sunny side egg(still runny). A rating(forgot how much) and the pork shank B+ rating because it was just ok(again forgot how much).
The mojitos cost about $12(for the ultimate mojito) or $10(for the classic). Sangria's by the picture costs $45...served table side and the server puts all the components in front of you. I guess that makes a nice presentation and ups the price if you know what I mean. The sangria pitchers can fill about 5 glasses and looks quite pretty garnished with a slice of orange and filled with apples/lemons and limes. The red sangria is a bit too sweet with the agave syrup they put in so make sure you tell them to lighten up a bit on the syrup. The white sangria is very refreshing especially this time of the year and seems like it has a bit more of a kick...perhaps it was our second sangria pitcher so it felt like it was tastier. I guess if we ordered another pitcher we would've loved it even more...get the progression?haha For dessert, get the sampler dessert with the tres leches cake, flan and churros...all for $14. Not bad for all those calories. I didn't know that cuban espresso comes with so much sugar in the espresso so make sure they omit the sugar if you order a cuban espresso(I didnt know that). The coffee's are strong, oozing with foamy milk and quite delish! Service here can be slow but heck you are on vacation mode so that's what happens ain't it? Don't think you'll be in and out because it's a slow dining experience!

Overall a great place to take a date, go with a group whether family or friends and just kick back like you are on vacation. Not a place to go with your boss unless you don't want to talk to him/her because the place can be quite noisy. Fun place to be, bring your credit card and enjoy the atmosphere. Happy Eating and I'll see ya around the table of course!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank lejaceman
New York City, New York
“Cuba Libre!”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

First time here and as soon as I walked in there was a nice band playing and I immediately got in the mood to dance. The inside of the restaurant looked very nice. so we had a party of 5 and when we sat at the table 3 of us didn't have forks at the table but we all had knives and napkins. service was meh id say mediocre probably could've been better. maybe it was an off night not sure. it was a Wednesday night and the place was a bit busy. now the appetizers was good as we had the sample platter mariquitas the garlic dip could've been better I wasn't crazy about it as ive had better elsewhere. we all ordered and the skirt steak was good the pineapple chicken was good the vaca fritta (shredded beef fried) was good but I didn't care for the green rice (cilantro rice) no one complained about their food so that is a plus. dessert was very good the tres leches was delicious. would I come back? I definitely would if I was in the mood for Spanish food. would I recommend it? yes.

Stony Brook, New York
“Great food, lively music and friendly service”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

We went here to celebrate a birthday and Carlos was the waiter. He was attentive and saw to all of our needs, including a Tres Leche cake with a candle. :-)
The empanadas were really good, I would recommend trying them. I had the Cuban sandwich which was also good.
There was a 4-piece band playing Salsa and Meringue music in the front and my friend and I danced for a couple of songs.
All in all, a very nice place to take someone to celebrate a birthday.
I heard the place gets really crowded on weekends. We were here on a Wenesday and it was not as busy.

Hempstead, New York
“"Feels like Cuba"”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Once inside this well appointed restaurant it feels like you are in Cuba. The drinks are authentic and the empanadas were superb. My son had the Guava Glazed ribs that he absolutely loved and the fried calamari was one of the best I've had; really fresh, not greasy, and a wonderful dipping sauce. For a Monday night it was really busy including the outside seating. The prices are a bit high but it's worth the Cuban experience.