“Latin American food at the Mall!”
Review of Havana Central

Havana Central
Ranked #12 of 131 Restaurants in Garden City
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Not just cuban food, this restaurant includes many options specific to different Latin cultures. I chose monfongo which was slightly dry and not prepared as a cup or bowl as I am used to. That said, the sauce was full bodied and delicious and the shrimp was prepared perfectly. The portion was healthy as well, allowing me to make another meal from it. My friend ordered the crispy beef which was very yummy! The Classic Mojitio was delicious but needed an extra shot of rum. Overall, service was good and the food delicious. I would definitely return and recommend it!

1  Thank Amyb410

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

A stop here requires a Cuban sandwich . It melts in your mouth . The shrimp ceviche is just as watering. Decide on the arroz com gandules con pollo. Great choice. I had enough to bring home for lunch. I'm glad they are now in Long Island. Service is fantastic

1  Thank Honest_1Reviews
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My first time at Roosevelt Field location I have been to Time Square locations many times. First of all when we entered and said 2 people I was acknowledged but a couple came in after us and then they were seated before us and when we told the hostess she said she needed someone to seat us. That turned me off because we were both walk in customers. Then when we were given water waitress spilled it and didnt even clean it up. We ordered our food and it was fine. The man that brought our food out was a little rough he kind of threw the plates in front of us. I was told this location was rough around the edges but I tried it any way. Most likely I will never return to this one and continue visiting the one in Times Square.

1  Thank cdejesus68
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My first time dining here for a birthday dinner for my best friend on a saturday night, group of 7. It was pretty crowded but has an overall nice ambiance, very lively and fun. They had a live band and there was even a couple or two dancing located in the front of the restaurant. We sat in the other back dining area of the restaurant, waiter was very friendly with prompt service. He had great suggestions and just made you feel welcome. We had 2 orders of 3-empanadas to try every flavor combination they had and they were all absolutely DELICIOUS. Flavors included: beef picadillo, chicken sofrito, cuban, three cheese, spinach & goat cheese, shrimp. The amount of flavor packed into each of these empanadas were worth mentioning, authentic flavors and not too salty or overspiced, cooked to perfection! My main course I ordered the slow roasted pork with soro (rice and beans cooked together), it was super tasty, very well seasoned and cooked to perfection once again. I had a non-alcoholic beverage that had a name I can't pronounce but is essentially a smoothie in their passionfruit flavor and it was excellent as well. Overall my meal and experience was fantastic, food was delivered, fast and fresh and hot the way I like it. The only itty bitty comment I will make that I'm so-so about was the dessert. I didn't order dessert but they sang to birthday girls and brought out mini flan, this was not one of my favorite tastes for the night, very dense and not something I would order again.

1  Thank AbigailEliseGodfrey
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I've been to Havana Central twice so far since it opened and I was pleased with my experience both times. You can sign up for their "club" on-line to get a free appetizer or dessert on your first visit. The real perk is that they give you a free entree AND a dessert on or around your birthday. This took $28 off my bill. The fact that they take reservations on OpenTable is very important in the busy Roosevelt Field area. In addition, the food tastes great and they also make great drinks. It seems like this place is also a great spot for Happy Hour as well. I definitely will return again soon.

2  Thank abs628