“Stink bug crawling on ceiling ruined our stay”

Hyatt Place Garden City
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Garden City
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Woke up to find stink bug crawling on ceiling. My daughter and I had to brush our teeth in the lobby bathroom. The bug kept walking over sink then into closet then into light fixture then back. Every time we had to get something we would check to see where bug was. This guy was about an inch in size. No lightweight. I was told the manager would call. Nothing. I called later in the week but no return call. Even sent them a photo and showed photos to front desk. No help.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank lorraine H
hpgc, General Manager at Hyatt Place Garden City, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

I appreciate you taking the time out and filling out your comments on Trip Advisor and survey. I know you spoke with the manager after you posted your comment. I apologize that it was not sooner but we didn’t know until we got your survey. We did have our exterminator check the room and they reassure us that nothing else was in the room. The exterminator stated it must have come in with something because this is the season of insects coming out with everything blooming. We appreciate you staying with us and we hope to see you soon.

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Place Garden City

Reviewed May 9, 2013

The room was clean, and the layout was comfortable. I really like the L shaped couches, and little kitchen area. Although the sink and vanity are positioned in such a way that you can't use them without disturbing anyone else still sleeping. The rates were set up in such a way that you pay a full price for the privilege of possibly canceling. There really is no room service, you have to go down and get it yourself. Also the instructions on the web site tell you for GPS use a different address. Don't.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Bowfinn
hpgc, General Manager at Hyatt Place Garden City, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your stay. Your input is deeply valued, and we look forward to serving you in the future. With an updated GPS system our address is more easily accessible. Yet for a more dated system the alternate address listed on our website will be more compatible. Thank you again, hope see you soon.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Very clean. Courteous staff. The location is not so great but for business purposes it'll do. Agree w/fellow business traveler: I'm a business traveler, so I stay at lots of hotels. My priorities are cleanliness, then price and location. I picked this hotel from my research from other reviews. This property's price per night was a little more than others with the same star rating, but well worth the small amount of difference.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing our property, your feedback is deeply valued. We are excited to have all of the new business additions, to our local community. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I'm a business traveler, so I stay at lots of hotels. My priorities are cleanliness, then price and location. I picked this hotel from my research from other reviews. This property's price per night was a little more than others with the same star rating, but well worth the small amount of difference. First, the hotel is very new, so the odds of having a clean room are better. The room was super clean and smelled clean too! The staff was extra polite and check in was a breeze. The hotel is very close to the Meadowbrook State Parkway ramp so it was fast to get on and off.
Plus, if you're not a business traveler, but on vacation to Long Island, Garden City is in the middle and centrally located. The Roosevelt mall is in walking distance as well as the outlets too. I give this hotel a thumbs up and will stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing our Hyatt Place location. We pride ourselves on maintaining stellar customer service and an emasculate property. We look forward to welcoming you back to our property during your next stay.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We recently had to be in the Garden City area for business and this hotel seemed to have the best reviews. Got to say - great roomy room with a sitting area, coffee area, really comfortable bed. Tiny bath (my 6'-1" husband kept banging his knees on the door when closing it). Reception was friendly and helpful, but that is where the services end. You have to come downstairs to the desk for ANYTHING except ice. Breakfast was a joke - so crowded that there was no coffee left by 8:30 AM on a Sunday. The food selection was very limited(much apparently already consumed and not replaced) and did not look appetizing. We went to a local diner instead. The hotel is located in a somewhat industrial area that also abuts huge shopping malls - could be either a positive or a negative depending on your interests. This also comes with the worst traffic I have ever seen - even for a Bostonian. Aggressive drivers, long delays, not fun. No problem finding restaurants as they abound.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper level room.
1  Thank Susan F
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Been in the area dozens of times, mostly stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Westbury, but it was full this time, so I tried the Hyatt Place.
The concept is very similar, but for the rate they could hardly do better!
A firendly reception, very nice rooms, an exceptional quick breakfast and - of course - free wireless in the room.

Room Tip: Most rooms are spacious, accessible rooms offering even some extra space.
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed here two weekends in February 2013 for business. I was initially hesitant about the hotel bc as I drove up to the entrance I noticed that directly across the street is some kind of industrial manufacturing or distribution center.

Not a big deal for me bc I was there for business and the hotel was safe but I would be a little weary if I was travelling with young kids. For my purposes however, the hotel was conveniently located near the expressway and 15 minutes from Manhasset where I was going for work. A pleasant surprise was that the hotel was a half a block from a high end outlet center which included all my favorites like Nordstrom Rack, Saks outlet, Bloomingdales outlet, and Trader Joes.

The staff who greeted me were incredibly warm and friendly. I appreciated their recommendations for takeout dinner bc I found this wonderful place called the Burger Spot which had the BEST fries ever. The room was clean and spacious and I was very impressed by the spotless bathroom- the walkin shower was huge and had great water pressure. Access to internet was convenient, easy, and free (a benefit with Hyatt rewards platinum membership). I was also very impressed by the quality of the breakfast which was free to all guests. Their breakfast sandwiches had healthy alternatives (egg whites, spinach) and there was an abundance of yogurt, fruit, juices and LaColombe (!!!) coffee.

My only criticism was that when I initially walked into the room, it smelled of very strong cleaning materials (which was good bc the place had recently been cleaned) but also gave me a headache. Also, during my first night I was awoken by my neighbor who was talking very loudly about how it was only 4 am in the morning. The walls were very thin and the bed inconveniently located on the same wall as my neighbor's bed. Overall though it was a great stay(s).

Also consider these accommodations in or near Garden City
Long Island Marriott
Long Island Marriott
#1 of 1 in Uniondale
SpringHill Suites Carle Place Garden City

Been to Hyatt Place Garden City? Share your experiences!