“Clean and Comfortable”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Garden City
Southport CT
“Clean and Comfortable”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Only stayed one evening while we were in the area for a family event. The rooms are very spacious with a comfortable seating area, desk to work on, and small refrigerator as an added bonus. Large TV that is visible in both the seating area and bedroom. Free wireless works seamlessly. The bathroom was immaculate with a large shower, however there is no tub which could be a problem with small children. Check-in took less than 5 minutes. Added bonus, in addition to a free breakfast, they offer sandwiches and salads and wine (in addition to other beverages) from the Bakery Cafe. The hotel is in a very commercial area though with many other restaurants available and shopping galore - lots of great stores to choose from. There is a pool and fitness room also, although we did not use them. All in all a great choice and will stay here again when we are in the area.

1 Thank CTMom4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Rochester, New York
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We booked a block of rooms at the Hyatt for our wedding on August 17 and couldn't be happier!! The staff, specifically Jackie, were unbelievable. Jackie made sure we could accommodate all of our guests and continuously kept me updated on our block of reservations. The rooms were clean and the service was great. The staff made sure our welcome bags were handed out and even let us have a gathering after our wedding with our family and friends in the hotel bar after it closed. The continental breakfast was extensive with enough choices to make everyone happy. I HIGHLY ecommend they Hyatt!

2 Thank EricaC817
Columbia, MD
Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel several times and I really like this place. I usually travel for business which means I often arrive very late. I have arrived at this hotel as late as 1 AM in the morning, and there is always someone with a pleasant smile that greets me at the desk. My room is always ready and in perfect condition.

You can get a decent meal like a burger and a good glass of wine without having to leave the hotel. They also have snacks, Isoft drinks and pastries similar to what you would find in a Starbucks for purchase.

The free breakfast is great. Lots of variety. Quick check in an easy check out. I have never had a problem with my bill.

There is even a nice area to sit and socialize with other business travelers as well as a bar. Once you arrive at this hotel there is no need to leave unless you want to get out and see the sights.

The rooms are clean and attractive. The sofa is a bit odd, but I have never used it, since the television turns toward bed.

• Stayed August 2012
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We were very comfortable in this hotel. It is quiet, and our room had a comfortable lounge area. The breakfast was delicious. We brought children, and they were happy.

You might have trouble finding North Avenue if you have not been there before.

Room Tip: We were very comfortable in this hotel. It is quiet, and our room had a comfortable lounge area. Th...
Cypress, Texas, United States
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Nice spacious hotel, but definitely not kid friendly. If you'r traveling with young kids, stay away!!!! First and foremost the bathroom locks are not kid safe. They are accually bolt locks verus locks in the handle. If a young child decided to lock themselves in, they may not be able to open the door easily since its not in the handle.. You may need maintenance to open the door while the parent will be flipping out.
Second, they charge for every Nickelodeon show. $3.99 for a 24 minute show for a child to watch become pretty expensive.
A ripoff with kids, great without them.

Goshen, New York
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Perhaps I am too familiar hotels too well and therefore tend to expect a little more. I booked my wedding at a nearby venue. The venue referred me to this hotel. I then booked a group for my wedding guests. My entire block was filled by my group, a total of 20 rooms nights. My first impression was its ok...it is centrally located to shopping malls and the like but the scenary right around the hotel is industrial. You either look at the Pepsi factory or Hampton Inn. The rooms were ok...yes spacious but its Long Island so they should be spacious. My arrival was average. We actually had a wedding guest that wanted to book another room for the next night. I asked the front desk agent for a rate, she provided the rate said there were 5 rooms left, but said if I went to their business center i could book a suite for $10 less. I thought ok I am about to be married in 24 hours do I really want to be running around the hotel to save $10. I asked her if she could just book the reservation for me with the discount considering I had 20 rooms booked already, you know kind of a customer loyalty kind of thing. What do you think her answer was- well it was "sorry we arent permitted to do that?". So then I asked if the groom who was also staying at the hotel could possibly get a later check out of 3pm the next day as the limos were coming for us at that time. She told me to check in the morning with managment. Ugh do they not empower their staff to do anything at this place? I then asked if they still had those 5 rooms for my extra guest and asked for the rate, she gave me the same line as the lady from the night before. I told that extra guest not to bother and to book the Hampton Inn next door. The next morning I went down for their much bragged about breakfast on their site and found it was extremely crowded. It was kind of like fend for yourself. People were standing and eating their breakfast, plates in hand. There were tables that had no chairs to sit. It was chaotic, and a mess. I decided to go to the diner up the block (there goes that perk). When I got back I checked with "management" on that late check out for my groom. I was told latest they could do is 230p because they were sold out. So i checked online and saw that they were selling rooms. So I brought this to management's attention and was told that they were nearly full and that they could extend 3p for a charge. I thought so you will charge the groom of a wedding block of 20 rooms so he can have an extra 30 minutes? Management said they will have their boss call me. So she did and the General Manager herself calls my room gives me generic blah toned congratulations on your wedding day but sorry we cant extend the late check out without a charge. At this point it was 2 hours before we were to leave for our wedding and this was the last bit of stress I needed...so I relunctantly agreed because what else would I have the groom do hang out in his tux in their breakfast area? Oh it gets even worse. I left my room and the housekeeper on the floor saw me leaving at 330p in my wedding dress with photographers, and I asked her if they could refresh my room. She said yes...when I returned to my room at 1am after the wedding event my room was left exactly as I had left it at 330p, TV left on and all. To add insult to injury the housekeeper did in fact enter my room after I left, and her idea of refreshing the room was adding clean towels in the bathroom. I guess it was the end of her shift so too bad for me. To add insult to injury there wasn't even a congratulations card or anything from the hotel for the wedding. I have stayed at other hotels for lesser occassions and at least received a small token of appreciation from management. From arrival to check out it was an awful experience. Now where I had my wedding (Westbury Manor) their service was extraordinary. I sent Westbury a very nice letter regarding their service and staff. I then told them my horror story about this hotel and of course had to strongly advise them to avoid associating themselves with this hotel. With only 4 hotels in the area I guess Hyatt Place really doesnt need to apply customer service, but my experience with this one Hyatt would prevent me from booking any other Hyatt. Might as well book a 1 star hotel and save my money if I expect to be treated like I am staying a 1 star hotel.

Room Tip: Book the Hampton Inn...anything has to be better than this place.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank caribella
hpgc, General Manager at Hyatt Place Garden City, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Dear Guest,
We want to first thank you for your 12 rooms that booked with us. When booking a block of rooms with us we provide your guests with a special rate that is released a month before your big day. I’ am unsure as to who would tell you to book a room at our business center because we do not have suites at this location. When we spoke about the late check out; you stated you needed a 5pm check out that we were unable to accommodate your request on a sold out night. Being familiar with the hotel business you can understand. When you did however check out at 4:15pm we did take off the half a day rate off your bill as a courtesy. I apologize the Room Attendant misunderstood your request. She was under the impression you wanted new towels.
Again I want to apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.
Albertson, New York
Reviewed July 26, 2012

My sister in law and brother in law stayed here for 2 nights for their wedding events--I was in and out of the hotel for the 2 days as well with my sister in law. The hotel is centrally located in the Westbury/Garden City area close to tons of shopping, restaurants, and several catering establishments. There is plenty of parking, it is immaculately clean, there is a somewhat decent complementary breakfast, and the room was great with a king sized bed, walk in shower, large sink/vanity outside the bathroom, a sitting area with couch and large flat screen tv. There was a fridge as well. Lots of storage too. The staff was very nice and helpful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Long Island Marriott
#1 of 1 in Uniondale
Viana Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
SpringHill Suites Carle Place Garden City

Been to Hyatt Place Garden City? Share your experiences!