“Great experience with staff but the cupcakes..not so much.”
Review of The Cupcake Corner - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Cupcake Corner
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Seating
Description: All goods are baked on premises fresh every morning. We only use the finest ingredients, no artificial preservatives or additives. We specialize in cupcakes, muffins, croissants, wraps, cakes, pies, and we make our own ice cream. We also have specialty teas and coffees, and gourmet homemade hot cocoa in two flavors.
“Great experience with staff but the cupcakes..not so much.”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We went because of Groupon. Thankfully I was using Groupon otherwise I'd be really upset on wasting $ on a dozen cupcakes. The staff (teens) were very nice and cheerful. My husband had a red velvet and when I asked how it was, he replied "eh ok, doesn't seem fresh." So I bit into mine and thought hmm, yea doesn't seem so fresh but then realized that it's not because the cupcakes are not fresh but the cupcakes had more of a muffin consistency; very dense and crumbly. I wasn't too keen on the taste, had better supermarket cupcakes and I don't like those either. Not coming back.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank GCgal88

Franklin Square, New York
“What a Disappointment...Stay Away!”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

My daughter and I visited The Cupcake Corner on New Hyde Park Rd. in Garden City, NY; she wanted to go so I thought we would give it a try. I'm very sorry that we did.

The woman behind the counter, who was supposedly the owner, was curt and downright rude to us...not the manner in which one would expect the proprietor of a child-oriented business to behave.

Regarding the product, the cupcakes we ordered were dry - they actually seemed stale - and overpriced.

The entire experience was a major let-down and The Cupcake Corner is not a place we would ever feel comfortable in recommending.

• Visited February 2013
4 Thank Tracey K
New York
“Cupcake making class”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

For $20 they offered a cupcake making class. I was given one plain cupcake, a plastic knife, and icing in a ketchup-sized paper cup. The class also included a craft. It was a three inch by one inch ceramic slice of cake. Again the paint in a ketchup-sized paper cup. This was not a drop off. I stayed with my child. This was a complete rip off. When I asked for a drink for my child, she gave him hot chocolate and charged me an extra $3.75.
There was no interaction between my child and the staff. They placed the items on the table, and it was up to me to help him. I don't know how they can charge these prices. They misrepresented the cupcake making. There was no class. He was the only child there.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank Irene B
TheCupcakeCorner, Owner at The Cupcake Corner, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
We do not offer cupcake making classes, we never have. Our ad states that you can enjoy cupcake decorating and ceramic painting with your child any time between 9-6. We do not offer a drop off nor does it say drop off anywhere. It is not a class, its not called a class anywhere. Nor does it say cupcake making anywhere. It is unfortunate that you chose to give a small business a poor review based on your inability to read.
Levittown
“Second Review after reading Owner's review”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

After reading the owner's response:

Owner: "I'm sorry you were disappointed with the party. I wish you had contacted me about your complaints so that I could have responded to them that day. I did want to correct the many inaccuracies in your review, however:

(I asked to speak to the owner on the phone many times during the party, the staff in charged replied "We cannot get in touch with her, she is sick today")

Owner: "You booked an afternoon tea party that comes with the following food: scones, finger sandwiches, mini cupcakes, yogurt, fruit, tea, lemonade, coffee. You were concerned about the amount of food prior to booking this party, so I did throw in free mini muffins AND a sandwich platter with accompanying salads. I included those extras at no additional charge to you, in addition to reducing the cost of the party by more than 15%. I agree and admit that not all of the food came out at the same time, but all of the food listed above was served, and I also threw in the apple cider at your request."

(My complaint wasn't that the food you said you would provide wasn't provided, it was simply that you did not even provide enough for ONE for each person attending my party. As previously stated, 4 of my guests did not eat because there was not enough food!)

Owner: "Our tablecloths are new and perhaps they are wrinkled coming out of the packaging but they are not stained. The fall foliage was there, one of your party members that arrived an hour early to set up took the table decorations and put them around the room - the leaves were taken off the tables and were put on the sconces."

(I was the only one there early to set up and I put the fall foliage that I purchased on my own around the sconces, you had no fall decorations there, I brought everything with me, thank goodness. I have pictures to support my comment about stained tablecloths, in fact, your staff members suggested we "hide" the stains by turning them over, and still you could see blue smeared on 2 of your ivory table cloths. Also, I was there during set up, they were not in new packaging, they were in a plastic storage bin.)

There is so much potential in this little bakery. I wish you all the best in the future, with improvement, you could be a good place for people to have parties.

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank A U
Sorry, I have to correct you again. I will admit again that the food didn't all come out on time, but there was more than enough food for everyone. We had leftover sandwiches. Second, I purchased new tablecloths and fall foliage for your party, in addition to the extras that I threw in for free such as the muffins and apple cider. The fall foliage was removed from the tables by the FOUR people that you had come in early to help you set up. Third, my staff would have contacted me if you had asked regardless if I was sick, I've been out of the country and gotten phone calls. I will definitely attest to the fact that your party didn't go 100% the way it should have but you can't make the misstatements you've made, that's completely unfair.
New York, New York, United States
“I agree with A U -- Stay away!!!”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I hosted two events here over the past month - an afternoon tea for my mom and a birthday party for my son. I was disappointed with both events. We arrived for the afternoon tea right on time and tables were not set and atmosphere was cold. I was promised centerpieces of spring bouquets - receipt stated that flowers would be included - but no flowers anywhere to be found. I had to ask for tables to be set so guests could be seated. The tea was lukewarm and it took over 15 minutes to get hot water. The party was run by young, inexperienced girls. Food was sparse although I agree with prior reviewer who stated she was reassured by owner (Laura) that there would be plenty of food -- I was too. I has the same concern for my afternoon tea and Laura insisted there would be plenty of food. Scones were delicious but you would be better off buying the scones and catering the party at home. Very embarrassing to have guests for an afternoon tea and have cold tea, be served by teenagers, and leave hungry. Additionally, when I asked for milk for the tea, I was directed to a table across the room which had two small milk jugs. I insisted that they please bring the milk to the table instead of having guests have to get up to serve themselves milk, and they were completely confused by my request. The teenage, clueless server indicated that there were two different types of milk in each jug (one had 2% and one had whole) so she didn't know how to distribute to the tables. I had to tell her just to put one on each table. After the party when I was paying the bill, I attempted to address the fact that the flowers were missing. The person at the register contacted Laura who refused to speak to me at the time because her kids were sick. I was told she would get back to me but she didn't. I had my son's 3 year old party booked a couple of weeks after and although I was tempted to cancel the party, I had already sent out all the invitations, so my husband and I decided to go forward with it hoping this experience would be better. Unfortunately, it wasn't!! Big mistake!
Once again we arrived to a cold room, no music, no atmosphere - not what you would expect for a children's party. The first thing that was said to me was that they had run out of lemonade for the party. Would apple juice be okay. I asked them to offer apple juice and water as many kids may not prefer apple juice. It seemed that asking for water was a major inconvenience to them. After some guests arrived, I had to ask them to play music to get the party going and the young girl I asked couldn't figure out how to use the docking station to play it. It took a while to get the music playing. Once again, the staff was young and inexperienced. There was one young lady who was excellent and attentive, but she was constantly having to micromanage and instruct the younger, inexperienced teenage staff who were completely clueless. 45 minutes into the party, as I was conversing with one of my guests, one of the girls approached me to ask me if I knew how long the party was booked for implying that it was time to move on to the next activity and food. The kids were cookie decorating - which was a great activity - and they were having a great time. I understand they need to move the party along, and it's their job to do that, not mine. That's why we paid for a catered party room with activities and were expecting experienced and professional staff. The price certainly leads you to believe that's what you're getting. Overall, this party went smoother than the first. Unfortunately, it didn't end well. My husband and I went across the street to settle the bill and the staff could not figure out how to ring the party up on the cash register. The final bill was not prepared ahead of time and the inexperienced staff was faced with preparing the final bill and ringing it up on the cash register which turned out not to be such a straight forward thing. 15 minutes into the ordeal, I told them if they couldn't figure this out soon, that I would have to return to pay when Laura (the owner) was available. I was clear about the fact that I only had another 10 minutes before I had to leave to take some of my guests to the LIRR train that they had to make as there was an impending storm and their building was being evacuated. They finally called Laura who was giving them instructions over the phone, but once again, the task could not be accomplished. At this point, I told the staff I could not wait any longer and that I would return when Laura was in the store to charge me. We went back across the street, gathered our belongings, and left. Within minutes, I received a nasty and threatening phone call from Laura asking why I had left and stating she saw me leave. I returned her call and expressed my disgust with her lack of professionalism. She kept iterating that she couldn't understand why I would "run out on a $600 invoice. I thought I had made that pretty it very clear to both her and her staff and I once again repeated that I was happy to pay the bill once someone was prepared to charge me in a timely and professional fashion and my husband actually did go back after dropping off our guests at the train. If Laura was in the store, why didn't she come out and charge me herself instead of making me wait 25 minutes at which point I had to leave, and then return to pay the bill. By the way, she didn't come out the second time either. She didn't apologize a single time for any of the inconveniences of either party and when I brought up the flowers from the afternoon tea she stated, "How can I credit you for something that I didn't charge you for?" Although the flowers were not itemized on the invoice, it was written on the invoice that they were included. She also said, "If you were so unhappy and disappointed with your first party, you shouldn't have had the second party here." You are absolutely right, Laura! And I certainly won't be having another party there or patronizing The Cupcake Corner ever again!!
I was telling a friend of mine at work about my experience there and could you believe that she had independently heard a story very similar to mine from another friend of hers. Unfortunately, I hadn't told her I was having the party there before hand. Otherwise, I would have known better.
Think twice before booking an event here. You not only will not get your money's worth but will have your party run by young, inexperienced and unprofessional staff. And when you try to bring your concerns to the owner, she will only respond with rudeness if she responds at all.

• Visited October 2012
8 Thank Veronica C
TheCupcakeCorner, Owner at The Cupcake Corner, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
I was made aware of one complaint after we hosted your tea party - that you were upset about the fact that the flowers were not put on the tables (the flowers were actually in the back yard in vases) and that you were demanding a large sum of your party be refunded as a result of not having flowers that you were not charged for anyway. This was told to me by two different employees that spoke with you. When Louise called me while reviewing the bill with you after that first party, my children were both sick and I and told Louise to apologize for not putting the flowers out and to tell you that I would call you the next day. We called you twice after that - once the next day regarding the flowers and once several weeks later to confirm the details of your son's party.

After your son's party, I was called at home to review the bill with Liz, and we did so half an hour before the party was over. Then Louise called me to tell me that Liz was having difficulties with the bill, that's very true, so I went over there. When I called you, you began yelling at me about not having the flowers at the tea party more than a month prior. What I said to you at that time was that I was not aware that you were as upset as you were about the flowers, especially since you were having a second party with us and you hadn't called me on my cell phone instead of going through the store and having to deal with "incompetent and clueless" employees, as you described them multiple times. At that time, you stated to me that you "might" come back to pay the bill "at some point in the future when you could get there."

I have apologized to you about the flowers and expressed dismay that you were as upset as you were about them. As far as the employees are concerned - we always have an older staff member running each of our parties, along with a variety of different staff members, and some of them include teenagers of between 16-18 years old. We host between 6-12 parties per week, and some of the teenagers are much better than the older employees at entertaining the children. So we always have a mix of people. I'm not sure exactly what transpired regarding the milk - we only have whole milk and cream - we do not carry 2% milk. We have cases of pink and regular lemonade - the parents are asked if the kids want apple juice and/or water in lieu of the lemonade in case they don't like lemonade. I can't address the coldness of the room or the tea since this is the first I'm hearing of this, but I will speak to Louise who ran your tea party and get more information. Thanks for your review.