“A local gem!”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“A local gem!”
Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

We purchased a travelzoo voucher, on a whim. The food is amazing! The app of mussels is huge! We also had the portobello mushroom napoleon app, which was tasty. Entrees were phenomenal! Big portions to take home too! Don't miss the pesto oil for the bread! We will def. Be back!

garden city, ny
“Always a good experience”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Small place, but great food, friendly atmosphere and thankfully not a "little kid" place like Nona Bella's or Vincent's.

It is a good place to go hang out with your college friends before going dancing or to a party. Staff and owner very accommodating. Will try and seat you if at all possible even without a reservation. We would definitely go back again and again.

Visited May 2012
Garden City, New York
“Very nice”
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Small, intimate, spotless. Great food. Use it with clients on a regular basis. Owner, Ronnie, is usually around and makes sure that all is in order. Try the wonderful appetizers.

Visited January 2012
Cork, Ireland
“Great service but disappointing overpriced mundane food”
Reviewed February 3, 2012

My friend and I returned to Calagero's hoping for more of the subtle food we had had in the past. It was not to be. Although she requested that the meat sauce on her ravioli be less beefy, it came with chunks of steer (someone in the kitchen wasn't listening) and the ravioli was dull. My plate of sausage, broccoli rabe, and tomatoes would have been OK had the tomatoes been alive at some point in their brief lives rather than pink tasteless chunks. I have no complaint with the waitstaff, who were exemplary. But when I said something to the owner on the way out about the tomatoes, he got huffy -- I don't know how you say that in Italian -- and wanted to show me the receipt from where he purchased the tomatoes. Even as a rudimentary cook, I know that when tomatoes aren't in season, one uses sun-dried, or deep red canned San Marzano -- this shows a basic misunderstanding of what good cooking is. My friend and I concluded that we could have had a much more satisfying meal at our respective homes -- half the cost and none of the attitude from the owner. Addio, Calagero's -- another restaurant slides into mediocrity.

• Visited January 2012
“Pretty good place.....but”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

The food is great. But the very bright lighting takes the romanceness out if dinner. The waitress Barbara walks by 3 times and never asks if I'd like another glass of wine. And the restaurant itself reminds me of those railroad apartments....long n narrow. Weird. This restaurant has potential. But the infrastructure,staff, and ambiance kill it. Sorry