“the owners are dear friends i took my mom and dad there”
Review of Waterwheel Cafe - CLOSED

Waterwheel Cafe
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located on scenic Fall Creek with a view on untainted woodland along the shore. We offer Live Music every Friday and Saturday. The monthly musician's schedule is posted on our Waterwheel Cafe website. We offer group discounts and are willing to prepare a special menu by request. We reserve the fireplace-bar area for groups ranging from 20- 40. This assures an intimate dining atmosphere.
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I thought the food was great my dad being old was not accustomed to gravy o
n his steak and mom agreed. but they the whole meal had fried oysters

and dad liked them they were good drank some booze mom and dad had a good time.

There are newer reviews for Waterwheel Cafe

Reviewed July 13, 2013

July 12, 2013: Terrible experience. Went there with friend, ordered bottle of "WaterWheel" Shiraz which was at room temperature and had to ask for ice to bring up to a slight chill. Ordered French onion soup - strained - well it was just broth and a hunk of cheese at the bottom of the bowl. The fig/goat cheese salad had an overpowering truffle oil smell and taste to which my friend could barely choke down. Our entrees arrived and immediately upon viewing the mahi mahi was burnt and dry and my scallops were not cooked - not even slighty! We were told a new "sous" chef as of 1 pm that day and the waiter - who rushed everything - started 2 days prior. I would fire the "sous" chef and find someone who know how to cook. Just looking at our meals the "sous" chef should have been embarrassed to sent the order out. The waiter should have also noticed the poor condition our meals were in and sent them back before they even reached our table. The owner came over and was apologetic after inspecting our meals. However, they have lost us and whoever we speak with as customers. We left there and ended up at Mercato in Ithica - fantastic meal and service!

2  Thank Chris D
waterwheel_10, Owner at Waterwheel Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

1. Red wine is customarily served at room temperature, hence the Shiraz bottle was served that way. 2. It is true, the two entrees you received on Friday July 12, 2013 were below our rigorous standards. We offered you two new entrees at no charge but our offer was rejected.
3. Furthermore, we did not charge you for the bottle of wine or appetizers, even though they were consumed. 4. We fired the chef immediately on Sat. July 13 and left a message on your friend's answering cassette, informing him of this change in personnel, apologizing once again for the bad experience both of you had the previous evening ! Your server, who had been hired on July 11, was discharged as well (on Sun July 14). His services did not meet our standards either. We pride ourselves in providing excellent food and service. When this does not happen, we take immediate action!

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went to the waterwheel after hearing good things about the dishes and atmosphere. It literally blew our, already inflated, expectations out of the water! He had steak, I had scallops. We started with apps and salads. Everything was amazing. Cooked to perfection, and beautifully portrayed. The interior is gorgeous and the exterior grounds are lovely for strolling. I highly recommend this hidden gem to anyone.

1  Thank 1offchic
Reviewed April 1, 2013

A few friends of mine suggested I go here for dinner. We decided to try Easter brunch for our first time. Upon arriving we were greeted by a very cheerful pleasant waitress, who seemed genuinely warm and inviting. Unfortunately, she ended up not to be our waitress. We watched that waitress zoom around ( I was quite impressed) and eventually ours came over. I am not going to dwell on our waitress, as she wasn't BAD at all, she just wasn't as attentive as the other one. I had to ask what the specials were, and weren't told them all . I know this only because I overheard the other waitress telling her customers. My daughter ordered oatmeal to start and it was served WITH her main course, and she never asked if we wanted a refill on our wonderful drinks. I hope she was just having an off day. Now to the food. I had a lovely steak quiche with salad and soup, which was all very tasty. My daughter had the crab cakes,which she loved, but said could use a little more of the horseradish sauce. Of course she is a big fan of horseradish. My daughter then had a piece of key lime pie for dessert. The owner stopped by to check seeing as she had just made the pie that morning, to see how she liked it. My daughter got a big kick out of that. The restaurant itself is clean,and has a beautiful view, and the owners came by asking how things were.I would love to try again, hopefully for dinner. Would like to try their prime rib. Oh and on the way out, the same waitress who greeted us, made sure to to say goodbye, and wish us a Happy Easter. Little things like that mean a lot to me.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We have been to the Waterwheel several times over the past few years. It has one of the most interesting menus around, and they often have special meals, such as the Mardi Gras dinner we enjoyed last night. They have an expanded wine and beer list, and wonderful desserts, as well as appetizing starters and entrees. It is easy to satisfy any number and kinds of appetites here. The owners make a special effort to visit and chat with the diners, a nice touch that you don't often see any more. They truly appreciate that you have come to their establishment. Well worth a visit.

1  Thank Swimmom1050