“Great food and great service, well prepared.”

Rachel's Waterside Grill
Ranked #4 of 95 Restaurants in Freeport
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Front Street
Lindenhurst, New York
“Great food and great service, well prepared.”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The entire experience was very good. The lobster bisque was a little darker than normal, but it really tasted good. I had the Seafood paella, which was prepared as well as I have ever had it. Lots of seafood, 1/2 a lobster, clams, mussels, shrimp, etc. way more than I could eat. Personally I am not looking for a cheap meal. I look for a well prepared meal, friendly and attentive staff, and a decent offering of wine. This place has it all. Is this a bargain? Depends on your definition of bargain. If you are looking for less pricy, there are many less cost dinners available on the Nautical Mile. HOWEVER, you will not get the same quality. $29 for Seafood Paella? If it's good, of course I'd pay it. And I did, without any regrets. My wifes twin Lobsters were to die for. Perfectly prepared and seasoned. And then there was dessert. The NY Cheesecake parfait drizzled with Caramel, with sliced bananas on the bottom, was a very good end to the dinner, with a snifter of Grand Marnier. Price? WHO CARES! This is fine dining in a casual atmosphere overlooking the busy canal. Oh, by the way, I DID NOT pick from the price fix offering, because I'm not looking for the bargain, I'm looking for the specialty of the kitchen. The Price fix menu DID look good, and had several types of fish, cooked any of several ways, according to your liking. I can't believe anyone would complain about a meal when they are restricting themselves to only a portion of the menu. I saw dish after dish, come out of the kitchen, prepared to tantalize. Oh yeah, They were voted #1 on the Nautical Mile for three years in a row... You have to come here to have fantastic seafood. My suggestion is to get there early, before the crowd, if this bothers you. I did not find the noise level bothersome, as we were able to keep a conversation without raising our voices. Thumbs up!

Merrick, New York, USA
“freeport week price fix dinners”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Three of us had dinner last night at Rachel's. I have never been overly impressed with their food, but was anticipating an improvement after the Sandy repairs. We all had the special $26.00 dinner, (especially because all the a la carte items would have been much more expensive). The restaurant was crowded, noisy and the tables were too close together for pleasant dining or for the convenience of the wait staff. I had the salmon special, my husband had the shrimp over pasta and our friend had the tilapia. The appetizers were small. The salmon entree was well cooked, but bland, with the sauce way too lemony. The shrimp in the pasta special were inexplicably deep fired. Nothing on the menu indicated this, and the dish would have been much better without the addition of heavy breading and oil. Our friend enjoyed her tilapia. Desserts were fair. My husband's pecan pie was particularly dry. Overall the meal was nothing to write home about. Given the number of people attracted to this special weeks offering, it seem to me that the restaurant should have offered its best, instead of its cheapest. Nothing about the meal would encourage me to return.

1 Thank chai_13
New York City, New York
“Medicore on Freeport's Nautical Mile”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

A Saturday night birthday celebration brought nine of us together. Thinking that the mile is the place to go for a great seafood dinner, we headed to Rachel's. The place was noisy and the decor was simple if not stark. Hurricane Sandy truly made it difficult for the restaurants to regain their original charm and personality and unfortunately, this restaurant was one of the casualties. A casualty due most in part to the quality, portion size, presentation, creativity and price of the entrees. The server tried his best to be extremely accommodating and, he worked hard at trying to make us happy. The menu was small but even smaller were the portion sizes. I know we as Americans are accustomed to large restaurant entrees but, for the $31 price for the lobster special that was drier and smaller than any crustacean I have ever seen served at a restaurant, the dinner was not worth even an honorable mention. The broiled seafood dinner for $28 was a joke at best. There was more rice and beans (yes what an odd combination) than seafood. Another guest ordered the pasta with mussels and calimari; it was a portion of tasteless pasta with the same mussels and fried calmari that is offered in the appetizer section. This too, a joke. The entire plate was taken home and most probably will be wasted. The table bread baskets had all but four pieces of french bread and a few pieces of flat bread. The New England clam chowder was just OK. As I was leaving a woman was entering the restaurant for dinner and asked if I enjoyed the experience and told her to turn around and find another restaurant on the mile. If Rachel's wants to compete with the big boys, the food quality and portions along with taste must improve or simply lower the prices and hope that customers want a nice view rather than a memorable gastric experience. There are far better restaurants in the beautiful village of Freeport!

Long Island, New York
“Scenic and relaxed”
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We had the pleasure of dining at Rachel's last night. It was the most perfect weather and we sat in a really nice table on the outdoor patio with a view of the canal. It was so relaxing sipping wine and eating a delicious meal. The ahi-tuna nachos were fabulous and the appetizer portion of mussels done in several types of choices were HUGE! I ordered it as a meal and I still couldn't finish it. I had the them in the Gorgonzola sauce that was off the charts! Really yummy. I also had a side of sweet potato fries. Not greasy and delicious. My hubby enjoyed his scallop dish which was delicious as well. We enjoyed our time and Rachel's and will most definitely return for the atmosphere and food. Our server John was attentive , friendly and you can't ask for more that!

Visited September 2013
Surfside Beach, South Carolina
“Expected More”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Went for dinner on Friday 30 Aug. 2013. Arrived at 19:15 we went to the bar for a pre-meal cocktail. The bar was very crowded and far too small. We eventually got seats and proceeded with our drinks. The two bar maids were friendly and attentive, but as mentioned earlier the physical layout is inadequate. Our reservation was for 20:30 and we progressed to the table. Once again, the physical space was insufficient to the need. The wait staff was excellent as were the meals. The view of the canal from our table was pleasant watching the water traffic go past. It is the building itself that lets this establishment down. The staff and the food pick it up but can only lift it so far.

• Visited August 2013