“Not good.”

The Freeport Inn and Marina
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This is rather long, but I'll try to occasionally inject some comedy into this diatribe for your viewing pleasure. :^)

I'll start by saying that due to business (and occasional pleasure) I have stayed in hotels of all varieties in all kinds of places from New York to Anson, TX. I've never written a negative review before and I hope I never need to again. For one thing, I consider myself pretty easy to please and also because everybody and everything has there occasional ups and downs and I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. But this place is not good. Consider yourself sufficiently warned, enter at your own risk. We were visiting our kids in NYC and wanted to get out of town for a day or so and we chose Jones Beach, we chose Freeport as a home base for the night.

Apparently there are only two hotels in Freeport, so we didn't have much of a choice. (suggestion for one of the major chains, you could probably do pretty well with something nice in the area, especially if you provided a shuttle to Jones Beach. And we had a lot of fun Saturday night walking up and down the "Nautical Mile". There were a lot of people at the restaurants, shops, bars, etc. It looked like a pretty happening place. I don't know where all the people stayed, maybe they're locals.

So the hotel: The staff was nice, but the property is not. I believe it was relatively clean, but it didn't really "feel" clean. Does that make sense? There was a gap under the door that was approximately 1 1/2" at one end and tapered off to about 3/4" at the other. Definitely large enough for bugs, and probably large enough for rodents with smaller heads and sharp teeth. We stuffed it with a couple towels so we wouldn't be eaten in our sleep by unwelcome creatures. I told the manager on duty about it and he seemed surprised. "The weather stripping probably needs to be replaced", says he. I politely nodded but I wanted to say "No, the whole door assembly was installed wrong and IT needs to be torn out and replaced". (I may have been born at night, but it wasn't last night). The restaurant next door is supposed to be great, but when I found out that it was owned by the hotel, nobody wanted to eat there. And here's the biggest kicker - 1 room, 2 doubles, 4 people, with tax for one night, it was pretty close to $275.00!!!! Huh? Maybe $75, but $275?

So, there you have it, my first Trip Advisor review, and hopefully my last negative review.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Kingro119
freeportmarina, Manager at The Freeport Inn and Marina, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

We were taken back by the term did not "feel" clean. Our staff is vigilant in their efforts to make sure all rooms are cleaned properly.

Please be aware that room rates on Long Island are much higher than most parts of the country. Our rooms are priced in par or lower than other establishments in the area.

Thank you for pointing out the issue with your door, which since has been corrected. We do however find no comedy in the fact that you decided to summit a negative review basically because there was a gap under you door.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Back in 2010 I stayed here they had just renovated and it was a little rocky experience but our recent stay was great! Hotel staff was very friendly and responsive. The rooms were nicely furnished and equipped.

Only problem is that the carpets were very dirty which we figured was because the Asphalt lot tracks tons of black debris into the rooms. They need a solution to that or they will always have dirty carpets, the present solution is mats outside the doors of each room. I don't think many people wipe their feet when entering a hotel room.. it's just not intuitive.

We did have some communication problems between the hotel staff and the events planned at the patio restaurant but that was explained away that they are run as separate entities.. well someone should have mentioned that weeks before when I kept inquiring regarding the calendar ....
I enjoyed the quiet location with a great view! Will be staying again soon!

Room Tip: Book the higher priced rooms and you will get a much better experience if you are expecting a deluxe...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
freeportmarina, Manager at The Freeport Inn and Marina, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Due to Hurricane Sandy we had several restoration workers that occupied our rooms for an extended period of time. This caused some rooms to have excessive ware to its carpets.
We have replaced all of the carpets in question and completed any other repairs associated with the hurricane.
Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention and we look foward to your next visit.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Although this is more of a Motel rather than a Hotel, It was clean and plenty of room. The Patio Restaurant was amazing!!! I didn't mind paying the $$$$, The food was the best I have had in a long time. I also loved that smokers were not banished to a corner but had a Large area with wicker furniture to relax and have drinks around the fire pits. The staff was great .

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor close to the road and marina but it was not noisy at all. I would b...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank sweetjazoo
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I called Nicole to tell her that I needed to cancel my reservation. She told me that the reservation cancellation was 48 hours prior or they couldn't cancel it. I had never heard of such a thing. I asked so what happens now? She responds, We charge your card. I asked, For how much? She replied, FOR THE FULL AMOUNT OF YOUR STAY.
WHAT!?
I told her that that was ridiculous that John had told me 24 hours notice. I could have sworn that was what he said, I now know it's 48 hours. She proceeded to hang up on me SIX TIMES. I finally spoke to Erica who apologized and said that I need to speak to John, who I made my original reservation with, to cancel. I needed to call back at 4:30pm. I rearranged my flight so that I could cancel and get him live and not have the full amount of $965.00 put on my card. I call back and John doesn't know I had to call him when he's not the Manager, he wouldn't give me the owners name and told me that he couldnt' cancel my reservation, but would have me down as a "no show".
For the amount that they charge - $965.00 for five nights - do yourselves a favor, go to a real hotel with actual concierge that know how to handle customers. It's not about losing $165.00. The point is that that they don't know their own policies, their staff should be employed working with weeds instead of customers, and the only reason I was coming there is because it's three minutes from my family home. I was warned not to go to this dump.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Johanna F

This guest was informed of the 48 hour cancellation policy at the time of her reservation and was emailed a confirmation stating this policy.

Unfortunately she had trouble grasping the timeline and refused to accept these terms. In fact she took it upon herself to call no less than twenty times, giving the person on duty no choice but to eventually not except her repeated calls.

Our staff always treats our customers in a professional manner, but this guest decided to become a disruption to our business rater than except the responsibility of the one night penalty, which was agreed upon when her reservation was confirmed.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I have been to this hotel many times over the past 2 years. My husband and I stay for 1 night to visit an elderly aunt. Thus far, we have been satisfied with the accommodations. The rate has always been average, and the rooms as well. This past weekend the only room available was the "Retro" room. This unfortunately, was not a pleasant experience. The room was supposed to be a modern and newly renovated room. It had no closet which was not only an inconvenience, but very strange. It also had no phone or clock! The price was also very expensive at $200 for the night! In the past the "regular' rooms that we have stayed in were at least $60 less per night,and had the "normal' creature comforts that are usually standard in a hotel room! (phone, clock and closet area).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 15, 2013

When we booked the Freeport Inn and Marina all we had to go by was there site. We just wanted a Saturday and Sunday night away. Don't be fooled. The pics on the site are much MUCH better then the actual place itself. 1st off that pretty room you see on the site? It doesn't exist. It must have been a "mock up" room for the site. We paid $120 a night through a booking site.

Upon arriving we we're disappointed. We were told we couldn't cancel - not even the 2 nd night- since we went through a 3rd party. The portly gentleman behind the counter said he would 'upgrade' us for free and we would have a view of the marina. That ended up being a bunch of bs!

Upon arriving to the "upgraded" room we found the door wide open. The room was made up but there was a half drank diet coke in the fridge! Also our view was of the back of the kitchen vents and a boat lot and not of the so 'marina' which was more like an inlet.

In the restaurant there we had a small ( one person size) veggie pizza which they charged $16 dollars for and looked like it came out of a microwave and rated like cardboard.

The 2 nd night was even worse! Being Sunday night we wanted to get to sleep so went back early unfortunately we found out it was 'Latin Night'. The music was so loud it sounded like the wals were made of printer paper. I called the front desk, from my cell phone since the room had no land line, and spoke to the same portly gentleman. This time he told me that the band was only till 10pm and the music inside would play till 2am! He then said in a condesending way that we could move our room. It was already 9:45 so I figure I would wait it out as I didn't feel like packing up all my stuff and lugging it to another room. 10pm came and went and the music was the same volume! I was kept awake till 2AM!

Also the continental breakfast isn't one at all. It's a carb breakfast. Only bagels, 3 sugary cereals, and waffles. No fruit or anything else. I went around and took pics. Please take a look. I highly advise anyone thinking of booking here not to do so unless they have no other choice!

• Stayed: May 2013
5  Thank Joannasorama
freeportmarina, Manager at The Freeport Inn and Marina, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

The picture you saw was that of the Superior Room, which does exist and has been rented several times.
The Retro room we selected for you is new from top to bottom. We are sorry that the retro decor was not to your liking.
We were surprised to here that you were not comfortable with the noise resonating from the Patio Lounge. We are continuously monitoring the sound levels. The particular nights you stayed with us had very low levels after 10PM.
We also find it unnecessary to use any adjectives when it comes to describing any of our employee's appearance.
The bottom line is that we are disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us, as we strive for 100% customer satisfaction.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I flew to JFK from England for a gig at Jones Beach, I know NYC very well but not so much the surrounding areas as I don't drive. I booked The Freeport Inn and Marina based on feedback from this website and I knew I wouldn't be spending much time at the actual hotel, it would just be a base to come back to after the gig.

The staff were lovely and friendly and even when I emerged from my room late the next morning after shamefully sleeping in, they'd kept me some breakfast, made me a coffee, recommended taxi companies to take me to the LIRR station and generally helped me all round.

As a solo female traveller on a budget it's not all about 5* luxuries and frills and fancies. It's about feeling safe, looked after and well-rested. And I felt very looked after during my stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Sam H
freeportmarina, Manager at The Freeport Inn and Marina, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Thank you for remembering us. We appriciate you kind words.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Ramada Rockville Centre
Ramada Rockville Centre
#4 of 4 in Rockville Centre
4 mi away
Best Western Mill River Manor
Best Western Mill River Manor
#2 of 4 in Rockville Centre
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Rockville Centre
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton R...
#1 of 4 in Rockville Centre
#1 of 1 in Uniondale
Allegria Hotel
Allegria Hotel
#1 of 2 in Long Beach

Been to The Freeport Inn and Marina? Share your experiences!