“not bad, but bring your larger wallet”
Review of River House Grille

River House Grille
Ranked #45 of 98 Restaurants in Freeport
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner
Description: We have reopened River House Grill. (Waterfront dining) River house grille (Waterfront Dining) has New Management, New Menu, New Staff, New Cocktail specials and a New Look. (We still have the Nautical Feel we are famous for) Indoor & Outdoor seating. Every Monday: TRIPLE "M" MONDAYS: 2 for 1 Mojitos, Margaritas,and Mussels! Every Thursday, 2 For 1 Lobster, Clams & Oysters Arrive early Thursdays for our Happy Hour 12:00pm-6:00pm $4.00 (well) Drinks, $5.00 Wine, $3.00 Draft Beer LUNCH SPECIAL: Our chef has added his own flare to our lunch burgers. These are no ordinary burgers. (Our patrons have dubbed them "Monster Burgers"!) 10 oz. ANGUS BURGERS, served with Steak Fries CHAR GRILLED..Lettuce, Tomato, onion, pickle. BREAKFAST BURGER, Fried Egg, Bacon, Cheddar, Fried Onions BUFFALO BURGER..Carrot, Celery, Pickle, Blues Cheese, Buffalo Mayo MEXICAN BURGER..Sliced Avocado, Red Onion, Tomato, Monterey Jack Cheese, Cilantro Jalapeno Sour Cream PHILLY STYLE ..Red Wine Caramelized Onion, Wild Mushroom, Gruyere Cheese, Chipotle BBQ Mayo LUMPCRAB .... Crab Salad, Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Roasted Chili Lime Mayo Visit us on facebook and on the web for an up to date lists of specials and our live music schedule. We look forward to seeing old friends and to meeting new ones. Please stop by and we welcome a review here on Trip Advisor. River house grille, reads all the reviews and will reply to you.
Reviewed July 18, 2013

The wife and I stopped here on a recent Wednesday night at around 7:30. The place was small inside, but empty, so we sat right down. The greeter was friendly enough and so was the waitress, though not overly so. The décor of the restaurant was "woodsy", but clean. The two sliding doors to the outside seating area were open so much the a/c was almost non existent on this very hot, humid evening.
The menu was not extensive, but adequate, with equal offerings of steak, fish, and pastas.
The first thing you will notice are the exorbitant prices. I expect to be gouged on the Nautical Mile, but this place obviously thinks pretty highly of itself.
We started with the fried calamari appetizer and were surprised to find that it was a nice portion, tasty, and also lightly battered. Most places use way too thick a batter, but not here.
We both then had the coconut crusted Tilapia over baby mixed greens. The pieces of fish were surprisingly large, and the meal was delicious.
The bread with seasoned oil they put on the table was also quite tasty.
I thought about ordering the $42.00 rib eye steak, but that was a bit rich for my palate.
The specials were numerous, but had no prices on them. You may want to ask before ordering one of those. We didn't order any drinks, but overhearing the next table's comments while scrutinizing the bill, it sounds like you'd need a separate wallet for beverages.
Overall, though at first shocked by the steep prices, we enjoyed our decent sized meals. I doubt that the Tilapia, which is a relatively cheap fish, was worth what we paid, but I've had worse price- gouging experiences elsewhere.

1  Thank Mark S
There are newer reviews for River House Grille

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We did not have to wait for a table and we chose to sit outside because it was a nice evening. Kenny our waiter was very friendly and helpful in helping us choose our dinner since it was our first time there. The portion was so huge we decided to share a meal and we were plenty full.
It was a great evening.

Marjorie J, Public Relations Manager at River House Grille, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

So glad you enjoyed yourself. It's always nice to read a pleasant review.
Hope you return to visit the River house grille this summer!

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I hadn't been to the Freeport "Nautical Mile" since the devastation of Hurricane Sandy, and was glad to go back and see how much had been rebuilt and refurbished. My group was in a great mood, and hungry; we picked the River House Grill because it had a great view and indoor, air conditioned seating.

The service was slow for no particular reason (the place wasn't crowded), the waiter's attitude ran the gamut from disinterested to surly, and the food was quite ordinary, especially for the price.

Go to Freeport and support the many merchants who are struggling to rebuild. Bring your appetite and eat well, but not at this restaurant.

I am going over all the reviews River house grille has had in the past year. Some are good, most not so good. The reviews are important and the owner has listened. River house grille has undergone a complete transformation. It is now under " New Management", New staff, New Menu, New Chef, New attitude.
River house grille appreciates every reveiw, even when it's bad. It means we must improve, and we have.
River house grille appreciates your business and has made all the corrections needed for a successful business.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Beware I was here with my family on 6/23 of this year the place looks nice......BUT first let me start off by saying our waiter NEVER introduced himself to us...then from one mistake to the next (on my waiters part). My mistake was that I went in there to begin with....there was a couple sitting next to us that was getting all the waiter's attention (I found out later). The waiter kept reassuring the couple that he's doing his best to bring the food out (apparently computer was down) NOT ONCE DID HE COME TO TELL US why for an hour and a half we were sitting there hungry. DID I MENTION that I had my 10 and 6 year old there? Well anyway when the waiter FINALLY brought the food over my 6 year old had to wait at least 10 mins for his food to get there (who brings out the adults food before they bring out the child's food? Anyway FOOOOODDDDD WAS HORRIBLE!!!!! HORRIBLE!!!!! Only my husband finished his plate. Well the bill came and it said a decent hefty price. But I noticed there was no place for a tip (my waiter didn't deserve one any way) so we leave very disappointed.....a few days later I check my account and see that the restaurant added on a $20s to my bill. So I called to complain (let me back track for a second. I had to stop some random waiter to ask him to find my waiter, he sent over the manager to I guess help?!?!? Anyway never were we asked if we needed anything else to drink, if the food was alright and STILL didn't know my waiters name). Now after realizing my waiter added on $20 to my already almost $200 bill needless to say I was FURIOUS!!! When I called to speak to the manager (who admitted that there were a lot of complaints that day) he seemed like he wanted to rectify the issue. First he said "bring your receipt in and we will reimburse you for your dinner" and how "he's on my side" how "my waiter was wrong" I kept telling the manager "it's not about getting the money back it's the principle behind it" he KNEW he was guaranteed a tip cause we were a party of 5 or more so he didn't have to work for the tip...hence the reason why the couple next to use got better treatment. He HAD to work for that tip...anyway...I got my receipt as the manager told me to do and that's when I found out my waiters name JASON manager sounded shocked when I mentioned his name. So much so that when I relayed the name to the manager ALL OF A SUDDEN HE CHANGED HIS MIND ABOUT REIMBURSING ME THE WHOLE BILL to now only wanting to give me back my $20. Well I decided to take him up on his offer. Why oh why is it when I get there he wanted to dissect the receipt and make it seem like I was lying? I gave him the SAME receipt that JASON gave me when I paid. The manager RONNY made it seem like I was begging for money even at one point trying to throw money my way like I was homeless.... On my LIFE I beg of you all don't trust this shady business. There was more to this story but I'm just getting too aggravated reminiscing on how the river house treated me and my family not once but TWICE!!! Taking it further than just Facebook and yelp!!! I would have given the waiter a tip. Matter if fact here it is TREAT EVERY CUSTOMER THE SAME WORK LIKE YOU ARE WORKING FOR A TIP!!!!!

2  Thank SandraH090

I am going over all the reviews River house grille has had in the past year. All I can do is apologize for the way you were treated. The reviews are important and the owner has listened. River house grille has undergone a complete transformation. It is now under " New Management", New staff, New Menu, New Chef, New attitude.
River house grille appreciates your reveiw, even when it's bad. It means they must improve, and they have.
Hopefully, you will stop in when you are on the mile again. I'm sure your experience will be totally different. Our present staff are all about service and happy customers.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I've been to this place once in the past and I could remember why I didn't come back sooner. Well my friend reminded me that is was the poor service. Our waiter was horrible. We could never find him. Esp. when my food was undercooked . Well I got the manger's attention and they prepared another lobster tail for me. Meanwhile, all this time the waiter never comes back. It took over 25 minutes to get another glass of water. Good food bad staff

I am going over all the reviews River house grille has had in the past year. All I can do is apologize for the slow service. The reviews are important and the owner has listened. River house grille has undergone a complete transformation. It is now under " New Management", New staff, New Menu, New Chef, New attitude.
River house grille appreciates your reveiw, even when it's bad. It means we must improve, and we have.

River house grille appreciates your business.