“Disappointing visit”

Ranked #3 of 3 Fredonia B&B and Inns
ohio
“Disappointing visit”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Just totally disappointed in our stay here. Didn't seem like a real B&B, more like a hotel with B&B furnishings. Room was very small, many chipped pieces of furniture. One table next to the bed was leaning, cell phone kept sliding off of it. Bathroom was in need of some repair. Continental breakfast? Forget about it - some bagels and tea/coffee on a small table in the
lounge. The two different ladies we had checking us in and out were extremely nice, however, we would never stay here again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank girlcat
Melanie G, Manager at White Inn, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your stay at the Inn. We are making improvements every day and appreciate your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
New York
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We checked in late on a Saturday evening and were greeted warmly. We were booked into a room on the second floor facing the front.

The size of the room for 2 twin beds was immense. No stubbed toes here. Bathroom was adequate. At check in the hostess noticed that there were three persons instead of two and knew right away that she would need to bring another set of towels. Forward thinking like that is a plus.

As late as it was most eateries in town were closed. We ate at the onsite restaurant and were ever so glad that we did. Great food, good wine selection. Desert was a chocolate mousse cake to die for and peanut butter pie that was super rich. We even came back the second night -just- for the deserts.

If the restaurant is not your thing, walk the two blocks to the Elcotsville Brewing Company for a cold beer and good selection of burgers and such.

Breakfast is a light continental with muffins, juice, coffee, tea, bagels. Nothing to get stuffed on but enough to get you going on your way out the door.

Good walking distance to most things in the old section of town. Only a 1.5 miles from SUNY Fredonia.

I think some of the other reviewers would like more modern amenities, but forget that it is a historical inn and some of those things are just not feasible. There are quirks to be chuckled at, not dismayed.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the back tend to be smaller.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank upstatejay
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I decided to stay at The White Inn instead of one of the area "chain" hotels while visiting overnight for a special event at nearby SUNY Fredonia. Despite some less than stellar reviews, I decided to give this place a chance. In making my reservation online, I chose the Marmaduke Suite on the third floor. (I found the prices reasonable and enjoyed being able to select my own room from pictures on the Website.) I found the Inn to be very charming and, with the exception of the bedspread, which could have used some updating, the room was clean and reasonably well maintained for the age of the Inn.

I especially enjoyed the seating area in my room, which included a fireplace, and the old books that lined the built-in shelves. I opted to have dinner at the hotel. Since I didn't see a room service menu, I ordered my food in the lounge. Noticing how tired I was, one of the hotel employees, who worked in the lounge, graciously said she would bring my meal to my room. (So I took my wine upstairs and was soon treated to impromptu room service.) The meal was excellent (with huge portions) and everyone bent over backwards to ensure that my stay was pleasant.

My only regret at the end of this very brief stay was that I couldn't stay longer. I really appreciated the efficiency of the staff and their effort to make this a place that I would want to visit again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TJohnson0228
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is an old inn in my home town. I know the restaurant better than the lodging but have been taken on a tour of the rooms. The rooms that I saw each had an individual decor and were very well done. Since I have never spent the night you should check other reviews for the lodging aspects. However I have eaten in the restaurant many times - going back to my childhood in the '50's when I attended Rotary Club Christmas parties here. While I loved them, the inn and restaurant have both greatly improved since then. The food is very good and quickly and pleasantly served. Many of the people who stay here come for an event associated with the State University of New York at Fredonia. The Inn is on the eastern edge of the downtown area and it is a short walk to twin parks in the center of town each with a cast iron fountain. It's quite charming. If you are driving on the thruway and come to the Dunkirk-Fredonia exit, I recommend getting off for a break at the inn. You could just have a drink, alcoholic or non-alcoholic on the porch, take in the scene and be ready to resume your travels relaxed and refreshed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Fredonia, New York
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Carrol and I did our annual Red,White and Blues festival on 9/8/12.It runs Friday and Saturday but we just do the one day that has all the Bands in town.The morning monsoon was in effect but tapered off before "Gina V and the 3rd Degree Blues" played,great band.The White Inn moved them inside because of the threat of more rain.Our room was fine,it hasn't been renovated yet but was clean and comfy.The Inn is still running under split management,one for the inn and one for the restaurant and bar.Food was great we had soup(French onion for Carrol and Chicken Gumbo for me) followed by stuffed hot peppers with melted cheese and champagne during the show(1:30-3:30pm).We went down town and caught a few more Bands and drinks(they suspend open container and as long as you use your manners there is no problem with the foot patrol)then went back for dinner on the veranda.Carrol had prime rib(two thumbs up from her)and I had a strip steak(also two thumbs up)along with another bottle of champagne followed by an elevator ride.A very good visit with no snags(includes a breakfast voucher good for a choice from two featured items).We rebooked for next year 9/7/13,hope it's as good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We had friends in town for a wedding and we wanted them stay at the White Inn. Realizing that the White Inn is under new ownership I got online to read some of the reviews and became concerned about sending them to the White Inn. Long story made short, they had a great stay and thought the place was great!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 24, 2012

After reading some of the reviews I was a little concern with my decision to rebook a room. I have stayed here once a year for the last 5 years and was concerned about the new mangagement and the increases in room fees. When we arrived we were greeted by the nicest young lady, she did a great job in checking us in. I noticed lunchers on the porch and a newer cocktail lounge, very nice. Our room was pretty much the same but with newer mattresses, thank you. This is an old hotel and that is what makes it charming. There is breakfast included, a choice of two and our waitress was lovely. I was happy to see the changes for the good, but I do"nt think any higher increases in room charges would be a good idea.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fredonia
Comfort Inn
#1 of 6 in Chautauqua
Holiday Motel Westfield
Holiday Motel Westfield
#2 of 2 in Westfield

Been to White Inn? Share your experiences!