“Expensive”

Woodbury Winery & Vineyards
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Fredonia
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Home of the "Best Chardonnay in the Northern Hemisphere" (Intervin 1988), Woodbury has been producing exceptional wines since its inception in 1979. With the talented and well-known winemaker Phil Hazlitt (6th generation grape grower and winemaker for over 30 years) at the helm, Woodbury continues to produce top quality wines right here in the largest grape growing region East of the Rockies! Come explore our fun, casual tasting room where you can "Sip & Shop" the many NY artisanal handcrafted Food Products, local Works of Art, & other Wine Gift Items, including Gift Baskets! Join us in our updated Wine Lounge/Media Center, where you can sit and relax at a comfortable sofa or chair while sipping a glass of wine. A variety of movies, board games, wine publications, local papers, etc. are available for your enjoyment! Outdoor lawn games, including Volleyball, Badminton, Bocce Balls, are also available in the warmer months. Our Wine Lounge is available for your special event. We also offer Wine Catering services at your event venue. Conveniently located just off the "beaten trail", less than 3 miles (5 minutes) from I-90 (New York Thruway), and just 3/4 mile South of Route 20, this is a stop you won't want to miss!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This was one of the stops that participated in our Lake Erie wine package that we purchased from Ohio. The other wineries offered a generous $25 certificate, etc to use towards our purchase, tasting or gifts. Woodbury gave us a very skimpy cheese plate. The wines were "okay" but over-priced. If you're visiting a lot of wineries- put this one on the bottom and visit only if time permits.

1  Thank Tammy J

Reviewed October 25, 2013

We were enroute from Niagara Falls to Pittsburgh and wanted a winery stop to break up our travel day. Chose this winery from the billboard and we were glad we did. It was just a few miles from the highway, so we didn't waste a lot of extra time/miles. It's a pretty small place, but is very quaint inside with some amazing art, by a local artist that looks like stained glass from far but is really painted fabric. We learned they are now offering painting parties, that include some pizza and wine. Check with them for details. We were the only people there on a Monday afternoon in fall and the gal who poured our tasting was very nice and informative. We enjoyed several of the wines and felt the tasting fee of $4 for 6 tastes including a souvenir glass was an excellent value! We liked their selection of wine gifts and purchased several items along with some wine. Enjoyed seeing some grapes on the vine and pretty fall foliage along the road. Great quick stop. Wish we had time to spend exploring more of this wine trail.

2  Thank trishtogo
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in for a break on trip. Bartender totally ignored us. She didnt inform us about the tasting or anything else. I requested to taste the wine I wanted to purchase. She was just as rude to my friend. I understand weve been on the road all day, but, really??!!

1  Thank Jej55
Reviewed May 30, 2013

For a $4 tasting fee (includes souvenir glass) you may select 6 wines to try. One that I wanted to try the staff member said that his bottle was gone, and went to check. He did not know why we could not taste, and I asked if another bottle could be opened. Another staff member came over, I think she may have been a manager/supervisor, and proceeded to lecture me about how they only have a limited number of bottles of that wine left, and the next year's batch is not yet ready.

The staff member conducting our tasting did not seem to know very much about the wines and was not able to answer my questions. He also mentioned that the winery had just re-opened after a period of not doing well.

I personally did not care for their wines, however this is just an opinion.

This rating is based on the poor customer service I experienced during my visit.

1  Thank gloryjoey
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Amazing staff and very good wine. It is luck of the draw for how much time you might spend in Woodbury, but our group of four won the prize. We had an entertaining, long stay: tasting and purchasing wine and enjoying the company of educational Phil and entertaining Zack.

Our individual tastes preferred Seaport White (semi-sweet blend of chardonnay and catuga). A promising champagne coming out in late 2013 previews as a must-have wine cellar staple. Also notable were the chardonnay (gold metal 2013 Finger Lake International Competition) and the cabernet ( 2013 Finger Lake; bronze metal 2013 International Eastern Wine Competiton) and a French oak barrel aged pinot noir.

Woodbury is about to start wine and cheese events in May. I imagine you would spend a relaxing and fun evening with a couple of friends hanging out there.

1  Thank Eacoy