“They should just tear the building down.”

Days Inn Fredonia/Dunkirk
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fredonia
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“They should just tear the building down.”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

They should just tear down the building and build a new one. It is disgusting. Rugs in the hallways stink and the rooms were not clean at all. We entered the room through a back door and it was never locked, even when we came back at midnight. Our room key didn't work half the time to our room. From the hole in the bedspread to the dead bug I found behind the bathroom door the room was disgusting. We didn't even bother eating breakfast there because after finding a dead bug in the room it made me question what was in the kitchen where the food was kept. I will say this, we saw another couple go down towards the breakfast area. We headed to McDonalds, while eating at McDonalds they walked in so I am guessing they decided not to eat the hotel breakfast either. Will never stay here again. I would recommend spending a little more for a nicer cleaner place to stay then here. The only good thing about this place was the nice people at the front desk. We had our mother in law with us who walks with a cane and he made sure to give us a room near a door so she wouldn't have to walk far.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
daysinn05551, Manager at Days Inn Fredonia/Dunkirk, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I apologize your recent stay with us was less then satisfying. I have addressed you complaint with our staff. Our hotel has a contract with a pest elimination company who inspects and treats all areas of our hotel. I am unsure of the dead bugs behind the bathroom door but will have the pest elimination company look into the matter as well. We are also in the planning stages for major updates to our hotel to begin shortly. Again I apologize for the inconveniences and hope you will give us another chance to serve you.

Property Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed August 24, 2013

All the other hotels in the area were full so I booked this hotel after reading the reviews. I knew what to expect and the reviews are true. Let's start with the good. The front desk staff were friendly and willing to provide clean sheets and a new shower curtain. I booked a non smoking room with double queen beds. They switched me to a room with a single king sized bed. The room was large 11'-11" x 23-'6" (280sqft). The Internet is free and there are no annoying login screens. The breakfast room is large with lots of tables. This is a motel with doors facing the parking lot and doors that open to an interior hallway. The room also had a connecting door to the adjacent room. I'm not sure if it's allowed but I observed a guest bring a dog into their room. There were no holes in the walls larger than the diameter of a pencil. The shower room has one of those bright lamps on a timer. This was nice because the timer was broken and just acted as a switch. The plumbing worked. There was a refrigerator in the room and it was quiet. It even had a mini-freezer. There was a microwave in the room. The TV (tube style 27") had front composite video connections. All the lights worked. There were enough outlets around the room for charging various devices. The room was quiet and the outdoors was quiet. The motel is tucked back away from traffic. The room had a decent desk and chair. The air conditioning worked.

If you choose to stay here, and want to sleep on a clean set of sheets, I suggest you get a clean set of sheets from the front desk and put them on the bed yourself. They even gave me an extra sheet to cover the comforter and blanket. If your shower curtain has black mold on it (mine did), you can also get a new one from the front desk. They are very easy to install. If you want fresh air, get a room on the first floor so you can open the outside door. The windows don't open. A box fan would come in handy to air out the room. If you want to read or write, the best light is on the throne or the separate mirror over the sink. A power strip would come in handy if you want to put all your devices in one place. If you want to put a laptop on the desk, you'll want a cord at least 10' long as there were no available outlets by the desk.

The bathtub had a ring of grime but the bottom of the tub was cleaner so I felt okay about putting my bare feet on it. The tub had been resurfaced and the "new" surface was chipped and coming apart. Water pressure was adequate, temperature was solid. The shower head was low flow.

The room was non-smoking but smelled of old smoke. I was able to air it out some by propping both the front and back doors open. The smell is embedded in the worn and filthy carpet though so it will suffuse back into the room when you close it up.

The room overall was dirty. The handrests of the stuffed chair were black with grime. Housekeeping re-made the bed with the same sheets even though I requested clean ones.

Overall the room could be much worse. The bathroom is a definite upgrade from a public port-a-pot. I didn't see any bugs.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor have doors to the outside so you can air out the stale smoke smell.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank EngineerDude
Thank you for your feedback. I apologize your stay with us was less then satisfying. I want to thank you for pointing out the good and the bad. Your feedback helps us improve. I have addressed the issues you had with our staff so we may focus on our weak areas. We are currently planning major updates to our hotel to begin shortly what will greatly improve our guests experience. We hope you will give us another chance to serve you.

Miles City
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The hotel is tucked on a back street and poorly lit. Had we not arrived late and were only passing through the area on our way to Massachusetts, we would have demanded a refund and left. Our room was filthy - the carpet looked like it hadn't been vacuumed for several days and the celing had gaps in the tiles. There were glass rings on the table and honestly, the hotel smelled. The bathroom floor was not clean and the tub had a variety of hairs, none of which came from us. THe comforter also had cigarette burns in it. The morning desk staff were very nice and they served a nice continental breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

1 Thank Brenda K
Thank you for your feedback. I apologize your stay with us was less then satisfying. I have addressed the issues with our housekeeping staff as well as our maintenance staff. Feedback like yours helps us improve. We are currently planning for major updates to our hotel to begin shortly that will address many of the issues you had experienced. Again I apologize for the inconveniences and hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Property Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fredonia
Comfort Inn
Holiday Motel Westfield
#2 of 2 in Westfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Jamestown
Red Roof Inn Jamestown - Falconer

Been to Days Inn Fredonia/Dunkirk? Share your experiences!