“Exceptional dining experience”

Dining options: Reservations
Ava, ny
“Exceptional dining experience”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Traditionally, my wife and I treat each other to dinner out on our birthdays. It was her turn to buy and she took me to Garramones which is only a 30 minute drive from our home. Neither of us had ever eaten here before, but my son had recommended it. It is run by an Italian family and specializes in traditional Italian dishes. I read the available reviews about how crowded it can be, particularly on Friday and Saturday nights so we went at about 5PM. When we arrived there were about 20 cars in the lot. We were greeted and sated by a very friendly young lady immediately upon entering. There were many people seated already, but many booths and tables remained empty. During the hour and a half we were there I never saw people waiting even though there was a steady flow of customers in and out. The place was clean and tastefully decorated with a large well stocked bar outside the front of the main dining area. A separate enclosed dining area was located to the rear for additional seating or private parties. As soon as we were seated, a waiter arrived to bring menus and take our drink orders. My wife was amazed to see her favorite wine available, my son his light beer, and I tried something new called Beaver Tail Brown Ale. I found it to be very satisfying, but not for those faint of heart light beer drinkers. We had our drinks within 5 minutes of being seated. We had perused the menu online and knew in advance what we were going to order except for a couple of items. The deep fried calamari appetizer was an addition to the house menu and I ordered that. My wife ordered veal scallopini and my son a 12 oz NY Strip. I had intended to order the king cut prime rib, but was disappointed to see that it was only 12 oz so ordered the NY strip as well. The house salads were all fresh and tasty, but could have had a bit more dressing. A basket of Italian bread was provided as well. I must say that the Calamari was some of the best I have ever had and there was enough for all 3 of us to enjoy. As soon as our salads and appetizer were complete our main meal arrived as well as fresh drinks. My wife shared a bit of her scallopini with me so I could see how it tasted. I had never had it before, but it was tender and delicious. I would not hesitate to order it for myself. The steaks were done perfectly and had a nice char broiled flavor. If you are a fan of baked potato you may be dismayed to find the ones served here to be tasty, but the smallest I have ever seen in any restaurant. Portion size was the only downside of this dining experience for me as both my son and I are big eaters. I also found the menu to be a bit pricey. Altogether though it was a great meal and we will go back again. BTW, ask for Cary if you go as she is very friendly and exceptionally attentive. Altogether we spent right at $100 on this meal not including tips.

• Visited April 2013
4 Thank avatheps

Clay, New York
“"Service And Food Always Terrific"”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We vacation in Old Forge and often drive down to Garramone's. Over many visits, we have found the food and service to be quite good. Both of us prefer their "Italian" to anything in that region.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Al W
Las Vegas, NV
“Pleasant dining”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Been to this place many times over the years. Good Italian style food. Their greens are truly very spicy. Very popular and busy restaurant.

• Visited June 2012
Kayuta Lake
“Consistantly good food at reasonable prices.”
Reviewed December 31, 2011

I was just reading the reviews and thought that since there were not many and one was from '08, Garramones needed a fair shake. First off, you get generous glasses of wine at the bar. The food is consistant. My favorites are Haddock Francaise, any of the veal dishes, the incredibly rich chicken livers, ribeye sandwich, eggplant Parm. My Granddaughter likes the hats alfredo, My grandson the veal francaise. We all get the mixed peppers for an appetizer. The place is kid friendly and has a box of toys at the hostess podium. You may want to ask for the front room if you have kids that want to use the floor for the toys. Don't go if you are in a hurry, The food is prepared to order and if it is busy,( Fri and Sat nights are brutal), you will wait. The current staff is competent and friendly.
The only negative.. They now charge to share a dinner. So..don't. One can order the antipasto and the other the ribeye sand. There will be enough.

• Visited December 2011
East Greenbush, New York (USA)
“North Country Gem”
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I have been a fan of Garramone's since their days in Utica, NY. This is my usual go-to place when I'm at my camp in the area for trout or deer season. Also, my wife and I frequently take the 2 hour ride from our home just to go to Garramone's.
This is a genuine family operation. The service and ambiance are both excellent. The Italian specialties are to die for...especially the scallops, lasagna, and veal dishes. Also, as a bonus, they are very tolerant of my "not-so-fluent-anymore" Italian.

• Visited October 2011