“Worst Mexican Around”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Brooklyn, New York
“Worst Mexican Around”
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Came for lunch - should have known when noone was in the restaurant. The food was bland, the refried beans diluted, and overall one of the worst Mexican restaurants I have been to - a paid quite a high price to boot.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank drichrx

Brooklyn, New York
“food poisoning!”
Reviewed February 24, 2012

got sick off of the food, not sure what it was but myself and one of my friends got sick, we assumed it was either the guacamole or the appetizer we ordered. food was pretty good, nachos are made fresh to order but the food poisoning really gave me a bad taste. i've been coming here for quite some time and had always enjoyed the food. prices are expensive but the dishes are authentic.

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank jonathan_ny
NY
“Great Food & Service”
Reviewed September 15, 2011

After having not been there for some time we tried it for dinner. It is now known as "Garcias."
I had the marinated skirt steak which was tender, flavorful and cooked to my specification. Our waitress couldn't have been nicer. She suggested the flan for dessert and it was delicious! We met Manny, the chef/owner, and complimented him on the great food and service. Looking forward to a return visit.

• Visited September 2011
3 Thank Frumpster
Forest Hills, New York
“Bad experience”
Reviewed November 7, 2010

We had quite a bad experience at Garcia's, for brunch, today.

It was my birthday, I love brunches, and my husband had made a reservation for noon for us and our daughter. I should mention that my husband has difficulty walking and uses a cane. We got there a couple of minutes before noon, Eastern Standard Time. It wasn't open yet but we figured they had a few minutes. Somebody inside saw us and saw my husband having difficulty standing in one place with his cane but did nothing. Finally, about 5 minutes after noon, a guy comes out and say they're not opening for another half hour because "it was busy last night" and they were still cleaning. Now, first of all, if there's any Sunday that they should be able to open on time, it's this one, as they had that extra hour due to the time change.. Secondly, we explained to him that my husband couldn't stand and wait. Since we had a reservation, for noon, you'd think they'd provide chairs, give us drinks, find us a corner to sit and wait. But they just continued to say they weren't opened and yet, quite nastily, when we were explaining my husband's condition.

Now, in any event, a place that says it opens at noon should open at noon, especially when there's a reservation. Secondly, under the circumstances, we should have been offered something, even a chair, to wait there.

Anyhow, it ended happily. We left and went to the Diner near BJ's and the police station. My daughter and I had both been looking forward to huevos rancheros and we found a breakfast burrito with similar ingredients and more. Delicious. And, even with sangria, juice and coffee, it was $10 less per person.

If anyone wants brunch at Garcia's,i suggest you go well after noon. For us, we will not frequent them again due to their nasty attitude, and we found a great brunch dish elsewhere.

2 Thank JudyWR
New York
“Average Mexican Food”
Reviewed June 23, 2009

Went to this place expecting a lot and was dissapointed. Food was OK and more like good quality food you might find at a chain type mexican restaraunt. This place was located in Forest Hills Queens and looked pretty nice so I was expecting better more authentic type Mexican food. The food instead was pretty standard mainstream American type Mexican. They use the standard crispy yellow taco shells for the Taco's like many chains instead of the tastier freshly made (or sometimes bought) lighter colored corn shells that are common in higher quality places. Standard ingredients like lettuce, tomatos and cheese served with tacos, burritos, chimichangas, etc.. instead of more exoctic ingredients like different kind of peppers, cactus, and creative salsa's using fruits or different kind of peppers. No Mexican street snadwiches which are usually found in more authentic type places either.

1 Thank QueensMarine