TripAdvisor

Matiz
Order Online
Ranked #44 of 240 Restaurants in Forest Hills
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A small tapas restaurant. While the entrees are very good, I prefer to order multiple different tapas to share with my tablemates - so many different flavors to taste. Great presentation.

The staff is friendly and even strangers at the bar share tastes.

We've come many times.

Date of visit: August 2019
Write a reviewReviews (21)

Reviewed December 15, 2018 via mobile

This is a lovely, and last night, a lively place. Small enough so you're not overwhelmed with big groups.
We ordered pisco sours and white sangria. Yum. Got the tres guacamoles with chips (plain, cheese, pineapple) and another app whose name I forget (pork in a rosemary sauce with small toasts). Again yum.
The entrees were generous and delicious.
Choclate cake with flan and tres leches desserts.
All was good, service was friendly and prompt and professional.
Highly recommended.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed August 29, 2018

I've tried Pescado Veracruzano and Salmon Tropical but my current favorite is Ensalada de Atun, which is DIVINE. We both love Jungle Booze and my husband loves Sopa Alta Mar for dinner. Their Tres Leches with White Chocolate dessert is SO GOOD, so is the Rice Pudding, served warm and with a cinnamon stick. We always home sated, buzzed and very happy. We'll be back soon!

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed May 24, 2018

My husband and I are regulars at Matiz (Forest Hills). We have tried a number of the appetizers and entries, and each and every meal has been excellent. This restaurant is a hidden gem with an outstanding chef and great staff. The chef is willing to customize dishes for the customer. I am gluten-free and he has made some custom plates (off menu) that were outstanding. I highly recommend Matiz to anyone who wants authentic Lain cuisine.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed March 29, 2018

During my NY visit, my brother and his girlfriend took me to their "Thursday night hangout." I had no idea of what to expect other than likely "good food and attentive service" (I know my brother). We were warmly greeted by staff and by other "regular" patrons, who, surprisingly (to me), were not necessarily Hispanic. The service was very attentive, the ambience, pleasant. Matiz Latin Cuisine offers an impressive selection of Latin favorites with a gourmet twist. We sampled and thoroughly enjoyed 3 different appetizers: the Carimañolas (much more than fried cheese balls), a sampler of Empanaditas (Caribbean turnovers) and Patacones (fried green plantains with Colombian sofrito, shredded chicken and beef). We could have easily stopped here, they were so satisfying along with wine! It was truly hard to decide on an entree from the many seductive options. Our selections were: the Churrasco, Bandeja Matiz, Pollo Matiz and Arugula Salad - all memorable, delicious, generous portions! Somehow we found a little spot to enjoy sharing the Flan (vanilla custard) and the Passion fruit Tres Leches after hearing someone at a nearby table rave about them - delicious and not
too sweet. There was no music on this particular night but we heard that live music is available weekly. It's quiet enough to enjoy conversation at the table, suitable for romantic dates and business gatherings, yet relaxed enough family dinner. Can't wait to go back!

Date of visit: March 2018