“Absolutely amazing...”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Dining in this restaurant is a MUST. They say you have to kiss many frogs to finally meet your prince. So to save you kissing many frogs, I will tell you my experience here so you can simply go straight to your prince. This was my first time visiting Cooperstown and Fly Creek. Finding great food is difficult in this area. However, once I found Portabello's I decided that money is only well spent here. My first day, I had beer battered shrimp po'boy with a Cajun aioli, with a caesar salad on the side instead of fries (trying to be a bit healthy). It was sooooooo good I had to come back for dinner. For dinner ,I ordered the chicken fettuccine with exotic wild mushrooms. Before my meal was ready (since everything is made to order and is absolutely fresh) the wonderful waitress brought out some freshly made grilled pizza dough with pesto butter. I have never had pesto butter before...so...I devoured all of it on my own. When the meal was brought out, it was beautifully arrayed and my first bite was by far the most amazing array of flavors.

(Side story: Two weeks prior I was in Italy as a graduation trip, and I dined at Trattoria de Fiore in Venice near Piazza San Marco, and was thoroughly disappointed in their chicken fettuccine...so Portabello's really redeemed my horrible experience in Venice)

The next day before I headed back to New York City, I decided to have my afternoon meal here. I ordered an appetizer sampler (which came with fried calamari with homemade marinara, homemade meatballs, crab cake, and fresh mozzarella). With my meal I had the "apples and oranges" drink which was also amazing.

What makes this place really special (in addition to the food) is the service. From the moment you walk in, the owner greets you and makes the environment very comfortable- she makes you feel at home. The waitress I had was VERY kind, attentive and effective. Also, at some point I saw the Chef actually come out and talk to the people. Now I dine often throughout Manhattan, and I have NEVER witnessed the chef come out and make sure everyone was happy with their meals. Needless to say, this place is a gem.

Finally, the prices are very affordable. What else can you ask for?

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Feeling adventurous we followed little blue signs from Cooperstown. What a treat. The decor was lovely, the staff professional, and the food divine. Honest to goodness Caesar salad, tasty pesto butter, and that is for starters. Even the cocktails were well prepared. How can a place this good be at such a small crossroads? Who cares. Visit Fly Creek and see for yourself.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

My wife and I were looking for something better than the tourist trap restaurants that surround the Cooperstown area. So I fired up the Yelp app on my phone and found Portabello's. I programmed their address into my GPS and as Rod B. mentioned in his review, I was taken to and empty spot on the highway. We kept driving about another mile to the intersection with the light and found the restaurant.

It was a Thursday night in Cooperstown in the middle of September and needless to say my wife and I had the place to ourselves. The waitress was helpful, pleasant and accommodating.

The food was delicious. My wife had the hanger steak which was cooked perfectly and I had the veal margarita which was fantastic. Everything was better than expected. The next time my wife and I visit the Cooperstown area we'll be sure to sample Portabello's cooking again.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Excellent and surprising menu, great choice of apperisers and entrees, the place is beautiful, my only complaint, the appertisers are a bit overpriced or at the very least the portions should be a little bigger. The food is excellent, have never had a bad meal there

Reviewed October 20, 2012

The atmosphere is adorable and cozy with live piano music. Cocktails were totally yummy. Service is excellent and friendly. Food is absolutely awesome.