“Depends on what you want!”
Review of The Flushing YMCA

The Flushing YMCA
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Pro:
- lowest price private room you can get in a relatively safe area.

Con:
- only three shower room, but about 50 rooms a floor.
- not clean. So after the maintenance guy accidentally split food on my sheet I didn't even care.
- tv not working. Asked for help twice before someone came to help.
- the guy brought in another tv, which worked for only 20 min. I decide not to bother again.

• Stayed: July 2011
There are newer reviews for The Flushing YMCA

Reviewed January 8, 2011

I had to stay there for the new years because I couldn’t find a cheaper one that was closer to the subway. Honestly, It was the worst staying experience I had. I don’t know where to start. First of all, it is not a hotel, it is a hostel. I booked it knowing that it was a hostel. The rooms do not have a bathroom. There are 2 restrooms 1 for gentlemen and 1 for ladies on each floor. In the restrooms there are 2 disgusting toilets and 2 beyond disgusting showers. My wife said that ladies room was at least acceptable comparing to mens. The name of the hostel is flushing but its toilets are not flushing at all. The rooms were filthy and as small as possible. There was a 5 inch tv in the room. The blankets were so smelly that I just hid it in the wardrobe. We slept covering the sheets on us. The second floor is a pool and the third floor is gym and also they are playing basketball in the second floor. The rooms start from the 3rd floor. You cannot imagine the smell of the corridors and the hotel. There was no breakfast and I would not eat anything even they had. The location is called Flushing and it is 15 min walk to the subway. It is the last station of the 7th line.
They have parking and it was written free parking but they wanted to take 5 dollars for a day. I rejected and told them that in the site that I booked the hotel it was written free parking. So they did not charge me for it. And free internet is not in the rooms you need to go down with your notebook to use internet. Luckily 2 days later I booked another hotel and got the hell out of there.
Would I stay in this hotel again? If there were no rooms available in any other hotels in New York and if they don’t let me to sleep in the subway or under Brooklyn Bridge, I might stay there.
Stay away from Flushing YMCA. Don’t flush your money.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank baknedicem
Reviewed October 27, 2010

We couldn't find a good and cheap hotel in NY for a while.When entered YMCA official website we finally decided to book a double room in Flushing (price on that site is much lower than on the others). The hostel was located in very interesting and safe area filled with great Korean/Chinese restaurants. It took 30 mins. to get to Manhattan (purple line 7 goes 24/7). Our room was quite big. We had lot's of channels on tv. Staff at reception was very nice:)We could use swimming pool, basketball court, sauna (we just couldn't find time for that).Room service every day. All together-nice place to stay if you are travelling on budget.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2010

Stayed at the YMCA in Flushing for two nights Fri-Sun. My room was on the third floor above the basketball court which was somewhat of a downside since you can hear the balls bouncing in the morning, If I stay again I would have to be on the fourth or fifth floor. Room was clean, no bugs, just smelled a little strange but room had an air conditioner which helped. Front desk staff was fantastic and super friendly, they do have storage to place your items after checkout in case you don't want to haul it while you are out. They do have internet but it only works on the 1st floor I did not use it during my stay so I don't know how good service was. They also have a cafe with coffee and snacks on the 1st floor-Cash only. Easy access to Manhattan 40 min or so. Overall perfect for a cheap place to stay

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank foodie02
Reviewed January 16, 2010

It a pretty cheap hotel situated in ChinaTown-Queens. Rooms have a TV and a refrigerator. The only inconvinient is that there is only onre restroom per each level. You can get very easy there...using the 7th line(purple) of metro. From Grand Central it will take exactly 30 minutes by metro. ChinaTown is very quiet and those chinese are very funny and friendly...but if u want to ask something u might have the surprise to get an answer in chinese :) Enjoy!

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2009

I give it a 3-star rating because it is a hostel, so it's not going to be "great." Having said that, for hostel accomodations, we were very happy with it. It's about a 30-40 minute subway ride from Grand Central/Times Square, with a 5 minute walk to the subway station; however, if you plan to spend the entire day in Manhattan and just come back to sleep, then I think it's reasonable. Hotels in Manhattan in December are expensive and book up quickly.

Flushing itself is an interesting, multicultural area. Tons of Asian restaurants and businesses. We felt safe walking in the area, even late in the evening after returning from Manhattan. The subway felt safe too.

The room was basic with a t.v., fridge, closet. We had two twin beds. Bathrooms are shared, but separate mens/womens. You are given a key at reception to access them, though the door to the mens bathroom on our floor didn't close properly. Security at the YMCA felt good too; there was always someone at reception to let you into the building. The cleaners came every morning to clean rooms.

Probably our favourite feature was the free parking. We drove to NYC and were initially concerned about where to leave our car since we were going to use the subway to get around.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
5  Thank bbleho
Reviewed November 4, 2008

For $72 a night for a private room in New York, we are really only expecting a place to sleep.
We book this place simply because this is the cheapest we can find.
It's a 40 mins trip to Time Square, but subway comes every 5 mins, we found it quite convenient and cheap too, $2 for a one way trip, $7 for 4 trips.
Room is small, half the size from what we saw in others photos, can bearly turn around with our suitcase on the floor.
Tower is provided and clean. There's aircon, fridge & TV in the room, we enjoyed all the old TV shows.
Free wi-fi in the common room, had fitness room, we didn't have time to use it.
I'm ok with the gals bathroom & shower, but my boyfriend says the mens toilet was blocked and shower curtains smell like sweat.
Hotel staff were helpful, the guy on night shift was very friendly, we arrived at 11.45pm, he still got a room for us.
We had good dinner at the corner Korean restaurant called Noodle something.
Overall, if you don't mind dirty carpet, small room and shared shower, then it's a good place to sleep in.
We are budget travellers and probably will stay there again if we go to NY next time.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank lilL81