“Find something else”
Review of Hotel de Point

Hotel de Point
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Flushing
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Stayed here for several weeks recently due to my job and can not begin to say how much I hated it. Fire alarms at night, infrequently working elevators, tiny useless ice machine, utterly useless Wi-Fi, filthy carpets, maid service at 7:00 PM. Jam packed parking lot. This is a fairly new hotel and it is already falling apart. Several rooms had to be evacuated due to burst pipes. A total joke.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Kunk66
Kit L, General Manager at Hotel de Point, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Dear Kunk66,

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. The Hotel staff and I want to apologize for your experience you had during your stay.

We are currently addressing all the issues that you informed us of so we can make every guest feel comfortable.

Some of the issues that are beyond our control, such as the pipes bursting, are currently being worked on so that we do not have to run into this problem in the future.

Please feel free to contact me with suggestions you may have for us to better ourselves for future visits.

There are newer reviews for Hotel de Point

Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed at the Hotel de Point via a stay, park and fly package which in of itself is a great deal, allowing you to stay at the property for a night either before or after your journey with free parking at the hotel while you are gone (up to 5 days). Laguardia Airport is within a 10-15 mins drive of the hotel and the hotel does offer a complimentary shuttle that is part of their runs to the subway stop in Queens that runs regularly until 9 pm most days, so subsequently the ride is shared with local passengers as well as airport passengers.

I must admit that the hotel guest service manager made our day when he arranged to hold the shuttle for us to the airport after we found ourselves running very late due to traffic in Connecticut. We quickly transferred our luggage and ourselves to the shuttle upon arrival and within 15 minutes we were inside the terminal with more than enough time to check our luggage and board our plane, THANK YOU! That said, the parking situation on a weekend at the hotel was very difficult. I managed to find one empty spot which was very tight with closely parked cars and snowbanks and we were in no mood to complain as a timely departure was the utmost importance. We were very happy to make the plane and hoped for the best with a confirmation call to the hotel to let them know we'd arrived as well as wondered if we should send the car key to them to allow them to park car in better location if needed. We were assured that everything was fine and that wouldn't be necessary.

We returned a week later and I called the hotel to inform them that we would momentarily be ready to be picked up at the baggage claim. Within 20 mins after claiming our luggage the shuttle driver arrived and picked us up, not bad but was about 45 mins after calling them, still.... I'm not complaining. We enjoyed the ride back to the hotel with a full shuttle of mostly local riders knowing that we'd soon be anticipating stepping into our hotel room for a relaxing night at the hotel before returning home the following day. Our car was still parked in it's same location but it had an unfortunate scuff on it from some vehicle that obviously bumped it when rounding the tight confines of the parking lot. Oh well, part of parking in an open lot with very little space but it was needless to say a letdown.

The hotel, as many have described in other reviews, is part of a multi-business complex in one building. The ground floor has 2 different Asian markets and the basement level has many restaurants offering everything from different options of pizza, Mexican, tea, etc. If you are not fully aware that your hotel is part of this complex you might walk away thinking somebody gave you the wrong address but we went immediately to the elevator and pushed the H2 button as was indicated for Hotel de Point. Upon emerging into the lobby on the 2nd floor, you are unaware of all the other businesses that are below and above the hotel. It is a sleek and modern looking lobby as you will see in many pictures.

The staff member at the front desk was very attentive and helpful and within a few minutes we were moving up to the next floor to our room with our electronic keys and somewhat in awe at the Ali Baba-like transformation from street level to hotel. The hotel definitely has a modern appeal to it with LED lighting and sleek tiling on much of it's surfaces. Some may love it, some may not. I found the room to be spacious and comfortable but lacking a cozy feel as the lighting and textures are rather stark. In any case, we enjoyed the night watching tv on the huge LG flat screen and sampling some of the smaller, more fast food oriented eateries in the basement level. There is an Asian buffet on the 4th floor ($31.99 for Fri and Sat nights) but feeding the four of us at that price wasn't an option even though the view looked inviting. The top floor (roof) is a lounge at night and a breakfast room during the day. We didn't go up that night and the next morning we did quickly partake of the continental fare that they offered. On a summer day it would be lovely to sit in the outside area and enjoy the views towards Manhattan.

Now my basic overall rating of the property is just average. The property tries to be many things to many people, it just doesn't do any spectacularly well. The stay park and fly package is nice but there truly is too limited parking area for them to offer this. The hotel concept of sharing space with other businesses in a large (maybe former warehouse) building is definitely efficient use of space for the money but it just doesn't seem to mesh well in my opinion. I know that they offer some great amenities of free wifi, parking, breakfast, pool (at adjacent business), shuttle bus and also try to model efficiency with special lighting and heating touches and even solar panels yet they oddly served breakfast with disposable plastic plates and utensils. I know that this sounds like I'm fussy but I'm actually an easy going guy... it just seemed that much of the ideas were great but the details were amiss.

Overall, if you are looking for just a decent sleep within reasonable proximity of Laguardia Airport and you get a good rate, you'll be ok, maybe even very pleased with this hotel but if you come with high expectations, be prepared to be disappointed.

Room Tip: Hallways can amplify sounds and any guests or others walking down them at night with less than libra...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank jdlutz

Dear jdultz,

Thank you for your honest and thorough review! I want to apologize for the incident that happened with your car in the parking lot. Our plow company had a hard time maintaining the amount of snow we received this winter and this has been addressed with that company.

Thank you for your kind words about our front desk staff. It is refreshing to hear that our staff member held the shuttle for our guests to make it to the airport in time.

I'm glad you enjoyed the park and fly option! We hope that you and your family will consider us again in the future! Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions or concerns you may have.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

I stayed 2nights (Feb.19+20) at this hotel. FIrst impression: The room is very nice and clean including the bath room. I do not care even if there is no bath tub. The most important thing is if the bath room including the toilet is perfect clean. At this point, I am sure this hotel does have the perfect point, as of today. Also, theThe temp of AC is also nice to pre-setting. Second impression: Every staff, (especially driver Mr. Muran? is very helpful) is not only professional but also very kind. The lady works breakfast place (Ms.Chis) gave me a good information about weather, too. During my stay (I could not walk easy because of my injured foot), my boyfriend visited me and said ... "this hotel is very nice and clean.", too. I sincere hope that the hotel keep on having their own good quality "clean" level for my next visit, and I would like to see every staff who I met again. Eating place: My boyfriend and myself found the delicious PIZZA at the C level!!! I would like to say "special thank you" to the hotel staff!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank peacefuleaves

Dear Peacefuleaves,

Thank you so much for your kind review. We are glad everyone in the building took care of you during your stay.

We hope you get better soon. We look forward to seeing you during your future stays with us!

Reviewed February 18, 2014

My fiancee and I stopped by to see if they had both a room for our wedding reception ad a room for our wedding night. A nice manager by the name of George assured us that a room for the evening would be no problem, but that they did not have any meeting/conference/event rooms. We said "fine" and promised to call to schedule a room for the evening for us.

A week later (today), I call to book a room two weeks hence. The lady who answered the phone )after being routed through the menu twice, due to no one picking up) tells me they are only booking 4 night blocks. I mention my previous conversation with George to no avail.

The outside looks grim as hell, and is not in a great neighborhood. The inside (lobby) at least looks nice. But sadly I cannot review the rooms, as they will not allow me to book one for our wedding night.

I am guessing there are far better options in better neighborhoods if you want a place to stay with decent service.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Matthew M
Kit L, General Manager at Hotel de Point, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear Matthew M.,

Thank you for your honest response. I'm so sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, we do not have meeting space to hold a wedding.

We do not require a minimum room block if you were to stay here for your wedding. I apologize for myself and staff, here at the hotel, for providing you with wrong information.

If you would like, please call me directly so I can help you and your fiancé out, as we would love to host the 2 of you for your special day.

Kit L.
(718)412-3110

Reviewed January 9, 2014

The first impression of this hotel is absolutely awful -- dumpy and seedy. It's a chinese food market on the ground floor and when the shuttle drops you off, you go in the doors wondering "What the heck is this -- I thought it was a hotel? " Did I mention the mob of chinese people who rushed up to the shuttle pushing and trying to get on --- before any of us had gotten off the bus - driver got mad and kept telling them to step back and let the people off, but either they didn't speak Engish or didn't care, they kept trying to push by us, especially when the driver left to open the back door for our luggage.

Can't imagine what they were thinking when they designed this place but they really screwed up here. They really need to remedy this situation. Had I been in a car, I would have driven away -- quickly. The Hotel desperately needs to have a separate entrance of it's own.

Anyhow, get into the elevator and push the button that says "Hotel Lobby" and you are stepping into another world. Very classy and elegant hotel, you don't expect it after the stinky grocery store.

The older woman at the front desk is rather miserable (and rude) to deal with -- avoid her if you can. The hotel manager is absolutely wonderful -- very helpful, informative and upbeat.

The room itself was beautiful, sleek & modern, we were very impressed. In fact, one of the nicest hotels we've ever stayed in. Spotlessly clean. But the absolutely best thing about this hotel was the free breakfast served on the top floor, in the lounge. Views were absolutely stunning -- windows on 3 sides and if the weather is nice (in summer) you can go outside and eat. They also will make you waffles and omelets -- the selection is great.

If I needed a place near the airport again, I would definitely go to Hotel De Point.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Mermaid_22222

Dear Mermaid_222222,

Thank you so much for your great review!

We know one of our biggest challenges is our location and the entrance to the building. Unfortunately, having a separate entrance to the Hotel is beyond our control. Our main goal in designing our lobby was to have our guests feel like they are in a separate world from all the hustle and bustle outside!

We're so happy you enjoyed our breakfast on the rooftop. We have been working hard to improve our breakfast and it means a lot to us that you enjoyed it!

We hope to see you soon!!

Kit L.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

After being bumped from a flight going out of LGA, I got another night in NYC on Delta, which is FINE BY ME. We were put up at Hotel De Point. After calling to get the shuttle to pick us up, we were told we would be picked up shortly. Ended up waiting over 45 minutes and had to make multiple calls. This stuff happens and didn't bother me too much. Little did I know customer service is a bit of a problem here at Hotel De Point. The next morning we were called at 11:01 a.m. (as we were walking out the hotel room door), rudely being asked to leave our room. My mother next door was also asked her to leave her room (in person) at 11:00am sharp. I've never felt so unwanted as a customer at a hotel.

The hotel is currently a work in progress, but looks like it will be a nice place to stay if staying near the airport. The lighting in the rooms is very halogen and sterile feeling.

All that being said... There are plenty of other places to stay in the city, just as nice, with MUCH better service.

Don't waste your time here.

Room Tip: Cancel your booking and stay somewhere else...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Melvinflamingo
Kit L, General Manager at Hotel de Point, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear melvinflamingo,

I would like to apologize to you and your mother for our staff waking you both up and banging on the doors. Although, check out time is 11am, we want to allow our guests to not feel rushed while gathering their things for a smooth checkout. I understand how frustrating it is when travel gets altered, and you definitely don’t want to arrive at the hotel and deal with more issues. You just want to be relaxed, and we apologize for not providing that for you. This is unacceptable and I'm sorry that you felt that way. I will be sure to address the housekeeping department so we can prevent this from happening again.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any other concerns.

Kit

Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

We made a reservation to be near LGA airport for an early morning flight. We arrived via taxi to what appeared to be anything but a hotel.
Wasn't even sure where the entrance was and it was a little unnerving. However after taking an elevator and the doors opening, we entered into a lovely modern lobby.
The guest rooms were also modern and quite large. Kathy at the front desk was extremely pleasant --answering our questions and giving directions. If you are in the area to sightsee this is not the place; it is convenient to the airport. A free shuttle is available certain hours of the day but not at the time we needed it - nor was the breakfast so I can't comment on that. The hotel is very nice for a short stay and the price reasonable.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Francesskh

Dear Francesskh,

Thank you so much for the kind review. I know we might not look like a hotel from the outside, but we hope to make up for it once you enter our lobby.

We're sorry the shuttle bus wasn't available for your stay here. We are currently working on a better schedule to accommodate airport guests and hope that you will stay with us again if you are ever in the area. Hopefully, you will be able to check out our complimentary continental breakfast on the rooftop. The view is absolutely breathtaking.

If you have any other concerns or questions about our property, please feel free to reach out to me directly.

Kit