“Look Beyond the Seedy Entrance -- it's a Beautiful Hotel on the 2nd Floor.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel de Point

Hotel de Point
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Flushing
Toronto, Canada
“Look Beyond the Seedy Entrance -- it's a Beautiful Hotel on the 2nd Floor.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

The first impression of this hotel is absolutely awful -- dumpy and seedy. It's a chinese food market on the ground floor and when the shuttle drops you off, you go in the doors wondering "What the heck is this -- I thought it was a hotel? " Did I mention the mob of chinese people who rushed up to the shuttle pushing and trying to get on --- before any of us had gotten off the bus - driver got mad and kept telling them to step back and let the people off, but either they didn't speak Engish or didn't care, they kept trying to push by us, especially when the driver left to open the back door for our luggage.

Can't imagine what they were thinking when they designed this place but they really screwed up here. They really need to remedy this situation. Had I been in a car, I would have driven away -- quickly. The Hotel desperately needs to have a separate entrance of it's own.

Anyhow, get into the elevator and push the button that says "Hotel Lobby" and you are stepping into another world. Very classy and elegant hotel, you don't expect it after the stinky grocery store.

The older woman at the front desk is rather miserable (and rude) to deal with -- avoid her if you can. The hotel manager is absolutely wonderful -- very helpful, informative and upbeat.

The room itself was beautiful, sleek & modern, we were very impressed. In fact, one of the nicest hotels we've ever stayed in. Spotlessly clean. But the absolutely best thing about this hotel was the free breakfast served on the top floor, in the lounge. Views were absolutely stunning -- windows on 3 sides and if the weather is nice (in summer) you can go outside and eat. They also will make you waffles and omelets -- the selection is great.

If I needed a place near the airport again, I would definitely go to Hotel De Point.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Mermaid_22222
Kit L, General Manager at Hotel de Point, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear Mermaid_222222,

Thank you so much for your great review!

We know one of our biggest challenges is our location and the entrance to the building. Unfortunately, having a separate entrance to the Hotel is beyond our control. Our main goal in designing our lobby was to have our guests feel like they are in a separate world from all the hustle and bustle outside!

We're so happy you enjoyed our breakfast on the rooftop. We have been working hard to improve our breakfast and it means a lot to us that you enjoyed it!

We hope to see you soon!!

Kit L.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

After being bumped from a flight going out of LGA, I got another night in NYC on Delta, which is FINE BY ME. We were put up at Hotel De Point. After calling to get the shuttle to pick us up, we were told we would be picked up shortly. Ended up waiting over 45 minutes and had to make multiple calls. This stuff happens and didn't bother me too much. Little did I know customer service is a bit of a problem here at Hotel De Point. The next morning we were called at 11:01 a.m. (as we were walking out the hotel room door), rudely being asked to leave our room. My mother next door was also asked her to leave her room (in person) at 11:00am sharp. I've never felt so unwanted as a customer at a hotel.

The hotel is currently a work in progress, but looks like it will be a nice place to stay if staying near the airport. The lighting in the rooms is very halogen and sterile feeling.

All that being said... There are plenty of other places to stay in the city, just as nice, with MUCH better service.

Don't waste your time here.

Room Tip: Cancel your booking and stay somewhere else...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Melvinflamingo
Kit L, General Manager at Hotel de Point, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear melvinflamingo,

I would like to apologize to you and your mother for our staff waking you both up and banging on the doors. Although, check out time is 11am, we want to allow our guests to not feel rushed while gathering their things for a smooth checkout. I understand how frustrating it is when travel gets altered, and you definitely don’t want to arrive at the hotel and deal with more issues. You just want to be relaxed, and we apologize for not providing that for you. This is unacceptable and I'm sorry that you felt that way. I will be sure to address the housekeeping department so we can prevent this from happening again.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any other concerns.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

We made a reservation to be near LGA airport for an early morning flight. We arrived via taxi to what appeared to be anything but a hotel.
Wasn't even sure where the entrance was and it was a little unnerving. However after taking an elevator and the doors opening, we entered into a lovely modern lobby.
The guest rooms were also modern and quite large. Kathy at the front desk was extremely pleasant --answering our questions and giving directions. If you are in the area to sightsee this is not the place; it is convenient to the airport. A free shuttle is available certain hours of the day but not at the time we needed it - nor was the breakfast so I can't comment on that. The hotel is very nice for a short stay and the price reasonable.

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Francesskh
Dear Francesskh,

Thank you so much for the kind review. I know we might not look like a hotel from the outside, but we hope to make up for it once you enter our lobby.

We're sorry the shuttle bus wasn't available for your stay here. We are currently working on a better schedule to accommodate airport guests and hope that you will stay with us again if you are ever in the area. Hopefully, you will be able to check out our complimentary continental breakfast on the rooftop. The view is absolutely breathtaking.

If you have any other concerns or questions about our property, please feel free to reach out to me directly.

Elkton, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

Just arrived home from a great stay at Hotel de point. The hotel is very unique as it's a part of an Asian Market. Right from the start the staff was friendly and helpful going out of their way to help us plan our trip into the city. Our room was clean and modern with a new flat screen TV. The continental breakfast is on the top floor and has panoramic views of Flushing. There's a Chinese Buffet on the 4th floor. It's pricey, but was authentic Chinese/Japanese food and had a large sushi selection. Very good food. There are a few other restaurants on the street level to include Mexican and Pizza. The hotel shuttle runs every hour to the metro station. From there its a half hour ride to Grand Central station for $2.75. We truly enjoyed our stay. My recommendation to Management would be: Better signage showing where the hotel entrance is and the fact that the front desk is on the 2nd floor. Its a little confusing when you arrive.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dave G
Kit L, General Manager at Hotel de Point, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear Dave G.,

Thank you so much for the great review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We understand the confusion in the building lobby and are currently working on making signs for the lobby and elevator so our guest don’t run into this issue.

We look forward to seeing you again in your future stays with us! Please feel free to reach out to me directly for future reservations!

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

It's a bit surprising to pull up to an Asian Market and realize it's the Hotel De Pointe. But don't let this fool you...it's a very contemporary hotel in a great access location. The staff are very accommodating, the rooms are minimal and beautifully designed and the roof top breakfast/restaurant and bar offer the best views of Manhattan ever. Excellent value for the money. Ready to book for next Thanksgiving.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JBH121
Kit L, General Manager at Hotel de Point, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear JBH121,

It's wonderful reviews like yours that gives Hotel de Point the exposure it should have. We are located a little off the main areas but we offer a beautiful hotel and a great stay. Thank you for the great review and hope to see you next Thanksgiving.

Kit Leung

USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

i am a guest of Hotel de point and i met Mr.Kevin working at the reception today ie nov 23rd 2013 . I met him at the front desk around 7:00 pm and he is a very helpful gentleman . He has an excellent attitude , very helpful and great hospitality . I am Mr.Yusuf Mirza and wish him the very best for his amazing behavior . Room Number 329 .

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear yusuf m,

Thank you very much for the positive review. I'm glad Kevin was able to take care of you during your stay. I have always seen that positive attitude in him but it means much more to me to see that amazing guests like you notice. I will definitely make sure that he reads this review and let him know that his wonderful attitude didn't go unnoticed.

Kit Leung

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

This is another hotel I regret booking via Booking.com. There was no mention of the free shuttle bus from the subway stop at Flushing to the hotel (I only found out about this once I'd arrived) so had to get a bus to College Point. No-one knew where the Hotel de Point was and I walked about for 30 minutes trying to find it. It turned out to be on the top 3 floors of a brand new shopping complex building with a massive Chinese supermarket, nail bars and gift shops etc on the ground floor. Don't bother staying here if you want a place with atmosphere or to do any sight-seeing. There is nothing here! A main street with the usual array of shops and businesses, no restaurants that I wanted to eat in, and no cafes or bars that looked in any way inviting. It seems the main reason people choose to stay here is that it's convenient for La Guardia airport - lots of airline staff were staying at the hotel.
It was impossible to relax or sleep the first night as every few minutes there was a very loud humming noise from a generator on the roof immediately above my room and shouts and laughter from really noisy guests in the corridor. I was given a different room the next day and slept well that night. The third night I was awoken at 10.45pm by a fire alarm (turned out to be a false alarm) then woken again at 4.00 am by what sounded like a party going on in the car park below. This went on for 45 minutes.
Breakfast (included in the room rate) was disappointing: self-service style with a choice of cereal, yoghurt and/or hard, overcooked eggs and hash browns with only plastic plates and cutlery, which was all thrown away after use (despite the hotel's claims to be 'green')
All the hotel staff, however, were very friendly and helpful, particularly the young woman at Reception who checked me in on arrival, and was happy to make some 'phone calls on my behalf. The hotel has only been open for seven months so I guess may still be experiencing 'teething troubles'.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Curatorial
Also consider these accommodations in or near Flushing
The One Boutique Hotel
BEST WESTERN Queens Court Hotel
LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York
LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York
#3 of 12 in East Elmhurst

Been to Hotel de Point? Share your experiences!