“How can anybody end up in such a place?”
Review of Hotel de Point

Hotel de Point
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Flushing
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I am unlucky enough that the company I am working for is having me staying in this bad excuse for a hotel. First of all, it is a place that cannot be rated as a hotel because it supplies only rooms. No restaurant, no room service. It advertises third party restaurants (Chinese mostly) in the same building.
It does not have an entrance (!!!!) in the ground floor but you have to use an elevator common with the restaurants and other shops in the building to find the reception in the 2nd floor. One can only end up here by mistake – buying on line – or because he is Chinese or Asian having family in the area. Going around up to Flushing Main Street, you think you are in China – more than 90% are Asiatic- and in Main Street Flushing it looks like Chinatown. Nothing against that IF ONLY YOU select that and not by mistake.
Noteworthy is the fact that the building previously was a factory (in Google maps street view you can still see the old looks of it) and it was renovated totally with modern material but unfortunately many of them of the bad- cheap kind of Chinese production. The “Air-injected Shower Heads” according to the web site are the most useless shower heads I have ever used, so you cannot even enjoy having a shower. You need to spend the double time just to manage to wash off… So much about “green” that they want to suggest they are! Apart from that, the decoration is nice but you cannot use the decoration for showering…
Most of the times I have been here the fire alarm with a deafening loud sound went off at random times, sometimes ruining my sleep- they cannot obviously fix the problem after many months…
Depending on your luck, the room that you will get will have different type of noises. Some rooms –maybe half of them- have a central A/C on witch you cannot control the fan speed since the controller is incompatible. You can only switch it on on “high” which makes an extremely loud noise or off. So depending on the season…. Your choice is NOISE or COLD during winter or HOT during summer. Nice !!!!
But the noises do not stop there! Again depending on your luck, noises are coming from the ducts on top of the bathroom, from the poorly latched windows from outside, from the street underneath, from the truck company behind the hotel.. your choices are endless…
As for the internet, it is the slowest ever I have used in the US. If it is not in the afternoon until late at night that it is more busy, so even worse, max download speed is 1 Mbps. You cannot even watch a simple YouTube video..
And if you happen to have a voucher for breakfast, don’t expect much! They will send you on the rooftop restaurant (third party again) with a nice view but… just basic things for breakfast on plastic plates and self-service. You will have to clean your table as well or else…
There are more (defects) to say but I think those already give the basic idea…

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank manosrs
Kit L, General Manager at Hotel de Point, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Dear manosrs,

I apologize that we did not come close in meeting your expectations. Your review brought up a lot of issues that I need to correct so other travelers will not go through what you experienced. I thank you for your honest review and I hope you have better experiences in your future travels.

Kit Leung

Reviewed July 26, 2013

The room I first stay is awesome in the beginning, but when the night fall, I notice that in the restroom there several bugs which are the kind that often appear in duty toilet. Totally no idea where them came from. I'm very disappointed, but they get my change a room, the service is good though. I want to believe that my case is a single case. Besides that, I do recommend this hotel regarding to its price and location.

• Stayed: July 2013
Kit L, General Manager at Hotel de Point, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Dear YLong222,

Thank you for the fair and honest review. We are in the process of finding out where these insects are coming from. I hope the room we moved you to was as fresh and clean minus the insects. Next time you stay with us please ask for me so I know how your stay went. I am always looking for ways to improve guest experience.

Kit

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Located in Flushing, not far from airports, shuttles available, free parking.

Shares a complex with Chinese supermarket & bakery, a huge buffet restaurant and karaoke - very convenient.

Modern and minimalism design for the room - all white, nice bathroom and toiletries, free HD satellite TV programs and free wifi.

On the other hand, AC is a bit loud and cold...

Complimentary breakfast available on the rooftop restaurant, great view of the city and the river.

Great value overall.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Kit L, General Manager at Hotel de Point, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Dear Knapweed,

Thank you very much for positive and fair review. You are right about the A/C and we are currently replacing some already. Please look us up when you are in the area again.

Kit Leung

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed at Hotel De Point a couple months ago. They provide free parking, continental breakfast and WIFI as well. The room is ok in size but new and clean. I would recommend it. However from previous post, I would keep my valuables locked up.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BobY425
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed there for one night. First it is hard to find - the small entrance is over powered by the big supermarket / convinence store next door which occupys the first floor. By the time found it, you already in disbelieve and unhappy with the hotel's location. 2nd, the front dest has a couple of people working who make you feel that you picked up a cheap hotel so that's whay you got. The room I checked in had someone's staff still there - appearantly someone had not checked out yet. We were changed to another room but it was made like they did us a favor. We could not leave fast in the morning and checked out without instance. However, that's not the end of bad - when I got the bill, it charged $200 more. When callled, they claim that someone smoked in the room so they charged me. Who smoked and when? When we checked out no such thing was claimed, but after we left? Who knows what happened or smoked in the room after we left. But the manage was bully and rude acting like he was a judge instead of a service person. I would not want to talk to him more than a minute or ever again, which might be well designed or intended by him. So be careful if you ever think to book this hotel, and have a walk through before you check out.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank ssly2000
Reviewed May 5, 2013

The hotel is fairly new. Service is ok but location is odd. For the price I paid, it is acceptable.

My problem is with the housekeeping. Like the previous reviewer, I accidentally left my IPAD at the hotel room and can't get it back. We checked out on Sunday and when I realized it on Monday I called a few times. I was told nobody occupied that room since we checked out but they insisted nobody found my IPAD. I am positive it was left in that room and certainly hope somebody is enjoying my IPAD right now.

• Stayed: April 2013
6  Thank Commonsense1
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Lovely, practicle hotel, very clean with lovely rooms. The only problem in the rooms is the lack of black out curtains and quite noisy a/c.
Staff super helpful and polite.
Real pleasure to stay here. Having a car helps to move about

Room Tip: Rooms facing the carpark, less light if you need to sleep during the day