“Citi Field”

Ranked #1 of 33 things to do in Flushing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Citi Field is a great place to watch a baseball game.... There is no bad seat in the house. Every fan is very passionate about the Mets in the stadium. I am from Memphis where is no baseball team (But a Minor League). I have been to 4 other baseball stadiums and this is the best one that I have been to. The only bad thing about this ballpark is the neighborhood. Flushing is not the best place in the word and it is far from lots of stuff that is in Brooklyn. The subway rides are really long and have lots of stops. But other than that it is a pretty good park.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

A beautiful modern stadium, featuring all of the conveniences and amenities one could ask for. Every seat provides a clear view of the playing field. Great for an exciting afternoon or evening.

1  Thank Paul G
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Was there in May to watch the Mets lay a spanking on my Padres, so that might cloud my review somewhat ;)
Have been to quite a few ballparks around the country, last year Citi and PNC. Not fair comparing the two, PNC is that nice. That said, Citi is gorgeous as well. The positives are many; public transit is the way to go, we took the LIRR there and back, way more relaxing than battling traffic back home, Californians you know what I mean. Great food selection and friendly servers, great sightlines and comfortable seats. The rotunda entrance is wonderfully done, and any fan of the sport will appreciate the small museum on the ground floor.
Negatives start with the ticket and food prices. It's NYC so it's expected, but jeeez...
As a purest, I was not a fan of them changing the dimensions by bringing in the fences. After years of ever smaller band box stadiums pandering to home run numbers, finally someone had built a pitchers park. More doubles, more stolen bases, more defense...but it wasn't to be. Was sad to see them cave in so fast and move the fences in. Also the same thing happening to one of the few remaining pitchers parks here in San Diego as we have also caved in and moved the fences at Petco this off-season. A shameful trend in my opinion. Also cost my team as the Mets got two HR's that landed in the new moved in seats. Grrrrrrr.
As the previous review notes, the surrounding area is a wasteland, standing on the train platform really brings it home. In San Diego our stadium was used as the centerpiece for a rejuvenation of a similarly blighted area, as had been done in Baltimore, San Fran, et.al. The Mets and city of Queens seem to have dropped the proverbial ball on this one.
Also would strongly recommend looking for a seat in the shade during day games. My dumb Cali self thought it would be nice to sit in the sun behind the visitors dugout. BIG MISTAKE. The wife and teenager lasted two innings and were done. When we attempted to move back to some obviously untaken seats up under the shade in the cheaper seats, we were immediately set upon by an usher who demanded we return to our seats. When I explained the situation to him he was unfazed and actually got a little rude. I'm sure our away jerseys didn't help the cause, but there were rows of empty seats.
I realize that getting the seats in the sun was my fault, but the way the usher handled it was way out of line. We then had to sneak to another section where we sat in some unoccupied seats away from the ticket Nazi and enjoyed the game. I'd like to add that the rude usher was the exception rather than the rule, and as a whole New Yawkers are some of the friendliest folks around. The myth of the rude New Yorker(except for this clown) is just that, a myth.
And lastly, a nod to you long suffering Mets fans. Knowledgeable and welcoming, and ready to give and take a little friendly ribbing. Despite the negatives and humidity and a Santana shutout, it was a great day and a worthwhile trip.

1  Thank SoCalWanderer619
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I'll start out by saying I am a dyed-in-the-wool Mets fan. Through thick or thin (mostly thin) products on the field, I still go to multiple games every year at home and on the road.

I used to like the road more, because Shea Stadium was such a dump. When Citi Field plans were announced, I was nothing less than joyful. What's it like to go there?

First, parking is plentiful and convenient, with easy on/off access to the highways. It cost $20 to park, around half of what's charged at Yankee Stadium. Mass Transit is a good option, particularly if you don't want to get caught up in Long Island rush hour traffic. The LIRR is great for Long Islanders, and folks like me who live in NJ. There's the #7 subway for NY'ers.

Obviously, the place was designed to look like Ebbets Field. I guess this is cool for the nostalgic, but its somewhat disconcerting to me to walk into the rotunda, and see so many allusions to the Dodgers. THE METS PLAY HERE, FOLKS!!!!!!

That being said, once you go in, the plazas are wide and easily navigated. There are concession stands with short lines, a fantastic food court and beer garden in center field. You can get just about any beer imaginable, and the food court consists mostly of outposts of manhattan eateries like blue smoke and the shake shack. You can get sushi, mexican, pretty much "you name it", albeit at inflated prices (this is MLB, folks). There are also a couple of upscale "sit down" restaurants where suits can dine with clients while watching the game.

The seats in the stadium are comfortable, and I've never had one with bad sight lines yet, even from the "Pepsi Porch) in right field. The field is full of nooks and crannies, making for some interesting caroms, etc. Even with the pulled in fences, the outfield is still spacious and one of the largest in baseball.

Rest rooms are clean, green, and plentiful. Unlike Shea, where you really couldn't go in without using stilts -- particularly if you were wearing sandals.

Met tickets are pretty costly, although they do offer lots of specials, particularly when less compelling opponents come in to play. I went to see the Mets play the Cubs last year for around $10. And, given the current state of the team in recent years, you could always find deals on stub hub.

The Met fortunes are looking up, with the team having jettisoned overpriced and underperforming veterans. They've actually managed to stock the farm system with talented young pitchers, and they've got a halfway decent crew "holding the fort" until those pitchers are ready for the bigs. So going to Citi Field should be a better experience going forward.

There is still one big drawback. When the stadium was built, the junkyards and chop shops across the street were supposed to be condemned, and replaced with hotels and restaurants. This never happened. So right across from this shining jewel of a ballpark, you've got the same old junkyards that were there when Shea was there. What eyesores.

They've really got to figure out a way to condemn these places under eminent domain. Places to go before and after the game are what the stadium needs. They'll also provide Flushing with the economic shot in the arm it needs.

1  Thank kennyl98
Reviewed February 2, 2013

A sushi restaurant, a shake shack, and a place that sells lobster rolls, along with the staples of hotdogs, sausages, burgers? How can you not give this place 5 stars? .... Oh yeah the place hosts the NY Mets, so I guess you can ding them for that. LOL