“Individual Hot Pot- Thank You”

Minni's Shabu Shabu
Ranked #194 of 663 Restaurants in Flushing
Cuisines: Japanese
New York City, New York
“Individual Hot Pot- Thank You”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

If you like Chinese hot pot and don't want to share whatever everyone else is throwing in the pot, Minni's
is the place to go. I am a "fair-weather" vegetarian, so I cannot share the big pot with everyone else throwing all sorts of meat in. That's why I like Minni's. It's pretty real Chinese style. As much as this
reminds me of our time temporarily living in China (atmosphere, service, etc...) I become very nostalgic for China here and somehow keep going back.

(Doubt they'll ever read this review- just wish the vegetarian hot pot wasn't the same price as the meat or fish seeing that they skimp on veggies). Oh well... I keep going back for some reason.

• Visited December 2013

New York City, New York
“Nice ambiance, food was alright”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Came here with a group of friends after a long day of hiking. The weather was warm but it didn't matter. Hot pot was a great idea.

I like how each person has their own individualized hot pot. The water comes to boil very quickly via induction heating. Once you order, they quickly fill your pot with their broth and being our your main course fairly quickly. Service was quick, as expected so they can have a higher throughput.

I like the tray of vegetables they give you. They have enoki mushrooms, nappa, fish ball, fried tofu, some kind of dumpling, vermicelli, 2 other types of mushrooms, sour cabbage, pumpkin, and an egg. To me, the tray was equivalent to the side dishes you get at a korean restaurant but I never got around asking if I could get another tray for free, but I highly doubt it =P

I ordered the combination of beef with lamb. The meats were thinly sliced but I felt that there wasn't much substance to the meat nor were the meat of high quality. I also didn't think they gave you enough. In addition, the broth was very watered down. I wish they would make the broth more flavorful. It is true that after I cooked my meat the broth had more flavor, but I would recommend just making your own sauce, dump it into the broth to make it even more delicious.

I haven't tried any other hot pot places so I will definitely update this review if the others are subpar. Usually, we just do our own hot pot at home and the broth is definitely more flavorful =P

I had no issues with the service. They brought us tea without asking. They brought us water after we asked for it. They refilled out tea but not our water. They came over at least on 2 different occasions to check if we needed more broth. It was a speedy and direct service. Excellent :)

I really like the ambiance for this place. More of a cafe setup than a hot pot place. It also has tons of seating, lower level, ground level, and upstairs. They also recently added a KTV section to the right of the store. This place must be doing really well to have so much space in Flushing. One thing I didn't like was the tiling. If you wear boots, you can easily slip on that type of tiling material.

In summary, this place is decent. I probably wouldn't come out to a hot place on my own free will since I think I do it better but if a group of friends invited me, I wouldn't object to coming back here again. At most I'll try one other place to compare,, but I have a feeling the results will be quite similar.

• Visited December 2013
“It was okay”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Introduced to Minni's by one of my friend and have came here twice. first one was excellent, great service, quite huge portion of food. you got plenty of fish balls, tofu, cabbages, egg, tomato, and stuff. they give quite big portion of fish and seafood as well. the broth was pretty tasty, they fill in pretty quickly whenever i ran out of it. second visit, it was down to okay. i got a severe stomach ache after eating there. plus, i sat on the top floor and took me 15 mins for the bill and refill. i ordered just seafood and the crabs and clams were pretty frozen-not that fresh anymore. i guess with that price it describes how average Minni's food quality is. will i come back? not in the short time. till then, i might find other shabu shabu place which offers better quality and better service.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank travelingmadam
Brooklyn, New York
“authentic shabu shabu!”
Reviewed February 24, 2012

food is fresh, not too expensive, lots of options and they are open late! for those of you who have never had shabu shabu its basically a pot of stock that you take raw food and dunk it into to cook. soup can range from mild broth to super crazy spicy if you choose to. cooking all the food items in the soup makes it nourishing and delicious! don't forget to drink some of the soup you've created! atmosphere is decent and service is pretty good worth a try if you're in the mood for some chinese hot pot!

Visited August 2011
Old Bethpage, New York
“Fresh and Yummy”
Reviewed December 26, 2011

i went to Minni's this weekend with my in laws, husband and 2 year old. There was a good selection of choices for combinations (seafood and lamb, pork and beef etc) the servers were attentive coming round with more water for the broth. The juices are very nice (i'm pregnant and they were really refreshing and didn't taste artificial). My in-laws are chinese and they are picky about where we eat and they give it their seal of approval. oh and the broth at the end of the meal is delicious.

• Visited December 2011