“Chumley's IS OK...Not Great” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Highland Lakes, New Jersey
“Chumley's IS OK...Not Great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

I tried Chumley's last weekend. It seems I've been eating some serious BBQ lately. Chumleys is a tiny place in rural Florida, NY, that has a capacity of 18 people, and no restroom, which found a bit odd, not to mention, disconcerting. I don't know how they can not have a bathroom, but they don't. It seems like most of their business is takeout.

My beef brisket sandwich was good, but the meat, although tender, did not taste as if it was smoked at all. It was more like roast beef. They trimmed all the fat off as I requested though. The baked beans were absolutely delicious, full of molasses and brown sugar, but the cole slaw was just bland and average. I ate very little of it. My friend enjoyed the steak.

I've had some of the best barbecue in the world in Dallas and other locations, and Chumley's isn't among the best. I read many other reviews of this place on other internet sites, and was amazed that people either love Chumley's, or they hate it. There's very little grey area. I'm seemingly the grey area. It's OK, but not exceptional. Would I go back? Maybe. Would I recommend it? No.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank DrumBob

ny
“Worth the trip from warwick”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Forget other "great rib" places. Chumleys is always good and the portions are huge! Tonight hey had a coconut bread pudding! Oh my god!! Awesome! Bringing ribs home for my hubby with a homemade carrot cupcake for his birthday!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mastercolorist
Fairfax, Virginia
“Great Sides”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

I was really pleased with the potato salad, cole slaw and cornbread at Chumley's. Sadly, that's not why you go to a barbeque place. I was really disappointed in the ribs and brisket. Clearly, Chumley knows more about barbeque than I do, but neither meat provided the taste I was going for. The ribs were served dry with plentiful good sauces to add. Mine just weren't tender and fought back. The brisket was too fatty and greasy for my taste. Portions were plentiful, if that counts for anything.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ace4444
Port Jervis, New York, United States
“Bland BBQ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Food looks good but lacks flavor. Very mild or bland. Not what I was expecting or hoping for. Eat in area is small.

Harrison, New York
“Great Grub!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Found Chumley's on the ride home after the worst round of golf I've ever played. After dinner didn't even care bout the golf anymore! Chef Dan and his crew were speedy, polite, & well prepared. The pulled pork ranked right up there with the best (& I've sampled bbq in Memphis & Austin before). We also had the ribs and traditional Buffalo wings...delicious.. ALL of the homemade sauces were amazing. Didn't know which to try next! Even the sides of cole slaw & macaroni salad were something special...

Wish I lived closer...