“A Tiny Gem”

Dining options: Reservations
New York City, New York
“A Tiny Gem”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

It's a 2 minute walk from the Long Island Rail Road Floral Park Train Station. Poppy's is tiny but is an excellent spot. Food is primarily Italian. Everything I have ever eaten have has been very good to excellent. Veal Verbena is outstanding! They take reservations only for parties of 5 or more, so you might have to wait at the bar. Friendly crowd of primarily local folks.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Jim-V-NYC

New York
“Delicious!”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

My Husband and I went here tonight for the first time. We loved it! The Calamari with peppers was so different and so tasty. I had the Veal Milanase. The Best I ever had. I would really recommend this restaurant. The Waitress was very good and so was the Gentleman that was an Owner/ Manager. Will definitely be back real soon!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Debbie S
New York
“Busy little great Italian place”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I liked Poppy's. We had a Groupon for two people, but we had three in our party, and instead of niggling about which dishes were covered by the Groupon, they actually just deducted the amount from our bill, giving s a small advantage, which was nice of them.

The food is very good. The only reason I didn't give the place 5 stars was because there was a little too much "innovation" on my plate - I had a veal parmigiana, which was nearly unrecognizable on the plate. It also had very little veal (I'd rather pay a little more and get a more substantial portion). The calamari was delicious, the cioppino was very good, and the mahi mahi (one of the specials) was beautifully seared with a delicious ratatouille-like vegetable medley. Side note to the chef: there were a couple of bones in the fish.

Poppy's serves standard desserts that are well made (we had peanut butter pie and warm apple pie). They put a little candle in my grandmother's pie and sang Happy Birthday to her (she turned 94 recently!).

The restaurant became quite crowded around 7pm, both in the dining area and the bar. The wait staff is very friendly and helpful, and so is the young man who appeared to be either a manger or a maitre d'.

Poppy's has a reasonably priced lunch menu and the most expensive dinner item is $25. All in all, a great place to eat, and we will return soon.

Tip: they only take reservations for parties of 5 or more.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank ciocio1
new york
“WOW !”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

The chef is as talented as the best around .... Friendly place , newly renovated and all you need to know are on the specials board. The food is sooo good you may not want to share your info with friends for fear you wont be able to get a table . .... Come on a weekday night and be ready for great food prepared by an owner chef who is always in the kitchen . Chef Mo is an Italian gifted chef... go and enjoy !!

• Visited August 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
“Love it!!!”
Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

My wife and friends go to the Belmont Stakes (from Atlanta, GA) every year and always go to Poppy's Place for dinner after the race. It's a favorite for horse race people....trainers, jockeys and other track staff. It has become a tradition and I think that we look as forward to dinner at Poppy's as we do the race. We always have a wonderful meal and enjoy the atmosphere. Great local restaurant with excellent Italian food and superb service. I would strongly recommend Poppy's Place if you're in the area.