“Disappointing, Boring, Plain”

River Run Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Fleischmanns B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 20, 2008

Although I'm new to the B&Bs, we were fairly disappointed with the River Run. Ben is a very nice inn keeper, but the experience lacked any charm or romance that would make it preferrable to a regular hotel. It is a historic building that simply feels historic. The room was small and bland, lacking a phone, tv, and a clock. For the hundred dollars we paid, we would have preferred a bathroom and privacy.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
riverrun, Ben Fenton, owner at River Run Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2008

Thanks for your comments. In my opinoin, our rooms are quaint and charming. We don't pretend to be what we're not: an expensive, super-upscale inn. We advertise ourselves as a simple, clean, comfortable bed & breakfast. For value, our third floor rooms share a hall bath for $89 per night which includes breakfast. It is very clearly noted on our website that the rooms on the third floor do not have TVs. Clocks are available upon request, as noted in the check-in form (most guests didn't seem to want them when I placed them in the rooms - I found them unplugged and put in the bottom of dresser drawers). For $129 per night, you can book a larger room on the second floor with a private bathroom and TV in the room. As noted, the guests say they enjoyed the service provided by me, but were disappointed in the room. We have photos of the rooms on our website, and are very descriptive when guests call in to inquire or book reservations. In my opinion, we are a great value for a nice, simple lodging option. If you're looking for upscale luxury, we're not your spot! Thanks again for the comments.

There are newer reviews for River Run Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed January 13, 2008

My husband and I spent two nights in mid-October at the River Run. It's a perfectly fine place - nice innkeepers, decent breakfast, reasonable room. I would not recommend that friends stay there if they had other options. We won't return. We were glad to find this place though - it was a last minute trip, and we have a dog that they happily accepted.

The room was rather cramped. We stayed in the Beaverkill Room - which had a queen and a twin size bed. It really didn't have room for the latter. Of the rooms we saw, the Espous looked the nicest. Our room was also not as clean as I would have liked. It wasn't really dirty - but more like what you'd expect when you visit a friend's place without calling ahead. That is, if I'm paying money to spend the weekend at a place, I want it to be cleaner than my own home. (There was a lot of dust and oddly - ladybugs - in our bathroom).

The inn is also on a rather unattractive street. The pictures on the web site suggest a much more bucolic setting. It's not very representative. Lastly, I didn't find Fleischmanns to be ideally located for our visit to the Catskills. However, if you're skiing nearby - it's probably perfectly located.

So in all - it's a fine place. If you have a dog - it's a very good option. It's not nearly as nice as some of the reviews posted here. But it's also not as awful as one reviewer claimed. I think that if you go w/reasonable expectations, you'll have a fine experience.

• Stayed: October 2007
    • Check in / front desk
riverrun, Owner at River Run Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2008

To respond to the reviewer's concerns:

1) The reviewer never mentioned any dis-satisfaction while staying at the inn.

2) We are very upfront about the room sizes on our website. We usually don't have guests with dogs in the Beaverkill room because of its' size but made an exception for these guests.

3) We do our best to keep the country lady bugs under control (monthly spraying, etc). We also have housekeepers who clean the rooms, and we will check afterward. I just wish the guest had let us know about the dust as we would have been able to address the issue with our housekeepers and correct the problem.

4) We are very clear on our website that we are on Main Street in a village setting. Fleischmanns is a village on the cusp of revitaliztion, and within a 5 minute drive of other villages and a myriad of activities.

Finally, we strive to make every guest experience a good one. We encourage guests to vocalize any feedback about the house while they are here so we might correct the situation and make their stay as comfortable as possible.

Reviewed September 4, 2007

I have dealt with many B&B's in my time - and more recently, for my July wedding, I spoke to /saw/considered at least a dozen properties in the Catskills area.

Hands down, Ben was the most knowledgeable about the area and the most helpful on all fronts. Period.

Whether I was looking for good places for meals, other places to house my guests, suggestions on interesting local attractions, or everything in between, Ben not only had an answer, but even anticipated my needs! Once, when my groom-to-be and I were headed out to our wedding site, he suggested a scenic short-cut...without our even asking! This is just one example of many little comments and ways Ben made himself helpful to us while we were in the midst of planning craziness. He was incredibly thoughtful.

Also the River Run is an adorable property - well-decorated and cozy on the inside, well-appointed with lots of video entertainment in the living room, impeccably clean, and last but definitely not least - breakfasts were generous and scrumptious! Also, I'm not sure if it's standard, but I recall brownies being out when we checked in...yum.

All in all, I would highly recommend a stay at the River Run. If you're looking for a memorable and comfortable stay in the Catskills area, lodging is definitely hit or miss at some of these independent B&B's - I know, because I had such a large wedding my guests stayed at practically every suitable place in the area! Not sure if it was those years that Ben spent working at the Westin Hotel (or one of those other large chains), but it shows in the absolutely impeccable service. Bravo!

• Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed June 2, 2007

My husband and I had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend. We had a lot of things to do and were never bored.
Ben, the owner, was just so helpful in everything we did. If we said we were going somewhere, he would print out directions and he told us of many local happenings that were going on.
His inn is lovely and has a huge deck to relax on.
The breakfasts, every morning, were just the best. The last day of our vacation he even printed out the recipes for us.
We would go back again.

Stayed: May 2007
2  Thank gmcgowan49
Reviewed May 31, 2007

I saw the quaint house online looking for a resonable priced B&B near Magaretville, and fell in love with the River Run. When I called for info, Ben was so helpful with my questions, since I was booking for 4 couples with different needs. The rooms were all comfy, clean, with fans and country fresh air to cool the rooms. We all loved the stained glass accents that decorated each room, as well as the antique touches to the living and parlor rooms. But most of all, I have to say that Ben and Melissa's breakfasts were outstanding with their variety and presentation. They definitely made us feel at home. In the evening, we always rejoined on their beautiful wrap around porch, which was filled with gentle breezes and melodius sounds from the many chimes. A totally relazing experience.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank katmoo
Reviewed March 18, 2007

Pleasant experience with the River Run. Ben and Melissa were pleasant and full of info. Rooms were clean and maintained, showing nominal wear & tear. Linens were warm and comfy. House gets cool at night -just what you want to snuggle under the warm covers. All part of the charm of a 120 year old Victorian. Thanks Ben, we'll return soon!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed September 24, 2006

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The Bed and Breakfast accomodations were very comfortable and charming. The hosts were friendly, patient and full of information and suggestions. The breakfasts were delicious!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fleischmanns
Hotel Vienna
#1 of 3 in Hunter
Catskill Lodge
Catskill Lodge
#1 of 8 in Windham

Been to River Run Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!