“Lovely”

River Run Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Fleischmanns B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Charming and cozy bed and breakfast. Ben is so nice and accommodating. Great breakfast and house was so nice. Country and grandmas all in one. Near great hiking and other cute towns. Lots to do I the Catskills. Enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed: July 2013
riverrun, Owner at River Run Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Thanks for the review! We look forward to your return.

There are newer reviews for River Run Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights. Our room was spacious, clean and quite comfy. Our room faced the street, and despite the fact that the town has NOTHING going on, we were surprised by how much street noise there was late in the night. We didn't get up in time for breakfast, but grabbed muffins on our way out, which were delicious. We enjoyed the comfy chairs on the porch, and got a kick out of the kitschy decor downstairs. All in all, a nice stay.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the back of the house
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for the review! Yes, Fleischmanns is a tiny town with not a lot, except for a great Mexican restaurant and a few little shops. Luckily we are centrally located in the Catskills and very close to some great hiking trails, kayaking and canoeing, tubing, train rides, etc.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Being a resident of Manhattan, I like to get away to a quiet place on occasion, River Run was our choice this time and I don't regret it one bit. The more than century old house is Charmaine, cozy and it was like taking a walk back to the 1920s owing to the museum quality collection of pictures, games, nicknack's and furniture.

The rooms, and the entire house is extremely clean and the breakfast was healthy choices and fresh. Good coffee, too, thank god. The non-smoking policy works for me.

The surrounding area is some of the most beautiful mountain vistas, dotted with quaint villages and some rather good restaurants. Our parrot, Lucy, enjoyed sitting on the front porch and down by the stream.

Ben was extremely helpful with info about where to go to see sights and those quaint villages I mentioned.

We are planning to try to go back in August for a weekend visit, if all goes as planned.

Room Tip: The Delaware room is the best with its king size bed and little sitting area.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks so much for the review and glad you liked the Delaware room! We look forward to your return.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed several times at River Run last year, and plan to stay there again this year. The house is charming, and I loved to sit in the living room in the evening and read in front of the large fireplace. Breakfast is always delicious. Each day, there is one hot plate (french toast, quiche, etc.) and every one had me coming back for seconds. If you have picky children like me that only want to eat things that are known commodities for them, there is cereal, muffins, hard boiled eggs, etc. That was really appreciated, because rather than starting the day with whining, my kids managed to eat a full breakfast and hit the ski slopes fueled up. #Winning

If you're skiing, you will love the proximity to Belleayre. It's like 5 minutes up the road. The setting around the B&B is rustic. The Catskill mountains are beautiful.

In terms of noise, my experience was that the common areas are usually quiet on non-holiday weekends. Even if a couple guests are conversing, you can comfortably sit and read in the same room. One weekend (might have been President's Week, can't remember) the B&B was basically full and it was a bit more boisterous in the common area, but there are still plenty of nooks and crannies around the B&B if you're looking to have quiet time, without having to be in your room. For instance, there is a sitting area on the 2nd floor adjacent to the kitchen, and a TV/recreation room on the 3rd floor.

The owners are friendly and easy to work with when booking and upon arrival. During your stay, they will help you with any questions about the area or issues you are having. They don't hover and watch you all day, so I guess if you're looking for someone to dote on you, you might be disappointed (I saw a couple of critical posts earlier). For me, it was exactly what I was looking for.

My only critique has nothing to do with the B&B, but the surroundings. If you're looking to walk around a small quaint mountain town and go from shop to shop, that type of setting doesn't seem to exist in the immediate proximity. At least not in Fleischmanns or Pine Hill. Of course, since we were skiing most of the day, I didn't have a lot of time to drive around and find out about other neighboring towns.

For location, food, hospitality, value, and the charm of the building and its furnishings, this place is IMO a winning combination.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
riverrun, Owner at River Run Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

It's always a pleasure having you and the kids here. Thanks so much for the review, as it really reflects the spirit of the inn. Much appreciated!

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stayed two nights late October. Felt I was in my own home. Perfect. Though I prefer light breakfasts, lost my cool and couldn't stop. Highly recommended for the B&B crowd. First floor common areas out of a 1920's good novel (only the TV and quiet classical music background move it to late 20th C.)

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thanks so much for the review! We appreciate it!

Reviewed October 10, 2012

The River Run is clean, quiet and well-managed. The house was built in the 1880's and feels like staying at Grandma's, (in a good way).

Ben has extensive knowledge of the area and is extraordinarily willing to help. As a totally unexpected bonus, I wrote a few days before our stay to ask if there were gluten free options for breakfast (and I didn't expect anything, just needed to plan ahead). When I awoke there was a surprise: Ben cooked up a lovely gluten free fritatta the first morning, and gluten free french toast the second! I usually don't bother to get up for breakfast at a B & B, but this was sinfully delicious and above and beyond the call of duty.

I don't know if you can necessarily expect this every stay, but it's worth checking with Ben ahead about any food sensitivities. The thoughtfulness was greatly appreciated by this tired girl!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank NIKI N
riverrun, Owner at River Run Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Thanks so much for the review. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so with advance notice we can generally cater to special needs (gulten free, dairy free, etc.) so that everyone can enjoy. We never serve meat, so that covers the vegetarians and Kosher style folks, which we host almost every weekend. So glad you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to your return. Thanks!

Reviewed August 22, 2012

River Run is a homey place, with a comfy front porch and a huge back yard with a hammock. We stayed in two different rooms during our stay and liked both. The breakfast worked ok for us - the hot dishes were well received and the rest of the spread was fine; all in all, it didn't bowl us over but it covered the bases.

Many of the area's B&B's don't accept families with young kids. Ben gets big points for extending a welcome mat.

Ben was helpful with providing maps and information on sights, activities and restaurants. Regarding some others' comments, he can be a little reserved, but some will prefer that and more importantly he's responsive to questions and requests.

The village itself is quiet, with a couple Mexican restaurants, a supermarket, a city pool, a library and not too much else (there's a shuttered restaurant next to the inn), but it makes a convenient base for the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thanks so much for the review! Because I don't have a commercial kitchen, I have to limit breakfast to one hot dish (such as a baked French toast or quiche, fresh baked bread of muffins (I'm all about pumpkin these days), English muffins, bagels, fresh fruit, dried fruit, granola, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, cereal, juice, milk, coffee, tea and hot cocoa. I do tend to be reserved because I don't want to be that annoying innkeeper that won't stop talking and let you relax and enjoy your stay. And yes, Fleischmanns is a very sleepy little town, but makes a great base to explore the area, as we are equidistant to Andes, Roxbury and Phoenicia, and everything in between. We look forward to your return! Thanks again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fleischmanns
Hotel Vienna
#1 of 3 in Hunter
Catskill Lodge
Catskill Lodge
#1 of 8 in Windham

Been to River Run Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!