“Good family hotel for the winter”

Hampton Inn Fishkill
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Fishkill
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We had stayed here for business in December. We came back in February to meet our son, daughter-in-law and two grandchildren- half way. Great place in the winter. Nice warm breakfast. Our grandson had a blast at the pool, would not get out of it. Nearby parks, restaurants and malls make it a perfect location. Staff was good to us. Price decent!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
EddieBello, General Manager at Hampton Inn Fishkill, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Thank you for sharing your Hampton Inn Fishkill experience with the TripAdvisor community! I'm glad that you we're able to come back for another visit with us at the Hampton Inn Fishkill! We're all thrilled that you had such a great stay and enjoyed our convenient location, complimentary breakfast, and of course the indoor pool!. Come back and visit us the next time you're in the Hudson Valley!

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Can not speak highly enough of the staff and management. Clean rooms, good breakfast, polite and friendly staff. I would recommend to anyone. You can not beat the service for the price. They made my stay so relaxing and pleasant.

• Stayed: February 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review of Hampton Inn Fishkill. The entire staff and management is thrilled that we are able to make your stay so comfortable and relaxing. I am very lucky to work side by side with so many great people that truly care and will go out of their way to make our guests happy! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Professional musician.
I travel alot certain times of the year and have stayed in many hotels, motels.
My stay here [Hampton Inn] was very pleasant.
Service great.
Staff, wonderful.
When I came to the breakfast area I was greated immediately with a "Good Morning " and a smile from a very attractive young lady, Arielle.
She is kind, respectful, helpful, and pleasant.
It is people like Arielle that makes your stay at a hotel or motel comfortable and relaxing.
Yes I would stay there again whenever I am in the area which will probaly be next year, same time.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write us about your experience during your recent stay at the Hampton Inn Fishkill! I also want to thank you for recognizing our breakfast associate, Arielle! I will be more than happy to share your comments with our staff during our "Daily Huddle"! It is feedback such as yours that assist us in the monitoring of the hotel's success, and is used as a tool to futher achieve the high standard of quality service for which we strive. I hope I have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hampton Inn Fishkill in the near future!

Reviewed February 12, 2013

their review stars would have been higher had it not been for 2 issues.

1) The pool was very chilly, actually down right cold and after getting so excited to be able to swim, it was quite disappointing to get in and realize there was no way I could suffer through how cold it was.

2) And this is my biggest complaint and the one that may cause me to not stay at a Hampton Inn again. The incidental hold that they place for 50 dollars on ones debit card in case of destruction of property, theft or other incidental charges. A 50 dollar hold is not an unreasonable request, BUT placing that hold for 10 days is. I spoke to the front desk several times in regards to this matter and was consistently told, as they have been trained to state, that the hold is released once you check out. I have spoken to my bank on numerous occasions and what hotels are telling its guest is simply not true or factual. I have even run test to see how my debit card handles charge backs. How? I went to several different stores, purchased items on my debit card, and went to return them the same day as well as other days, and the funds were put directly back onto my debit card within the hour and 24 hours at the most, depending on the time of day. My bank specifically has told me, numerous times, how long the original hold was that was placed by the hotel, and it was 10 days.

There is absolutely no acceptable reason for this on any level, especially in the state that our economy is in. I can understand maybe a 3 day hold, giving the housekeepers and the bar staff adequate time to put in any charges, BUT 10 days is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

I will have actually gotten my taxes filed and with a refund from the IRS in a shorter time frame.

I am a very frequent traveler, I stay in hotels approximately 20 days a month for work related trips, getting nailed, even at only 50 dollars a day, for 20 days comes into a cool thousand dollars that is tied up of my own money each and every month for absolutely no reason and many times because I stay in larger cities those incidental charges are 100 a day, so more often than not, I have anywhere in between 1000-2000 dollars tied up monthly that I cannot even touch. Hotels really need to be more business traveler friendly in this regard.

The most ironic part of all of this is that I stayed at the same hotel, 3 different times in one month and the Hampton Inn had a part of my money for an entire month and I asked while actually in the hotel if they could at least now release my funds, and they said no.

The pros for this particular hotel;

The offer a nice breakfast.
The staff is warm and friendly during the entire stay.
Rooms are clean and comfortable and they do have a mini fridge to use.
The diner down the street, I think its the Red Line diner, will offer all hotel guest a 10% discount if you present your hotel card when paying your check and if you pay in cash.

Would I return? I honestly don't know. The Ramada, directly in front of it, does not require a deposit for incidentals, and while they don't have a pool, it doesn't matter, the one at the Hampton Inn is too cold to use. The 5 dollars that I might save being able to eat breakfast at the Hampton inn, compared to not being able to use my own money for 10 days is simply not worth it when I can walk to the diner and get a breakfast for only a few dollars and an appreciation for my business.

Hotels really need to start asking themselves this: Would we rather not lose the customer, and make money on the room, or hold the customers money longer than nessecary and then lose future bookings due to a policy that is outdated with the current financial market in mind.

Makes me seriously wonder these days if hotels are doing this because they can no longer afford to operate and are using this money, in sort of a rob Mary to pay Paul type of thing, and using their guest money to do so.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank j g
EddieBello, General Manager at Hampton Inn Fishkill, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

I want to thank you for being a returning guest to Hampton Inn Fishkill and for your fair and honest review of our property. We've made some exciting upgrades this past year and we're proud of the service and experience we offer to our loyal guests. One such upgrade is the addition of Norman, our new Chief Engineer, to the team. Among other things, Norman has made it his personal mission to keep our swimming pool comfortable and inviting all year round. I am sorry that it was too cold during your visit. Since receiving your TripAdvisor this morning, we have adjusted the temperature of the pool for our future guests.

Regarding the debit card issue, we share your frustrations! If I could offer one piece of advice to any traveler reading this it is to use a credit card if available, not a debit card to check in, regardless of final method of payment. When that authorization is taken against a credit card, it results in a temporary reduction of credit limit. With a debit card, it's actual funds being tied up in your checking account. Unlike a charge, which can be refunded immediately, these pending authorizations can only be released in the time frame specified by your bank. Unfortunately that countdown only begins when we release the authorization at the moment of checkout, and until its final release it still appears as being on hold from the hotel. Remember, at Hampton Inn 100% Satisfaction is your right and our guarantee, and this is why guest feedback is incredibly important to us and we are taking your comments into consideration as we improve our on-property experience. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area and I invite you to contact me directly to help arrange your next stay at our hotel .

Again, I appreciate you patronage and I'm grateful for your feedback.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

dropped in during a snow storm. rate was great. accomodations excellent. would def. return! I turned the heat down and the noise did not bother me. Employees very friendly. I agree a fitness center on site would be nice. We have stayed here a few times now. Never any issues. I had trouble with the internet but I think that was because we were in the middle of a snow storm. I did not complain. Easy location to West Point!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KNik0322
EddieBello, General Manager at Hampton Inn Fishkill, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

I want to thank you for taking the time to complete a TripAdvisor comment regarding your recent stay at the Hampton Inn Fishkill! Your remarks about the pleasant stay you experienced here at the Hampton Inn Fishkill are greatly appreciated. It is the positive and kind comments, such as those that you expressed, which reward our efforts to provide the highest level of quality service and guest satisfaction. Thank you again for your comments, and we hope you can join us again (with better weather!) as you see more of the Hudson Valley!

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I'd really like to write a list of all the wonderful people that helped me during my recent stay but my concern is that I'd miss out someone by name, and that would never do.

So let me say that absolutely everyone here was positive and helpful. They genuinely tried to be helpful and all had kind words and good deeds to offer.

In terms of accommodations it's a Hampton Inn. It's clean, it's quiet (mostly), and the rooms are comfortable.

To give all sides there's a few niggles but I'll present them more by way of balance than issue.

As is the case with so many weekend stays these days, inconsiderate family groups seem to think that the rest of us want to hear their children running up and down hallways, banging doors whilst they play hide-and-seek and screaming at each-other over breakfast. Honestly, we don't. If staff could be advised how to politely ask guests to be more considerate of others, that would be great but maybe that's a pipe dream.

The other small disappointment was the lack of guest laundry.

Finally, one person often burns the cookies but I won't name names ;)

Nearby there are some excellent dining choices. The Red Line Diner is a top-notch (yes, I should review it) and Tanjore in Fishkill does seriously good Indian food. There's a cinema across the road and Walmart is Walmart and that's there too. It's right by I-84 so convenient for travel.

Again, I'd love to list everyone by name by fear of missing someone means I won't.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank PSKZ
EddieBello, General Manager at Hampton Inn Fishkill, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write us about your experience during your recent stay at the Hampton Inn Fishkill. I also want to thank you for recognizing our associates! I am very proud of their commitment to service at our hotel, and it is evident that our guests love it too! We have a great group of people that truly reflect Hamptonality to our guests! I read your review this morning in our daily meeting to celebrate their accomplishments, and to also address the comments that you mentioned.

Your comments provide an opportunity to retrain and further strengthen our Front Desk. We will discuss and review our procedures for maintaining peaceful and quiet halls during weekend family travel.

We are also looking at the possibility of converting one of our vending areas into a guest laundry, as we understand this is a nice convenience for guests traveling long term. We are in the early stage of this and need to make sure we can comply with all Hampton standards in this process.

It is feedback such as yours that assist us in the monitoring of the hotel's success, and is used as a tool to further achieve the high standard of quality service for which we strive. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hampton Inn Fishkill during your next visit!

Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

It was fine, nothing fancy. Room was clean, TV worked. Highway noise didn't bother us (3rd floor) but the heat was quite loud. The free breakfast was much appreciated. If we were staying longer I'd prefer the fitness center to be on-site but the pool looked nice. We paid less than $100 so we felt we got our money's worth.

• Stayed: January 2013
EddieBello, General Manager at Hampton Inn Fishkill, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to complete a review from your recent stay at the Hampton Inn Fishkill. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast, experienced a clean comfortable room, and found value in your stay with us. As you mentioned in your comment, you found the heating unit in your room to be louder than normal. I am happy to report our Chief Engineer, Norman, has been removing each heating unit out of the wall to repair, test, and deep clean. Those units that are beyond repair are being replaced with energy efficient GE heating units. This process that we focused on in mid-January will provide a fresh scent in the room and a peaceful sleep at night for all of our valued guests.

Also, as someone that exercises daily, I understand your concern regarding the lack of an on-site fitness center. We have a great relationship with All Sport Fitness Center less than a mile from our hotel, who welcomes all of our hotel guests to use their full fitness facility for free.

We greatly appreciate your comments, as it is this type of feedback that informs us of the areas that we can improve on and is used as a tool to further achieve the high standard of quality service for which we strive. I truly hope to welcome you back to that Hampton Inn Fishkill in the near future!