“Dirty, stinky, run-down, tired hotel in serious need of an update”

Extended Stay America - Fishkill - Route 9
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Fishkill
Chicago, Illinois
“Dirty, stinky, run-down, tired hotel in serious need of an update”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

When we arrived to check in, there was no one at the desk. A sign read "Please call 0 and I will come down immediately". We called, and waited...more people showed up behind me...we waited some more. The woman who finally showed up was pleasant enough. I asked for a non-smoking room. She handed me the keys and when we got off the elevator the smell of smoke was overwhelming. We were technically given a non-smoking room, but a few doors down was the smoking section of rooms. My room smelled bad, it was dirty, there wasn't any shampoo in the bathroom, it looked like a bad design from the 1980s, and was in need of a paint job. Dirty vent in the bathroom. Eww eww ewwww.

I called the front desk to ask for shampoo and the same woman said she'd bring it up to our room. We waited...and waited...and waited (do you detect a theme here?). No show. So I called again thinking maybe she forgot. She said she'd bring it right up. In about 5-10 minutes she knocked at the door with the shampoo.

The smell of smoke continued through the night (I should have asked for another room, but we were too tired to do so)...I even had to open the window because it was so bad. In the morning, I went down to the front desk to complain. She told me that I was on a smoking floor even though my room was non-smoking. (What a stupid idea! The whole floor should be smoking if that's the case). A different woman (who was also pleasant) told me she'd have the manager call me. I haven't gotten a call (what a surprise!).

Went to the "grab-and-go" breakfast room - a very small selection of oatmeal packets, a few granola bars, some coffee/tea, and a couple of sad-looking pastries. And - wait for it - no cups!!! I walked back over to the front desk and told the woman about it. She opened the cabinet, no cups there either. She seemed to look everywhere for cups, while other people started gathering, waiting for breakfast. Still no cups! She brought ONE CERAMIC CUP over, and I left. Not sure if any more cups materialized. There's a Starbucks next door - guess where I went for coffee?

Having only one person at the desk for this size hotel is unthinkable. I felt bad for each of the women who worked there. They weren't to blame, the management is. Bad management, dirty, run-down, smoky, stinky hotel with bad service (due to not enough front desk staff)!

Please, for your own sake, don't make the same mistake I did. Pick somewhere else!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Vacationer508
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Fishkill - Route 9, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that you experience all these issues during your stay.

As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have taken measures to ensure your experience is not repeated. The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve.

We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I booked this room with Hotels.com and they said there was a full complimentary breakfast but that was not the case. I called Hotels.com and they were kind enough to give me a $50 coupon for future use toward my next booking. The hotel has a good location but it was not clean as we found old potato chips under the edge of the sofa, food crumbs on the desk chair and food stuck to the range hood. We were told there was an express breakfast of muffins, coffee, ECT but the area was not maintained or restocked. There was no hot coffee and we ended up at the Starbucks. Cleanliness is important to me when traveling so I would not recommend this location. The outside of the main entrance must have been the area for smoking as we had to walk through a number of people standing around smoking on two occasions. The area of Hotel felt safe and was very close to highway.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Fishkill hotels

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The staff was great, room was a good value, but a large tribe of smokers blocked and stunk up the front door and foyer to a degree I have never seen. It detracted from one's first impression, to have to hold one's breath and walk thru the smoke. Staff did what they could, (sprayed air freshener), but the strong smell lingered. Aside from this, the quick breakfast was lacking. Do not calculate a benefit from breakfast, as you will get good coffee, and eat elsewhere. Especially if you bring kids.

Room Tip: Room A/C was a little loud when it cycled on/off, but didn't keep me up. Use side entrances to a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Edward C
high springs fl
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Excellent place to inhabitant- when so far from home. Rooms clean, large at a reasonable cost. Staff very effective with giving the clients service. The nice thing about this extended stay, were the people whom ran the place, they knew about the local stores, the places to eat, the mode of transportation, what was around the area to do, and too, they were willing to go out of their way to make sure you understood how to go and the different means of transportation needed to get there.. I would say that this extended Hotel America is worth the pleasure to stay again, even for a short trip to and from upstate to the big NY City.....

Room Tip: Upstairs if you like the warmth- down stairs if you have pets and children to contend with.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Wappingers Falls, New York
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I lived at the Extended Stay for aproximately 3.5 months while my house was being rebuilt. While I am happy to be back in my home - I would go back to the Extended Stay again if needed.

The pros:
1) Cheaper than a regular hotel that charges by the night
2) Offers Clean Room with small cooking area/sink/medium fridge, Place to do Laundry
3) Privacy is respected - and the staff was always helpful when I did need something
4) Always felt that I (as well as my personal belongings) were safe
5) Walking distance to several restaurants, Walmart, Movie Thater, some other shopping
6) Right by I84

The Cons:
1) If you cook - you are likely going to smell it in your room all night. Also smell it in the hallway
2) Cleaning Service - once a week to make bed/vaccuum/clean bathroom
3) Limited TV - has basic channels - although still never found FOX. Do not have extended like cooking channel
4) Wireless is free but slow. You can purchase their faster internet for more money...but it wasn't faster and would chunk along.Every month password would change on my wireless internet and I would have to call to get new code.
5) Door key would lose its code every other week and I would have to keep going to the front desk to get it reset each time
6) I kept extending my stay prior to my end date expired. Each time I extended - the system would think that I checked out and send me an email thanking me for my stay and ask me to rate their place. I only had 1 very long visit - so would have expected only 1 email after I checked out instead of 1 each time that I extended

Overall: It met my expectation and I would stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the End of the Hallway will hear people going in/out of the hotel all night. You also smel...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank HollyR_3
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Fishkill - Route 9, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Holly - I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. Please accept our apologies that we did not meet all your expectations. Still, we are pleased to know that our staff was so helpful and that you felt safe at all times.

Milford
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Excellent location. The staff our friendly and helpful. The room was very clean. Love the full size refrigerator and kitchen. We stayed two days and it was easy to get up route 9 to all the venues we wanted to see. Very close to restuarants and shopping. Would stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank janimal1
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Fishkill - Route 9, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review about your stay at our hotel. I am so happy to read that our team provided you with such friendly and helpful service. As well, we are glad that you enjoyed your room.

Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I was very influenced by other trip advisor reviewers while deciding to stay at this facility. The overall stay of two nights was probably one night too much. The facility is dated, clean but getting worn. There were several annoying items.Our first assigned room had a terrible overwhelming smell. To me it smelled like urine...I would assume pet urine. We got another room, which was missing a tv channel remote. There appears to be mold growing in the ceiling of the shower.The breakfast was very spartan...no juices, no decaf coffee. There were some muffins, apples, granola bars, instant cereal. I asked for "original" half and half, instead of french vanilla. None was available.
Be aware.... there was very limited room service for short stays....such as bed making , garbage collection.

The staff was pleasant.

I don't think I could stay here again. Certainly not for two nights

In retrospect, I think I would have paid more.

Room Tip: if you stay here check your room before unpacking
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family