“Wouldn't stay here again unless it's free”

Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Fishkill/Poughkeepsie Area
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Fishkill
Connecticut
“Wouldn't stay here again unless it's free”
Reviewed October 16, 2010

My family of four (kids ages 5 & 7) stayed here for one night because we had a family wedding in Staatsburg. We tried to book with a few Marriotts closer to Staatsburg, but they were completely booked even many months in advance. We used Marriott points for a free stay. I would pay to stay here again only if traveling with our dog.

The staff was great- no complaints there. The complimentary breakfast was better than expected. My kids loved the waffle machine. The location, right off I84, is near every chain restaurant you could possibly need for a weekend trip. You can walk to Starbucks and several restaurants.

This property appears decent at first glance;however, as we walked to our building, located in the rear of the property, we decided it looked like a not-very-well maintained 70s condo complex. There was paint peeling. The residents had loud, barking dogs, dirty windows, and garbage bags on the grass.

Our room was on the upper level. As we ascended the stairs, we noticed peeling paint on the railings. The room, with one king bed and one very uncomfortable couch, was clean enough for our neurotic standards. It did, however, have an old and musty odor that made it unpleasant to be in the room. We turned the heat on and that, too, had a terrible odor. We visited family members staying in other rooms. The few rooms we were in were similar to ours. Mediocre and that unpleasant/needs-a-renovation odor.

We were glad we only pretty much slept in the room. I would not have enjoyed a longer stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 1, 2010

Itravelled with family which included 2 kids and we found this hotel great. We had left it until last minute to get a room and we were pleasantly surprised by the size of the suite. It had a loft with queen bed and bathroom upstairs and also pull out queen murphy bed downstairs , full kitchen and dining table and sitting area with fireplace. It was nice and quiet and room clean. Breakfast was included which was average apart from them running out of food and having to wait. Good value would stay again location isnt that nice though.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
chapel hill
Reviewed September 30, 2010

The front desk staff was just great, helping us with so many tasks for the wedding. The rooms were clean and well-maintained. A great weekend.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 19, 2010

We looked at all the alternatives in the Fishkill area -- and pretty far outside of it -- and found nothing as good or attractively priced as this Residence Inn. Our room was huge, well-furnished, clean and quiet. The staff were friendly and the breakfast was a great deal, particularly considering our low room rate (we made reservations online). Our visit was a short one (only one night, since we were in transit) so we didn't sample many things besides the room and the breakfast the next morning, but we'll definitely go back the next time we're in the area. It was perfect.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vagabondas
Towanda, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Although we arrived before 11:00 a.m. (check out time for current guests) to reconfirm our reservation for that evening we did ask if by chance our room was available early. The friendly and courteous hostess checked to see if any king suites were already vacant and cleaned to allow us to check in right then. Nothing was available but after a brief discussion with the manager we were offered an upgrade for an available penthouse suite so we would be able to freshen up now and enjoy our day with friends without worry about arriving back at the hotel to check in late. The hotel decor is showing its age but our room was very clean and well appointed and the staff was friendly and efficient. A lavish complimentary breakfast was well organized and maintained.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Stafford, Virginia
Reviewed June 26, 2010

Stayed here only one night as we were traveling with a dog. Room was large, but needed renovating. Had not been cleaned very well. We found money on the couch and there was spider webs throughout the room. There was no way I could have had a child sleep on the sofa bed....very uncomfortable. It was OK for the dog...we stayed on the ground level and there were plenty of places to walk him. Only recommend this hotel if you can't find anywhere else that will take a pet.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Fishkill hotels

Tampa, FL
Reviewed June 6, 2010

I will try and make this short since most people who are looking for a review need only two things, Price and Cleanliness.

Traveled from Florida to visit West Point. Looked on line for a "Marriott" property since they are usually a good value. I looked at trip advisor for this property and noticed the last review was 2009. So I used google and hotels.com to get a more recent review. Nothing stood out so we made the reservation.

Arrived at 8 pm and had a reservation to hold the room. Called in advance to make sure they had me on file, which they did. When I pulled into the parking lot I was surprised that the hotel actually looked like a small apartment complex. This was great because traveling with kids you need as much room as possible.

As I parked and exited the car I got a good look at the property. I started to get that feeling......this wasn't going to be good. I went to the lobby and met with the front desk. She was eating her dinner as she checked me in. Everyone's gotta eat but at the front desk?? Come on! She presented me with a list of rules which stated No Smoking, No Pets, etc...

I signed with pleasure since that is exactly what I was looking for in a hotel. We got the room key and drove to the other side of the parking lot. As I walked up to the building I started getting that feeling again. The side walks were all broken and cracked, the shrubs were over grown and all the wood chip was missing from the flower beds.

The outside of the building was disgusting. It hadn't been painted in years. I got to the ground floor room which was right next to the pool. There were several men dressed in what appeared to be gang colors hanging around the pool and they were all smoking.

I entered the room and it looked like it was 1970 all over again. The room was partly redone but it still had old carpet and old appliances. The bedding was fresh and the counters were new. That's about it! Then the smell hit me.....MOLD! Need I say more?

I went back to the front desk and asked to be moved to another room. By this time she was finished with her meal and was happy to help. I went to the second room and found more of the same. This time I got slammed with the odor of cigarette smoke that was lingering in the room.

At this point I was done with the place. I went to the front desk and checked out! Hampton Inn next door is much better.

Good luck, pass up this property as fast as you can!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family