“Cutting Corners?”

Cracker Barrel
Ranked #7 of 92 Restaurants in Fishkill
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
East Fishkill, New York
“Cutting Corners?”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Cracker Barrel has never been one of our favorite places for dinner. There is always an annoying din -- it is a very noisy place. We prefer their breakfasts. Most of the dinner fare is unappealing, with a few exceptions. We always enjoyed their Reuben sandwiches. My companion ordered that and was pretty disappointed. He found it unnecessarily greasy, and felt that they were skimping on the portion of corned beef in the sandwich which in previous visits had been quite generous. I opted for breakfast: Momma's French Toast Breakfast, which is really too much food. It includes 4 pieces of french toast, two slices of bacon (or other meat selection) and two eggs cooked to order. I really didn't want the eggs, but it costs more to order just the french toast with a side of bacon. The bacon was horribly overdone to the point of being burned. It crumbled into dust when I tried to cut it. The french toast was correctly cooked and was quite good. I noticed that the usual complimentary biscuits were not offered, so I asked our server about that. She responded that they now only provide them when requested (still at no charge). But how are newer patrons even to know that they are available upon request? The overall impression is that Cracker Barrel is cutting corners in an effort to save money with a less than successful result. Service was ordinary -- our server seemed to combine our food and drinks with other table orders to save herself a few steps (our table was about as far from the kitchen as one could get), but this caused us to have to wait a bit too long after making a request.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Sundancekid330

• Korean first
Pawling, New York
“A nice porkchop; great trout fillets”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Sometimes, I just want a porkchop; Cracker Barrel is where I can get it and not too expensive and it is a good quality chop. Their trout fillets are wonderful and I am not a fish fan but so happy they have this on their menu. I am a big Cracker Barrel in Fishkill and in other states. Always healthy food, service is always polite,friendly and good.

Visited October 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Close to Hyatt House in Fishkill”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

If you're looking for a greasy spoon this is the place.

reasonably priced breakfast menu with all the fixings.

Visited December 2013
Roslyn Heights, New York, USA
“Went for Thanksgiving, Somewhat disappointed”
Reviewed December 6, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

My mom and I went here for thanksgiving - it's hard to beat $9.99 for a Thanksgiving dinner; but I'm not a ham eater, and asked that they give me just turkey - my portion was half of what my mom was served, even though we both asked for no ham; upon request they brought me an extra slice, which is fine, but the service overall left much to be desired. I guess you get what you pay for.

Visited December 2013
North New England
“Cracker Barrel”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We had good service and good food comparable to other Cracker Barrel restaurants we have eaten at. Wait staff was prompt and attentive. The location was convenient . I was surprised to see that there were several Disney themed items available for sale. We happen to be Disney fans. So this was a nice surprise.

Visited November 2013