“Delicious for me, not so good for my partner in crime”
Review of Il Barilotto

Il Barilotto
Ranked #3 of 92 Restaurants in Fishkill
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
New York City, New York
“Delicious for me, not so good for my partner in crime”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to check out Il Barilotto on a Saturday afternoon for lunch. It was right after a snowfall, so there weren't that many people out in the streets.

When we arrived, we opened the door to find a red, heavy curtain on a circular ring covering the door. Kind of like a shower curtain, but massive and intimidating. I thought the place was closed and had to step around it to see if there were any people. It was kind of awkward. I imagine they have it to block the cold and sun since the windows are big and the door lets in the wind. Still there has to be a more inviting, logical way to do this.

We waited about 7 minutes to be noticed, even though wait staff walked by and looked right at his. The host eventually dropped by to say hi and seat us, but not before answering an incoming phone call. His demeanor was not welcoming or pleasant, in fact he was kind of snobby. And boy, we were lucky enough to be waited by him, too. Not! He took his time and didn't bring our check until much later.

The decor was beautiful and I really liked the feel of the restaurant. It was quite and kind of romantic, but still very cozy.

I had the special of the day, it was a ravioli that was stuffed with cheese and covered in a divine cream with prosciutto shavings about. I really enjoyed it. My boyfriend had the chicken sandwich with mushrooms, though, and he was disgusted. He couldn't finish half the sandwich and the chicken was greasy, the kind of greasy that barely comes off your fingers. When we got home he had a pretty bad stomach ache from the sandwich, we ended up throwing it away instead of eating the leftovers like we normally do.

We really wanted desert, but for $9.50 for gelato, we said no thank you.

Other than that the price was not bad, but for the experience and my boyfriend's reaction, we might give this one more try before officially checking it off our Hudson Valley restaurants list.

• Visited January 2013

Philadelphia
“Perfect”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

A small noisy restaurant with limited ambiance but great food and service. Was visiting Hyde Park and looked at Trip Advisor for good restaurants and found this gem. Everyone in my group thought the quality of the food was excellent.

• Visited February 2013
Fort Myers, Florida
“Very Quaint - Excellent Authentic Food”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Love this restaurant. Some of the Italian dishes are so authentic and made the way my great grandmother made them. The polenta appetizer is phenomenol. Everything we've ordered has had a freshness to it and made to order.

Visited April 2012
2 Thank diane2484
Poughkeepsie, New York
“Can't miss”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Have lived here and dined often for 10 years, this is the best restaurant in the Hudson Valley. Service, atmosphere and food are all top notch.

Visited December 2012
Syracuse, New York
“First class dining and service”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

The menu selections are top notch, with excellent and knowlegable wait staff. This is the place to go in Fishkill for a fine dining experience.

Visited September 2012