“Good Experience”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Cherry Grove
London
“Good Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

We stayed at the Grove recently and had a great time. The staff were friendly, the pool was a laugh and the clientele were a fun crowd.

Room was a little noisy at night (especially at weekends) due to people congregating on the balcony at the front of the complex.

Entertainment was generally very good apart from one annoying act that seem to go on for an eternity.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room stay at the back - however you dont get the pool view. Get to the pool e...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Key West, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

I read through some of the reviews and thought that yes, some people make some valid points but things need to be put into perspective. There are THREE hotels in the Grove and they all have to make an entire year's income in less than 6 months (in reality, the season is about 2 months!) I challenge anyone here to operate a business with 6 months of no income and 4 more months of mediocre income at best. Yes, if you want to go for invasion, you're going to pay a HUGE premium to stay there and you will get the same room that is $69 on a weeknight in May so you may think it's not worth it but if you are going to Fire Island for the room, you're missing what Fire Island is all about.

Staying at the Grove Hotel puts you right where the action is. If you do Fire Island right, you're only going to sleep in your room so you won't care about the TVs (which have all been upgraded to flat screens), it's cool at night so you won't care that they installed an A/C in every room now, you will be out of your room and at the pool or the beach for the day so you won't care that the room is small. What you will notice through all the deficiencies is that the room is clean, the pool is sparkling, the shows are amazing, and the location is the best.

If you have an attitude, get yourself a share in the Pines. If you want to be around people and actually have fun, this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: If you're on a budget, they have amazing weeknight specials in the late spring and early fall.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank NRC66
Hartford, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2010

This place bills itself as a resort hotel? It is a dump! This is the largest Inn in the village of Cherry Grover on Fire Island. I have always wanted to go to Fire Island and finally had the chance after saving for this expensive destination. After a grueling day of traveling to Long Island and then taking the ferry across Great South Bay, we were expecting our first visit to Fire Island to be a pleasant event. It was anything but and mostly due to the poor accommodations at the Cherry Grover Hotel.

For $300.00 a night, YES A NIGHT, the room with a double bed was no more than 12' wide. The bed was awful. Uncomfortable. Thin sheets. Floor was stained. TV only got three channels. Bathroom was in disrepair. Hole in wall and shower head full of mold. Th A/C filter was filled with dirt and I actually washed it out myself as no air was coming into the room. When I inquired about moving my room I was told that they were filled and no other rooms were available. Since I paid in advance, I felt stuck for the weekend. No one could come to address any of the concerns in the room. It is clear that this place has a captive market and could care less about hospitality or quality accommodations. Not only will I not ever recommend or go here again, but I will never go to Cherry Grover again either. The image it has puts a poor light on the entire village

I would definitely not recommend this place to anyone. There are other smaller Inn's on the Island in both Cherry Grover and in The Pines and I would recommend to anyone that they stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Jim L

Travelers are raving about these Cherry Grove hotels

NYC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2010

The Grove Hotel suffered a fire this past winter on the north end of the hotel but they have fixed it up,these photos are not accurate, they have new linens, new flat screen TVs.for me it all is about location, location!..and this is it!..I only go during the week, so weekdays are allot less crowed,less noisy,less expensive than the weekends..but people go here to have a good time on the weekends..I am too old for that party phase..I went through it and am just an observer now...NEVER expect anything on this island to be FIVE stars unless it's you own HOME in the PINES or anywhere..this is a TWO star place and will remain so..but within that frame,it satisfies MY needs..everyone that works here from Ramon to Wendy are super-super!!..

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank pointer165
New York City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2009

I will say that my title is exactly how I felt about my stay here. I stayed Sunday night with a group of friends. This was my first time in this part of the island and my room-mate and I chose to stay at this property because was pointed out by our friends due to the incredibly good room rates. However, when I read the reviews, I began to think that even the deal we got through the hotel may not have been worth it.

Upon arrival, I was really anxious. We had been having trouble booking online due to it not recognizing the credit card numbers either myself or my room-mate were putting in so we had to wait while they took all of our info down upon arrival. This, wasn't too bad, as we did get to check-in at 12.

On the walk to the room, I was holding my breath. I had seen pictures of the rooms here and was actually pretty scared about what I would see when we opened the door. Upon opening the door, I know I let out a huge sigh of relief. As stated in one of the comments on the reviews, the property has recently been updated. The linens are newer, flat screens in the room (however, we were only in the room to shower and sleep) apparently AC is now in all the rooms as well. And even though the rooms were indeed small, I didn't need, nor want, a huge space. The carpet, bathroom and linens were clean. Though it looked like there was a stain on part of the fitted sheet, that was it.

All in all, I was actually surprised at how decent the property was for the money we paid. I would definitely stay here again and would even recommend it to friends. It's by no means the Waldorf=Astoria, or even a Hampton Inn, but if you're looking for a place to sleep, shower and change, this is the place. The shows that they have in the afternoon are great fun, its staff is pleasant enough and the property is overall good. For the quality of service this property is expected to deliver, it meets those expectations so it has my vote.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank MrFashionista
Danbury, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2009

I was very hesitant of staying here because of the prior reviews but I’m glad I did! The hotel must be under new management because the staff, especially Ramon at the front desk and John at the adjacent night-club, were very attentive, friendly and courteous. The room was immaculately clean! I had the deluxe room with a small kitchenette that included sink, refrigerator, microwave, storage drawers, utensils and dinnerware place settings. Everything about the room was brand new! New beds, bedding, TV, rug and even the paint! There was NO mildew smell like most rooms near a beach. I brought my own hangers but I did not need them as hangers were available. The water in the shower turned hot after a couple of minutes and the water pressure was stronger han most hotels in NYC. The towels were soft and had no stains. Ice was available at the night-club and the pizza joint located on the premises delivered to the room. There was even a very adequate gift shop! The pool was closed but it was good to see a hotel pool being completely drained out and professionally cleaned. I was to stay two nights but stayed a third because I was so comfortable with my accommodations. I got a great rate by calling and asking for a promotional offer. I recommed staying at the back of the hotel if possible as the night-club music goes on until 4am. There was no wireless connection but I did connect to the Fire Island server for $20, good for 48 hours. I highly recommend this hotel when visiting Cherry Grove.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
NEW YORK CITY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2008

If you want to read more on this horrible dump, head over to

TIMES SQUARE GOSSIP WHICH JUST DID A REVIEW.

This is the worst hotel ever ! NEVER EVER AGAIN !

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Mold And Cots
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank SHAYNE1233
#1 of 1 in Massapequa Park
Danford's Hotel & Marina
Danford's Hotel & Marina
#1 of 2 in Port Jefferson

Been to Cherry Grove Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!