“Excellent value”
Review of Belvedere Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cherry Grove
Belvedere Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Cherry Grove
Brussels
“Excellent value”
Reviewed March 3, 2006

Deserves its Trip Avisor reputation. Good value for money. Clean. Efficient. Excellent location.

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
NewYork, Ny
Reviewed August 8, 2005

Fun and an Experience! I stayed at the hotel for my birthday with my partner and we were one of the youngest couples there. The hotel itself is really pretty from the outside and rather modest once you enter. I knew it was a clothing optional hotel and was not surprised to see nudity, but was disappointed to see the rest of the men were over 60+. Again, not for the faint of heart!

The rooms are small, but the hotel is in a great location. Minutes from the beach, a short walk to Cherry Grove and close to the Pines - it is really in the center of the Fire Island experience. I would recommend it for a "fun, lets escape and be uninhibited" gay weekend - it is a very liberal environment and you will find a cute friendly staff. One minus is that, although the room is clean when you get there, they dont clean your room until you leave -which can cause a problem.

If you want a fun time with the option of wearing no clothes, then go there. If you are looking for a family - type atmosphere...keep searching! In any case, I would recommend it!

WORK!

• Stayed August 2005
7 Thank TAINOSABIONYC
Monroe, NC USA
Reviewed June 20, 2005

The Belvedere's owner John Everhardt who retains managerial duties was instrumental in developing the Grove. The hotel has provoked endless rampant rumor and scuttlebutt to wit no woman has ever set foot within.
A flea bag by no means, it fits into a lengthy litany of compounds & resorts where bs is not on the menu, but bring your own toys. Cupolas provided.
The season's short and the theme rooms are many. Hurricane damaged in the past, a theatrical set designers fantasy, no well-travelled man should'nt have stayed there. It is like nothing else in the east tho more than anything there was a Florida-Flagler influence. Around every corner are 100 vignettes worthy of Vogue or House Beautiful.

• Stayed August 2004
3 Thank giraffebro
North Babylon, New York
Reviewed June 20, 2004

I figured I would surprise my boyfriend with a romantic trip to the Belvedere Hotel. It is a large structure that is visible from the Fire Island Ferry and water taxis. For many years I had thought is was lovely from the outside but the cost of the rooms had kept me from staying there. Against my better judgement I made a reservation last weekend and I was heartbroken. Despite the outrageous cost of the rooms the PLACE WAS FILTHY. We stayed in the "Music Room" which gets its name from a picture of the opera hanging on the wall. The room was covered in heavy fabric and wall paper-not a good idea when your hotel is in a musty environment like Fire Island. It stunk of mold and mildew. The linens were old and moth eaten. My boyfriend refused to get under the covers--he laid our towels on the bed and we slept on top of the linens. The rest of the hotel is in equally bad shape; it is essentially falling apart. I have traveled to many places but have never had an experience quite like this. Needless to say we went home the following morning. Please walk past and admire the hotel from the outside. It is quite beautiful from afar and has tremendous potential but don't waste your money

20 Thank fdzi

Travelers are raving about these Cherry Grove hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 27, 2003

This hotel has been a Cherry Grove landmark since the 1950's. It is a fixture in gay history and is like no other hotel you will expeience.
To compare it to a standard hotel experience will find it lacking in many ways. I stay there whenever I am in Cherry Grove because it is like no other place I've ever been. If you want to stay at a cookie cutter Ramada Inn go right ahead. This is a hotel I hope will always be there for people with a sense of their history and some imagination.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 18, 2002

Spent a weekend in this once glorious hotel in cherry grove. The place is falling apart. It took fifteen minutes just to get the key to turn in the lock every time we came and left our room. Chairs on our deck were missing legs and unusable, the deck was full of broken boards. Screens were not secured to the windows so they flapped in the breeze like window shades.

Also the whole place has become a sleazy type of bath house where you get out of the private shower in your room and someone is staring in from the window. Also we woke at 6 am to find a naked man outside our room window watching us sleep. It was VERY creepy!!

The health department closed down both the hotel pool and hot tub - although when booking a room at the height of the summer season, the owner neglets to tell you that.

They also played musical rooms with us as well - we booked a luxury room at a whopping $350(!!!!) a night and were moved to a $250 a night room - although the owner insited it was a $350 a night rate as well - although a subsequent call to the hotel asking the rate for the exact room we stayed in revealed it was in fact priced at $250.

Everytime we passed the front desk, other guests were engaged in arguments with the owner about a variety of things. Rooms that should have been ready to check at 12 noon were not ready until 6PM that night. A guest was complaining that the sheets on the bed to his newly checked into room were filthy and had obviously not been changed since the previous guest. People were screaming they would never return.

The owner - somewhere in his 90s - who you usually never see was doing all the work. Setting up breakfast, checking people in, answering the phones. I guess either his staff left him, or he did not hire a full staff so that he could save money.

It used to be great - but now it is more like Grey Gardens - run down, falling apart and filthy dirty. Stay at your own risk...

31 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hyatt Regency Long Island
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge
Residence Inn Long Island Islip/Courthouse Complex
Hilton Garden Inn Islip/MacArthur Airport

Been to Belvedere Hotel? Share your experiences!