“Not a good food visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Bonefish Grill

Bonefish Grill
Ranked #3 of 35 Restaurants in Fayetteville
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Rochester, New York
1,910 restaurant reviews
“Not a good food visit”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I like Bonefish Grill; I enjoy my visits almost every time, to every Bonefish Grill. However, my visit to the location in Fayetteville, NY yielded some unpleasant experiences that I hope are not repeated in other restaurants.

Everything about our arrival and seating was fine. We were a group of three who were between meetings, and pretty hungry. We ordered a round of appetizers, which I must admit were pretty good. The Bang Bang Shrimp was the featured starter, although I opted for the BFG seafood dip with seasoned dipping crackers, (the name was something different), which was very good. The dip was a savory mixture of seafood, cheese, and some filler, served hot and very nice. I really enjoyed it.

The problem started when they brought my beet-and-goat cheese salad. I know that dishes very from one restaurant to another, and I am used to a pile of beets with the goat cheese sprinkled on top and throughout. However, on this salad, I had to inspect the dish pretty closely to find the beets. (Slight exaggeration, but not a lot.) There were a few shaved beets draped across the top, and some cubed pieces underneath, but besides that it was basically a pile of field greens (salad leaves). I don't think there was more than one aggregate slice of beet in the entire salad. It tasted OK, but it was NOT a beet salad. Our waitress noticed my disappointment, and did offer to bring me something else instead, but I stayed with my "green salad" rather than order something else.

For my main course, I ordered the crab cakes, as I do enjoy those in most places. It was supposed to come with two side dishes, but the waitress told me that one of my sides was pre-determined; a seasoned chick pea dish with sausage and some other ingredients mixed in. When my dish came, I discovered that the chick peas were basically, well...a pile of chick peas. If there was any sausage mixed in, I couldn't detect it, either visually or by taste. A very bland side dish that contributed little or nothing to the meal. However, it was the crab cakes that were the most disappointing part of this entrée. They were EXTREMELY small, and way over-salted. When I've ordered crab cakes in the past, I've always received two cakes that were each the size of a hamburger; even a small hamburger. However, Bonefish Grill's crab cakes were about one and a half inches across - about the size of a large scallop. Each one was good for about 3-4 bites, at most. In addition, they were extremely salty, and I went through three large glasses of Diet Coke with my main course. I'm glad I had an appetizer and some of the bread with my salad, otherwise this would not have been enough to eat.

I don't know if this is the standard of food preparation for this restaurant, but it was not up to par with the other Bonefish Grills in which I have dined. Service was good, and the restaurant itself was very pleasant and clean, but the food just didn't make it. I will probably not return to this Bonefish Grill location.

• Visited January 2014

Kingston, ON
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We have visited this restaurant in the past and the brand in other locations. Our last visit was on Black Friday. Made an early reservation, 6:30pm, and the place was not overly busy – maybe at about 60% capacity. We started with wine and a drink – the martini was fine but the wine was served in a dirty glass. When we mentioned to our VERY nice server she said that there were issues with some of the glasses coming out of the dishwasher, a second glass was brought – same issue… until the 4th glass which we cleaned ourselves at the table! We also ordered as an appetizer a Caesar Salad and a bowl of Corn Chowder – the salad had nearly as much “rusted” lettuce in it as non-rusted lettuce and the Chowder was cold – not cool but COLD, it was sent back to be “warmed up”. We pointed at the salad and soup issue to our server, again VERY nice server, and she then mentioned it to whom I assume was the “manager”. He came to our table and said “sorry” for what has happened, had very little personality, and left. (Made me feel like the issues were our fault.) Our dinner consisted of Gulf Grouper (small portion – no I mean SMALL portion) with a side of Garlic Whipped Potatoes and the veggies of the day and an order of Tilapia Imperial. With the grouper the side was the Potatoes au Gratin – not the whipped as ordered and the entire dinner was cool in temp. The Tilapia Imperial was not even close to being an “imperial”. Visiting any restaurant in the “Delmarva” area would be a great education for the BFG menu writers/chefs. We now have a new server and she wanted to take my whole plate of grouper to remove the wrong side and put the ordered one on the plate – I asked that she get a new side and leave me with my meal that we’ve waited nearly 40 minutes for. By the way, remember the cold Chowder, never reappeared on the table and the server never mentioned it!! When we did after our meal and she asked if we wanted it! No thanks. After all of these ridiculous issues the server mentioned that the manager had “comp’d” our dinner and drinks and was offering desert. We talked about it and decided that it would be hard to mess up a desert, right? We ordered the Jen’s Jamaican Coconut Pie that comes with a warmed rum sauce. Well Jen must have forgotten about the coconut and… the warmed rum sauce comes in a small round dish if asked to have it on the side – in the rum sauce was a “large” piece of melted plastic, disgusting. I know – the meal was comp’d and the first server we had was VERY nice and genuinely felt bad. All of the issues were not professionally dealt with – made us fell as we were bothersome – the manager really had no sense of caring and no personality. All in all – a VERY disappointing dinner.

• Visited November 2013
Homer
“Decent”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

After repeated visits to Bonefish I can say that the food and service deserve high marks for quality and consistency. However, there seems to be little differentiation between large corporate franchise food operations that if it weren't for the few individuals whose service stands out that it wouldn't be worth venturing out for overpriced sustenance. No doubt I'll be back. Few places can match the variety of fish and numerous ways to prepare it.

• Visited December 2013
schplinky
“A fantastic brunch”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I love this restaurant for dinner but it also shines at brunch. What a treat! I find their dishes to be creative and satisfying and the cocktails aren't bad, either! My only advice is to eat after noon if you want a drink because of the archaic laws in NY State on serving alcohol on Sundays.

• Visited December 2013
Connecticut, USA
“Good selection of fish”
Reviewed December 16, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

If you like fish, they have a great selection of it. For non-fish, they are ok. The service is good and they open late.

Visited November 2013