Woodcliff Hotel and Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Room Service
View Hotel
All reviewsexecutive roomrochester areahole golf coursewedding nightoutdoor poolchocolate covered strawberriescouples massagebreakfast buffethot tubeastview malltwo queen bedsrochester nymini fridgehorizons restaurantfitness centergreat roomnew york
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 3, 2014

On a weekend getaway for my sons 11th birthday and brought along my mother-in-law as well. Check-in was quick and easy. The rooms, and the entire hotel was comfortable and clean and the grounds are beautiful. The staff here is excellent. Everyone we had any contact with were friendly and professional. My son really enjoyed the pool. There were, however, a few odd design issues. The air conditioner/heater is located about 3 feet from one of the beds (we had room with two beds). The weather was very hot during our stay so keeping the air conditioner on meant that the person sleeping in the bed close to it was blasted with cold air in order to make it comfortable in the rest of the room. The bathroom door and entry door were close enough such that if the bathroom door was opened, the entry door wouldn't open all the way. We were on the second floor. Just outside the elevator the hallway is open on one side such that it looks over the lobby on the first floor. There is a glass partition about a foot from a brass railing. My mother in law went to look over the rail into the lobby and bonked her head on the glass partition. While in the elevator I heard about two other people that did the exact same thing. While none of these issues negatively impacted our stay (though I can't really speak for my mother-in-law) they were just little things that kept me from giving it a 5 star review. I consider the price to be quite fair for the quality of the accommodations and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I don't know if there was a price difference but the view from the rooms on west/southwest side of the hotel are *significantly* better than on the other side.
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Overall, a very nice place to stay for a weekend get away, or for a few days if you're in the area on business. A little pricey, considering the rooms are nothing more than what you would expect at a Holiday Inn. They have been upgraded a bit with large floor to ceiling showers and nice little coffee and drink preparation area, but altogether nothing really special.

The staff is wonderful - very attentive, friendly and willing to help out with anything. Pool and exercise area are top-notch and the grounds and views are excellent. Hiking trails are accessible from the hotel grounds and the smallish 9-hole golf course is really quite nice (golf carts available at the front hotel entrance).

Dinner was very, very good and service was outstanding. Nice music played in the lounge/bar area - not too loud with plenty of selections to dance to. Mostly an older crowd (mid-70's) but even for those of us a bit younger, it was a lot of fun.

The wife and I really enjoyed getting away, even if for a short weekend. This is a top-notch hotel with top-notch facilities and a excellent restaurant. As I said earlier, it is a bit pricey compared to some of the better hotels we've stayed at, but we will be back and would recommend it to our friends.

Room Tip: Views are best from the top floor (6th).
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sargeman
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Woodcliff's Chef Matt held his first cooking class yesterday afternoon, it was fantastic! What a great idea to incorporate into all Woodcliff Hotel & Spa has to offer. All of the dishes made were delicious and we also were given recipes for several of the items. I look forward to his next class!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2014

They say that you can tell the quality of the management of a place by the feeling that you get when you interact with the employees. If that is true, then the management of the Woodcliff are the best employers ever. It's like being at Disneyland. Everyone you come into contact with at this place is pleasant, helpful, and goes the extra mile. I would recommend that the management give a bonus or a shout-out to everyone who was working on the weekend I was there, but that's probably not necessary. They probably do it anyway! The best thing about this place, and there is a lot to like, but the best thing, is it's amazing customer service. But here's a list of the other things that I liked as well: 1) Of course, the people. 2) The room was very comfortable and nicely furnished, with an elegant style. The bed was *very* comfortable. 3) The pool is an indoor/outdoor pool - half inside the building, with a doorway to swim out to the outdoor pool. The outdoor pool has a lifeguard. When was the last time you had a lifeguard at a hotel pool? The pool area is nicely landscaped/designed. I would have liked more shady spots to sit outside, but it wasn't a problem since I could just go inside. 4) The bar, where the service (of course) was incredible. They had live music and people were dancing, but it wasn't so loud that you couldn't talk. 5) The hotel itself is elegant and on a beautifully landscaped property. The view from the restaurant is supposedly the "best sunset in Rochester". Looking at that view, I believe it. 6) The Starbucks cafe in the lobby, where you could get a coffee before you started your day. On my next visit, and there will definitely be a next visit, I'm going to try the restaurant and the spa. Highly recommended.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

I feel bad leaving this place a "3" because it has a lot of good points. The public areas are nice, if a little bland. Guest rooms are nice, large and comfortable. Food service that I had (catered brunch, plus their breakfast buffet) were definitely B+ or A-. The staff was for the most part nice, but . . . I really can't make sense of the place. It bills itself as a spa but there is precious little catering to the guest or even an awareness of hospitality industry basics (N.B. - pls. see my other reviews; I am not looking for a whole lot of bowing and scraping when I travel). It's location is odd - sort of in an office park, but not terrible (it's hilly and there are nice views from the rooms). But . . . I can't understand why it's here in sort of generic suburbia, and what it is really supposed to be . . . It can't be a destination property.

Some of the problems, in order of importance:

(1) I chose this hotel partially because it boasted a nice pool. I wanted to go for a swim at 8:00 a.m. on a Saturday before my day began. No dice. Spa manager told me that I couldn't swim without a lifeguard and they didn't have one coming in before 10 a.m. Maybe the state regs are true:

but - it's a freakin' spa - no swimming until 10:00 a.m. ? By that time I was well on my way. Pool actually kind of small with a dated deck and furniture; somewhat less good than the literature.

(2) This time of year hotel seems like a wedding factory. No significant impact except it's 11:23 p.m. and I was told the DJ blasting out the hotel "might stop" in 20 minutes. Great. I am thinking this place's identity might be all about the weddings b/c there are several large suites here.

(3) Lobby Starbucks not so professional. They are only open until 10 each day (wouldn't have guessed this). When I showed up at 10:04 - no dice.

(4) When I arrived rather late (1:00 p.m.)l place was sort of dark, no one to help me with luggage, parking (not sure if this is a legit gripe).

Frankly, not sure if any of the gripes are that big a deal - you decide. Since starting this review, I've upped them to 4 stars, b/c I felt guilty that I am being "petty."

Anyway, I need to travel tomorrow, it's 11:31 and the music is still blaring. But don't really feel like raining on someone's wedding. Why do places put you in a bind like this?

1  Thank Yanks_in_Dixie