“the best part about it was the free mint on the way out the door”
Review of Blue Cactus Mexican Grille - CLOSED

Blue Cactus Mexican Grille
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Rochester, NY
“the best part about it was the free mint on the way out the door”
Reviewed March 3, 2009

My daughters and I got a certificate this Christmas so we decided to try out the restaurant. Sadly, we were sorely disappointed and liked virtually nothing that was ordered for food. The guacamole was great, and so was the salsa that came with the chips. The drinks (mojito and margarita) were not good tasting, nor were the enchiladas. The service was good, and the atmosphere cheerful and promising, it was the food that was the great disappointment.

2 Thank rpb_61

Rochester
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“This is not Mexican food”
Reviewed February 10, 2009

I was born in California and lived there for 21 years; The Blue Cactus Mexican Grille is not Mexican food. My rating though is not based on authenticity, the food was just plain bad and it was not a good value. My enchilada consisted of only flavorless un-spiced chicken in a tortilla covered with cheese. The enchiladas were on top of some green sauce which I thought was tomatillo, but it was very sweet and tasted like apple sauce. I have never encountered that sauce with anything. The dish also came with about 5 tablespoons of beans. I do not remember the exact price, but the amount/quality of food received was worth $4 and I probably paid $10-15 for the dish. Sadly I have yet to find a good Mexican restaurant in Rochester.

1 Thank lupinstel
Worldwide
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“$$$ and a weird policy”
Reviewed August 16, 2008

Pricey for what you get. Beware. Also, watch out for the enchilada sampler platter. Three types of enchiladas featured on the menu - each comes with its own complementary sauce. If you get the sampler platter, you must choose only one sauce. What's the point of this? Guacamole was good - made fresh, but at $8 for a small bowl, it seemed overpriced. Service was slow.

1 Thank Hatch_Hiker
Fairport NY
“delicious”
Reviewed July 20, 2008

The food is fine quality, home made Mexican. It's definitely a bit pricier than the cheap Mexica slop that most Gringos are used to. But if you appreciate fine, delicate flavors and unusual offerings, then this place is for you. (Tacos, fajitas, and enchiladas are available too) Also, their Margeritas and Pina Coladas are really really good. Open for breakfast on Saturday too, not sure about Sundays. Good breakfast burritos and other unusual fare.

Also, one review said no tortilla chips, not true. nd they are free.

farmington
“Fairport's Finest Authentic Mexician Grille”
Reviewed July 18, 2008

Whether you are a native or a traveler make this Restaurant part of your experience. The menu offers a variety of wonderful dishes of which my favorite for dinner is the "Tampiquena"! truly a huge variety platter with big enough portions to even take some home!

My fav for lunch is the Ensaladas section, although I have tried them all, I think the Tacos De Ensalada has turned out to be a great choice, light in weight and very tantilizing to the taste buds!

For our appetizer we selected the Loaded Blue Cactus Nacho platter, which was perfect as the chef loaded it up with the toppings.

For our beverages we had the Happy Hour Special "traditional margarita', which was perfect! Although they looked small when they arrived, they packed quite a kick. The bartender said it was two ounces worth! overall our rating says make it special and go there when selecting where you want to dine in Fairport!