“Yea! Good Mexican Food in Rochester”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Blue Cactus Mexican Grille - CLOSED

Blue Cactus Mexican Grille
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Rochester, NY
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yea! Good Mexican Food in Rochester”
Reviewed December 5, 2007

My SO and I tried this restaurant on a Saturday night at 7:30. We had to wait an hour for a table, which we took as a great sign. That's the way a good mexican restaurant should be. We have a saying in Texas....As the salsa and chips go, so goes the rest of the food at a mexican restaurant. In my opinion, not so here. Although the salsa was fine, it was too smoky for my taste, and the chips were bargain grocery store brand. BUT - the rest of the meal was FANTASTIC. We both got Chile Rellenos - not the fried variety, which was a nice surprise. Deserts were also great. Service was better than expected. Friendly owner. Only reason I didn't give this restaurant a five is that I've had better food in Austin and Houston. But for Rochester? GREAT!

1 Thank emmapiddle

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Service was good. For the price you get an ample portion. The food was freshly made instead of the reheated frozens...”
Reviewed November 21, 2007

Service was good. For the price you get an ample portion. The food was freshly made instead of the reheated frozens that many chain restaurants serve. This is not a child-friendly restaurant and you have to get there early or you will wait awhile to be seated. As for the cuisine you must really like Yucatan style Mexican food. Many people think Mexican food is all the same but every region of Mexico has different cuisine. I'm partial to Sonoran Mexican cuisine which is similar to what you find in Arizona. If you are looking for Southwestern US style Mexican food or Tex Mex you won't find that at the Blue Cactus. But if you are open to a new style of Mexican food or you are familiar with chef Rick Bayless of Chicago (and from PBS), you'll enjoy this restaurant. It is definitely worth sampling.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook