“Underwhelming food and poor service”

Horizons Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 99 Restaurants in Fairport
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Woodcliff Drive
Reviewed June 1, 2013

My family went to Horizons to celebrate my grandma's 75th birthday last night (May 31, 2013). We went with about 20 people, and we made a reservation in advance. The servers were very friendly, but they got nearly everything wrong-drinks were poured that weren't ordered, and appetizers and entrées were passed all around the table to get them to the right people. For example, the servers tried to serve me two different entrées before the right one made it to me. The food took a long time to come out (I understand we were a large party, but we made the reservation well in advance, and the restaurant should have been prepared), and when it did it was underwhelming for the price. We both ordered filet mignon done medium. My steak was undercooked, and my husband's was overcooked. The sides were nothing to write home about. My husband and I recently went to a different restaurant in town, paid the same price, ordered basically the same meal, and there was no comparison. Overall it was a disappointing experience for such a special occasion. The view is nice though, and the live band was good. As a side note, the bathroom didn't have a place to change or feed a baby. Maybe no one brings babies out, but we did, and I had to hold my newborn standing up to breastfeed her in the small bathroom.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

A good spot within Woodcliff hotel for an upscale dinner. It's a good choice for a special evening to celebrate a birthday or anniversary. It's a bit pricey but worth it as food & service is excellent & decor is elegant.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Average means I enjoyed it, but wouldn't go out of my way to eat it again. The veal Oscar was said to be the best on the menu...meh. And the service was horrendous; disjointed, not present, just a mess. They are refurbishing the restaurant, so the dining room is off of the lobby...abutting the checking for the hotel which was loud and a mess as well. Wish they would have warned us, the business dinner was difficult to hold with all the hockey kids running by.

The bar was a joke...tiny and squished in. Lets hope they redo the whole system of dining with this new revamp. Maybe get a better chef while their at it.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I have always been impressed by Horizons and Woodcliff (the hotel it's in) in general, however I have had to revise my opinion. We planned a birthday celebration at this usually classy restaurant and reserved a table. When we arrived we were told the restaurant was closed for remodeling and were shown to a table in a part of the hotel lobby that had "turned into" a restaurant. We were never told this was going to be the case when we had reserved the week before.

So right from the start we were unhappy at the circumstance and felt like we had been hustled in order to maximize Horizon/Woodcliff profits.

The food was very good In fact it may have been better than other times I have been there.

But then the check came. There was not 1, not 2, but 3 items in error on our check. Huh? I have eaten all over the world and never seen anything like this. Deliberate? I don't know, but it was an amateur play in what should have been a highly professional experience. Yes, it was taken care of, but there was no credit given for the mistakes, just a reduction from the bill.

I will not be eating at this restaurant again, even in the remodeled facility.

Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

Delicious as always! We had scallops for an appetizer. My boyfriend had strip steak and he said it was cooked perfectly. I had salmon (my first time) and it was so tasty!! Everything was perfect, out waitress was polite and proffesional. Great place for a special occasion.