“Awesome restaurant”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

One of the best meals that I have had in a long time. The atmosphere is great. Very small but eligant dining room. Its a little pricy but very worth it. Will go as often as possible.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

As with other reviewers we had never eaten at the Cellar Door before (had been upstairs for a couple of events and knew the food was very good). Who would guess we would rave about the pita and hummus served instead of the typical bread and butter but this was the freshest softest pita we ever ate - I don't know how they prepared the pita that made it so good. The smoked trout spread on kimmelwick toast was excellent. Actually there are a number of appetizers that we would come back for and make a dinner of just those.

The blackened catfish entree had the right about of blackening so as to not overwhelm it - it was very good as was the crab cake. In the case of the catfish the portion size was small for the price. I am not a big eater but if we had not had an appetizer I would have gone home hungry. Our server was friendly and efficient. We will be back!

Reviewed May 15, 2013

A delightful, small restaurant on the lower level of a Victorian mansion, located in a quaint section of Fairport, NY, near Rochester. Service was friendly, helpful and professional. The food was superb and reasonably priced. The butternut squash soup was memorable. I ordered a sandwich with oven-roasted turkey on a home-baked soft cranberry pretzel. It was absolutely delicious, and was beautifully presented. I look forward to having lunch at this restaurant on a future trip to Rochester. Highly recommended.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

This quiche is either "to die for" or else "you've died and gone to heaven." Any way you say it, the quiche I had there last week was super excellent. It had creamy, custardy filling with a crust that was truly flaky. The filling that day happened to be mushroom and spinach, but I'm sure other offerings would be as good.
As others have said, the restaurant is small and friendly, carefully decorated. Very nice place!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had never been to this place, but had a coupon for it. Our expectations were modest: it's in the basement of a big party house. I figured it would be just a couple of notches above party house buffet fare, less the steam tables.

I called ahead and was told we'd need a reservation. Really? To eat in the basement? OK. And the res was for later, since they were completely booked until nearly 8 PM. Uh, OK. Completely booked? The basement?

It should have started to occur to me by then that maybe this wasn't just a little restaurant in the basement of a big party house. And that maybe the food was more than a couple of notches above steam table grade. But it didn't.

The place is teeny, seating maybe 30-40 people, plus another half dozen at the little bar. The service was quick, the nice young server gal was super efficient and very friendly. My wife had a vegetarian dish and the French Onion soup: both really good. I had the pork dish: it was nothing short of wonderful. We split a creme brulee - YUM!!

Prices were very reasonable considering the quality of the food.

We've eaten all over Rochester, dozens and dozens of places. This is easily one of the very best restaurants in the city, hands down.

But you'll need a reservation. And if you're looking for steam tables, book a party up stairs. My guess is that the food up there is every bit as good as it is here, in the basement. Uh, Cellar. Sorry.

2  Thank mikedoolin