“WOW”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Essex
Essex Inn on the Adirondack Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Essex B&B and Inns
Plattsburgh, NY
“WOW”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Just back from our first dinner at Essex Inn on the Adirondack Coast. Well, I am not sure where to begin except by saying ...Five Stars without even a thought. What a delightful evening. Our meal was beyond compare. Service was exceptional. Will spread the word about this North Country Jewel. I think this place is just waiting to explode. It suits diners of all ages. Upbeat and trendy for the young, cozy, intimate for all and great for the older crowd too. My, MY, MY....Lanai and Keith you have a wonderful place and we will be back for sure. We are certain if dinner is any indication of what an overnight stay would be, your customers should be very pleased. Delightful to say the least. Thank you for a wonderful time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank TheTwoStooges

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Nashville Tn
Reviewed November 2, 2013

The new management were the most accomodating and helpful about sending us to great places in the area. The food at the Inn restaurant is terrific (Big City imagination and quality) When we came down to breakfast it was made especially for us (no steam tables here) and arranged for special needs (gluten free). The room was comfortable and had many amenities as well as a great bed.
The quiet of this tiny town is delightful and a walk to the lake (about 2 minutes) furthers the pleasure. I hope to get back there as often as possible and since I live 1500 miles away it will be a labor of love. Flying in to Burlington and taking the ferry is part of the charm

Room Tip: We had the smallest room in front but it was quiet and comfortable and maybe the least expensive.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Barbara K
Annandale, New Jersey
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stayed at the inn for one night with my wife and daughter, while on a research trip looking for a boutique hotel for a large event I am planning. Their website, reviews and the room price ($350+) set a very high expectation in my mind that was just not delivered on.

The rooms we saw have a very sparse/modern aesthetic mixed in with country/cabin furniture and paneled walls. It photographs well, but comes across as cold and unfinished when you’re in the room. On top of that, the rooms didn't seem designed to spend much time in; and the severity of them would get depressing if you were forced to spend any time inside (e.g. a rainy day.) No TV in the bedroom, and the one in the main room was smaller than my laptop screen. No phones. Room 9 had no nightstands and I didn’t measure it but the bed was supposed to be a queen, but it felt much smaller.

We were initially booked in room Five, but the toilet didn't flush, and there was no plunger in the entire inn, so the chef (yes the chef) had to run home and bring his in at 10pm. I then spent 15min trying to unstop the toilet to no avail, only to find out later that Room 6 also had plumbing problems. (that may have been good information to have shared when we reported to problem in the first place and were waiting around for 20 min for a plunger). We were finally moved to rooms 8/9 which were similarly appointed to room 5, but which had working bathrooms (yea).

My other major complaint is the wifi. It was painfully slow, far slower than 3g on my iphone. At midnight the wifi gave out all together, and with the staff gone for the evening, the only thing to do was wait it out till morning. (just note: AT&T reception was really bad (1-2 bars), but Verizon was pretty good in Essex.

Overall the rooms are very large and super clean, but the quality of the furnishings are way below what you might expect for a 350/night room. ½ roll of toilet paper in the bathroom with no spare, no hair dryer in room 9 (needed to borrow from room 8) no amenities in the bathroom at all just shampoo, conditioner and hand soap on the sink (literally there was nothing else in the bathroom than towels and those three items).

The thing that annoyed me the most is that breakfast (included in the room rate) is only served during a very limited window in the morning (I think 8-9:30 or 10), but no one told us this when we checked in the night before. I am sure that it is probably printed in the info booklet in the room, but would it really be that hard to explain as your checking in? So I am paying $50 extra to have a third person in the room (mind you that there is absolutely nothing in the room that can be consumed by the third person (not even an extra towel) so the entirety of this extra fee is to wash the linens for the sofa bed and for breakfast, but no one can be bothered to mention that we can only get breakfast during their (90-120min) breakfast window.

The funny thing is that the staff seemed genuinely sorry and embarrassed that we had the issue with the toilet, but in my mind that was the one issue that was most excusable. It’s a really old inn, and having an unexpected plumbing issue is not ideal, but certainly not something I would have expected that they would have anticipated. All the other issues could/should have been easily been anticipated or prevented.

So why not a 1 star rating?

1. Staff was super friendly and I believe that they felt bad about the plumbing issues, and resolved it by upgrading us into other rooms.
2. The rooms are immaculate (i.e. clean) and very large
3. The restaurant was great, the atmosphere and décor in the restaurant is right on point, and the food and service were excellent.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank DavidBoeke
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed here on a bike trip. The Inn was lovely, and the restaurant facilities were very good. Unlike many B&Bs or Inns, though, there are not really any common areas to relax and chat, other than the bar area.

Our room was very nice and spacious, but the big problem was that our bed arrangement was quite strange. We first found the problem when were retiring late in the evening. The bed had a mattress pad, and then an unfitted sheet that did not entirely cover the pad, topped off with a queen sized comforter in a king sized duvet cover. We thought that this was perhaps a variation on what we might find in Europe. But in this case, since the one sheet did not really fit on the bed, it did not stay nicely on the mattress all night, and we did not have a good cover for the hot evening (as a comforter was much too hot and having nothing over us with the AC blowing was also undomfortable). All in all, we had a quite uncomfortable night, and discovered the next morning that there was supposed to be a fitted sheet on the bed as well, which would have been nice. Josh was startled to learn that there was not a fitted sheet, and said he would take care of that, but it appears that only applies to future guests.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank RwithS
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and I spent the weekend at the Essex Inn and we thoroughly impressed. It is very clean and well maintained. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. We had arrived well before the 3pm check-in time and they allowed us to check in early, no problem. We enjoyed cocktails in the rocking chairs on the porch before dinner and had a wonderful meal at the Tavern in the Inn. Also, they provide a complimentary breakfast, which is more than what you would expect for a free breakfast!

Inn is set in a very small, quiet town but was perfect for our getaway from the city!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nikki H
Schenectady, New York
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The food was awesome. The rooms were a little over priced but warm and clean. All of the staff were spot on with service! The morning breakfast was beyond perfect . For being one of the only places in town , they are at the next level.Staying again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chuck183
Saratoga Springs, NY
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I made a reservation for two rooms at the Essex Inn on February 19, 2013 for a trip to Lake Champlain on June 28, 2013 which I cancelled on March 7, 2013 (16 days). I expected to be charged the $35 cancellation fee despite the short time span between reservation and cancellation but was charged $70 instead. When I called to ask why I was told it was because I had booked two rooms for two nights and the amount of the charge for the rooms caused a $40 swipe fee to the inn. If the inn was being charged by the number of swipes I wonder why the reservation for the two rooms was made with two separate charges (swipes) which caused a fraud alert on my credit card!?!? Also, had this been a few days out from the date of arrival I might be more understanding but they have 3 1/2 months to fill these two rooms which is at the height of their season. So needless to say I am very disappinted with the double charge,
especially since this is nowhere in the inn's policy that they charge cancellation fees by the room rather than the reservation.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Darlene L
EssexInn, Business Lessee/Proprietor at Essex Inn on the Adirondack Coast, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Darlene,

We understand that you are disappointed with our cancellation policy, and regret that we were not able to host you. I do wish to address a false statement in your posted review, however. You write that nowhere in our cancellation policy does it state that cancellation policies are per room rather than per reservation. This statement is untrue, and I think perhaps an honest mistake on your part. As protocol, when customers call to book we ask if they have seen our policy on the website, if not, we refer them to it and inform them of the policy. In addition, our cancellation policy is both posted on our website, and included in both of the booking confirmation emails you received, and clearly states exactly that "The cancellation policy is applicable per reserved room." You reserved two separate rooms, for three nights each. Guests who cancel before the 30 days have the option of cancelling the reservation and receiving a refund minus the processing fee, or applying the full amount toward a future stay within the next year. Such is also posted on our site and in confirmation emails sent upon booking. Also, when guests book online, they are asked to verify they have read and understood the policy before their booking goes through.

Again, we understand that you are disappointed with the policy, and we regret that we will not have the opportunity to host you, however, I did want to address the false statement in your review regarding the informative and transparent nature of our policy. Our offer to you to apply the fees toward a future stay still remains.

Warmest regards,
Gladys Archer
Essex Inn on the Adirondack Coast
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
Hilton Garden Inn Burlington Downtown
The Inn in Westport
The Inn in Westport
#1 of 3 in Westport

Been to Essex Inn on the Adirondack Coast? Share your experiences!