“Best dinner on west coast of lake champlain”
Review of Essex Inn

Essex Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Restaurants in Essex
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Essex Inn On The Adirondack Coast: Casual Fine Dining And Elegant Overnight Accommodations In A Newly Restored Historic Treasure. Private Parties, Luncheons, And Holiday Parties Available. Proudly Support Local Growers. Gluten-free Friendly. Open Year Round. Reservations Recommended. Also On Facebook.
Burli
“Best dinner on west coast of lake champlain”
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Great flavor, great cocktails, definitely worth the trip...service staff very accommodating as we decided to take our drinks and apps out on the porch and back inside for dinner.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Tara G

“Wonderful brunch”
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Sunday brunch was awesome, fresh crab eggs Benedict , wonderful home fries and a great atmosphere. Our server was friendly food was served very fast. Everything was great. Such a gem

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Sheri G
“Too Bad the Chef left”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Traveled by boat to have drinks and snacks to find Inn Closed, sign says "period of transition" Hope they re-open with as good an operation soon. Matt at the Bar is great.

Visited September 2013
Canaan, New Hampshire
“Really Good Food and Service”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Friends in Willsboro had tried this one out after the lengthy (and really beautifully done) restoration of this early 1800's landmark. They strongly recommended it and I'd totally agree The Inn has a new chef (josh Archer, previously of Captiva Island, Naples, and Lake Wales FL, among others) who creates elegantly presented and very tasty French-American dishes.

We started with the Welsh Rarebit appetizer which was served on pretzels fresh from the oven, while trying to choose from the interesting choices on the menu . Delicious and almost could have been a meal in itself. I asked the waitress about the chef's specialty (or what he'd choose) and she said "let me check" and came back a few minutes later with two options. I chose the L'aragusta, which was loaded with lobster and a huge plate of pasta with delicious sauce. My sister chose the prime rib, rare, and got a huge portion, beautifully rare, and with almost no waste. Neither of us could finish and we will either skip the appetizer or just do appetizers for dinner next time.

The attentive and cheerful service, a meal that was timed perfectly, and the "old Inn" ambiance all combined for a really nice evening.

• Visited September 2013
Ft. Lauderdale
“Excellence in Essex, New York”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Friends of ours had asked us if we would like to accompany them to a restaurant that they had gone to several months before,where they really enjoyed the reasonably priced food.
We accompanied them to the beautifully restored Essex Inn, in the quaint town of Essex, New York, which is located on the west shore of Lake Champlain. Essex is the western terminus of the Lake Champlain Ferry that travels between Essex and Charlotte, Vermont.This is approximately a 20 minute ferry ride. Every time I drive through Essex, I am reminded of the opening scene of "Murder She Wrote" with Angela Lansbury, because Essex reminds me so much of Cabot Cove.

At he Essex Inn, we asked to be seated in the Parlor. Our visit was on a Friday night in June, a night that the Essex Inn names "Essex Inn Prix Fixe Friday" since they have a limited menu in which you get Soup, Salad, Entree and Dessert for $25.

The ladies had Lobster Bisque, while we men had Baked Vidalia Onion Soup.with an awesome home baked loaf of bread., of which we asked for seconds. Everyone raved about both. We proceeded to a wonderfully arranged and tasting salad with a wonderful choice of dressings. For a main course, the ladies had an ample offering of Pan seared Grouper, drizzled with lemon-beurre-blanc, served over wild rice and broccolini.It was "to write home about". We men had a locally raised New York Strip, grilled to order. I prefer my steak medium rare and it was perfect and melted in my mouth. Our friend enjoys his steak done medium and it also was cooked and tasted perfect.. The steaks were served with an ample helping of grilled asparagus and baby carrots and garlic mashed potatoes. Everyone enjoyed their selection tremendously.
Our meals were topped of with home made Cheesecake with sour cream frosting and raspberry sauce, which was my choice, Italian rum cake, which my wife and her girlfriend thoroughly enjoyed, while our other friend had Carrot cake with pecan cream cheese frosting.
Everyone one enjoyed every aspect of their meal so much so that we are all going back tomorrow night.

To get such a delicious tasting and complete meal, served in a friendly and professional manner, for the sum of $25 is unheard of in today's day and age.

As of now, I do not know whether the entrees for the Prix Fixe vary from week to week or remain the same, but when we go again tomorrow I would not mind a rerun of our last dinner selections. The other entree that had been available, but was not ordered, was Chicken Frascati, which is a pan fried chicken breast sauteed in a diced tomato white wine cream sauce, topped with sliced almonds and served over a bed of wild rice. Another soup choice was Manhattan Clam Chowder, while Lemon Sorbet, Blackberry Cabernet Sorbet and Double Chocolate Brownie a la mode were the untried dessert choices.

It is comforting to know that there are several choices of wonderful restaurants so close to our summer home in the Adirondacks.

• Visited June 2013

Been to Essex Inn? Share your experiences!