We had to find a room for a single night out of necessity & came across Saw Mill River Motel online. We were vaguely familiar with it since we're from the area & had driven by it before, but we had no idea what kind of a sleaze motel it was!
1st off- do NOT be fooled by the beautiful photos on the website. It's located in a fairly sketchy area & I'm sure the photo is even the motel at all.
As soon as we walked into the (very cramped) room, we were hit with a *wall* of residual cigarette smoke odor. The wall had some nasty stain of what appeared to be dried mucus, a fist-punch dent in another wall, & a couple of cigarette burn holes in the bed covers. (& I hadn't even *considered* the possibility of bed bugs until after we left)
To top it off, the next day after checking out, we were told the place is a den for prostitution!
So yeah, you can save a buck if you're a traveler/tourist, but what price comfort & cleanliness??! You're literally better off pitching a tent & camping out at a state park than stay here, unless You. Are. Desperate.
Me and my wife were in the area and need a place to stay for 2 days and decided we didn't want to go and pay 150 dollars a night to stay at a hotel. We can here and we were surprised! Before you read the other reviews consider this: this place was by far cheaper than other places AND they had newly renovated rooms due to the hurricane apparently. Our room even smelled new (I think we may have been first to stay in it)....regardless it was worth it....and the girl at the desk was very helpful and even printed out directions for us to get to the wedding we were attending.
My sister and I stayed here on Saturday, 9/3/11, after our hotel called us an hour before and canceled our reservation. Now, where do I begin with this review. ok so, the weekend before, the entire east coast was affected by Hurricane Irene and little did we know that this motel suffered SEVERE damage. Only 25% of the motel weas operational, and the other 75% was still being drained and repaired. Immediately upon opening the door to the room, which was on the bottom floor, the entire room smelled like mold and/or a wet carpet or cat that had not been cleaned. My belief is that the water from Hurricane Irene came into the room and soiled the carpets, which apparently noone ever cleaned afterward. The second issue was that there were 25 watt lighbulbs in all the lamps, so even at 1pm, the room was dark as if it were 1am. There was not a main light in the ceiling, only wires hanging down where I guess it was supposed to be. The bedding had your stereotypical cigarette burns and were hard as rocks. The toilet also backed-up as well. There werer water stains all over the walls and a Heineken sticker on the mirror. We also had NO reception on our cellphones and had to come outside to use them. We slept on top of the bedding, in our clothes, not underneath. I cant say anything good about this place. I would only advise you to stay here as an absolute last resort like we did...
BEDBUGS!!!! and the management was ridiculously RUDE!!!And i was overcharged i will not go to saw mill river motel again SAVE YOURSELF A HEADACHE.