“Smelly and dirty”

Hampton Inn White Plains / Tarrytown
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Elmsford
Reviewed August 11, 2008

This hotel does not live up to the Hamptom Inn brand. The elevators and hallways are really dirty and there is a really bad smell in the hallways. Rooms are big and have all amenities.

We stayed a Saturdaay night and there was a lack of staff. We had no shampoo, conditioner or soap in our bathroom and when we asked for some were told to come down to front desk and get some. There was only one person on duty and she had to be at front desk.

We stayed with a 17 month old. They provided a decent crib with sheets and a blanket and he slept in it.

Breakfast was ok but the muffins and french toast looked old.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed June 9, 2008

I've stayed at this Hampton Inn several times over the last few years and have never had a bad experience. I strongly feel that this is the best value in Westchester.

The staff is accommodating and friendly, the rooms are pristine. The bed is more comfortable than my own bed at home!

I don't usually like breakfast foods, but I always find something to start my day at the Hampton Inn's breakfast mini-buffet. Unlike most hotels that offer a "continental breakfast" of boxed doughnuts and old fruit, Hampton Inn offers a lot of variety. There's always a hot item (such as scambled eggs and bacon or sausage and biscuits), fresh fruit salad, a choice of cereals, oatmeal, a selection of juices and coffee, various flavors of yogurt, and several kinds of bread (bagels, English muffins, sliced bread for toast).

I can't think of anything critical to stay about this place. Granted, it's not luxurious, but it's thoroughly comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Girlgoingplaces
Reviewed April 4, 2008

I booked our recent 2 night stay through hotwire.com for $63/night. For the value, we were impressed with the hotel. The lobby is elegant and clean with sitting areas and hot breakfast in the morning. Our room was clean, nicely appointed, the bed extremely comfortable, and the bathroom adequate. The front desk staff was one of the most friendly we have encountered. Overall, a great stay!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pianogal1018
Reviewed February 23, 2008

I checked into my room ("A Single Bed" truly means a SINGLE bed, not one queen sized bed! It wasn't even the size of a twin! Yikes! I thought it was a joke, although it was certainly new!) one evening during a business trip.

The front desk woman assigned me a room (I don't remember the actual number, but let's pretend it was 510) and gave me my key.

I went up to the fifth floor and tried to enter room 510. My key wouldn't work - the door swipe entry gave me a blinking red light, indicating it wasn't either keyed properly or something was going on.

I got back on the elevator (all of this was lugging my briefcase, luggage, et cetera, mind you), figured it was an honest mistake, and explained it to the front desk lady. She typed around on the computer for a few minutes, exclaimed "The reason it wouldn't work is because you're not assigned to 510!" I showed her where she had clearly written, on the key card jacket, in the Room Space: 510. She said "Oops! Sorry, you're in room 305. Your key should work for room 305."

I got back on the elevator, went up to room 305, and the key worked (hooray) but as soon I as I walked into the room, I realized that other people were in the room! And not just IN the room, but staying in the room! That was awkward and potentially dangerous! (It was 9pm at night).

We all trooped downstairs to the front desk AGAIN where the woman, who still had not yet apologized once for the inconvenience, banged around on her computer for a little while longer, said "Oops! I didn't realize 305 was booked. You're in room 418."

And, dragging all of my luggage, briefcase, et cetera, got back in the elevator and to my room (FINALLY!) where I found a MINUSCULE bed.

I'm an average weight woman who stands 5'4 tall and with my head at the very top of the headboard, my feet almost extended longer than the bed.

I called down to the front desk (I'm not sure why I bothered, actually) to ask if this was a standard issue room (especially given my company was paying $199/night for it).

Sigh. It's nice and refurbished but not worth it.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Emma_Ley
Reviewed December 29, 2007

We've stayed at this hotel several times over the years. We had a nice stay here over the holidays. The front staff person on the 25th was very personable and helpful. The rooms were basic and clean. I didn't care for the pillows though. They looked fluffy but became very thin when you laid your head on them. The breakfast lobby area is large and the food good. When we arrived in the evening we took advantage of the fresh coffee and hot chocolate that was available. We also used the computer in the business center and that worked out fine- no wait and no problems. This hotel is located on a hill so walking in the parking lot can be tricky with luggage. It is located close to White Plains although there is no restaurant within walking distance that I noticed. It is convenient to the highways also. For us, the price, cleanliness and the free breakfast keeps us coming back when we visit the area.

Stayed: December 2007
1  Thank trav16
Reviewed December 23, 2007

My family is a big fan of the Hampton Inn chain (nice rooms, free breakfast) and this hotel doesn't disappoint. It's fairly typical, if not a little nicer than most if you're familiar with the chain. Front desk people were welcoming, the lobby is nice, rooms looked newly refurbished. I stayed in this hotel with my grandparents over thanksgiving, but I imagine most of the people who stay there are in town on business. There is a nice outdoor pool (I've also stayed here in the summer). It was a nice place to sit out and read.

The hotel could be "interesting" to access in a snow storm because it's built on a very steep hill. The property is pretty much built into the hillside. But you're not really hiking up or down to your room. I was with my grandparents who are not the most mobile people and we didn't have any trouble.

The hotel is within a ten minutes drive of Ardsley, Sleepy Hollow, Irvington and various Hudston river attractions. It's very easily accessible to the highway. If you enjoy Hampton Inns, this one will not disappoint.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank ewellman
Reviewed November 18, 2007

My fiance and I booked a room here for a friends wedding in the area. We decided not to stay at another nearby with off of our friends because we had a dift certificate for Hilton Hotels - bad idea!
We checked in after the ceremony so we were dressed in nice attire - we were stared at the entire time by the guy at the front desk. We went to the room and freshened up. The room was very nice, bed comfortable bathroom clean. I am in the hotel industry and this was pretty much up to par with what I am accustom to.
We got back from the reception about 1am. My fiance dropped me at the front door as it was freezing, and went to park. Upon walking into the lobby there were about 10 kids outside smoking with the front desk guy from earlier. I guess he invied his friends to party at the hotel for the night? As we were getting in the elevator the kids all came in and went into the banquet room, which was dark yet very loud. I guess they had thrown a party in the banquet room.
We got up to the room and could not wait to go to sleep only to find that there was also a party begin thrown in the rom next door. There must have been at least 5 people in there... yelling and being very rude! We called the front desk - he said he would call security and 30 minutes later - they were still in there yelling. We called backe the front desk and told them either get the people out or we were checking out and wanted all of our money back. next thing you know, someone knocked on he door... When they opened we heard them say "what did they say ___"... obviously, they knew the "security staff".
Needless to say we were so tired and at this point all we wanted to do was sleep, so we did stay. I did call corporate and all they said was call the hotel to complaint. I called the hotel directly and the GM was not there - Guess he never is... which is why his staff throws parties with their friends on Saturday nights.
Don't stay here if you want to sleep!

• Stayed: November 2007
3  Thank melimike
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elmsford
Courtyard by Marriott Tarrytown Westchester County
La Quinta Inn & Suites White Plains - Elmsford
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Hawthorne

Been to Hampton Inn White Plains / Tarrytown? Share your experiences!