“Very good value”

La Quinta Inn & Suites White Plains - Elmsford
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Elmsford
Reviewed February 3, 2010

This motel had the best price in the area for the weekend I was there. Cheerful front desk staff checking in and out. Ample and easy parking. Very clean facility, clean room, comfortable bed. I didn't sample the free continental breakfast (I was meeting someone for breakfast somewhere else), but it looked like standard agreeable fare. On the whole, I was very pleased with the quality of my stay compared to the price I paid.
Location: I-287 to Exit 2, take Route 9-A north and keep going. You'll get there eventually. Gas station across the street is open early.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites White Plains - Elmsford

Reviewed December 19, 2009

Drove up from South New Jersey and had to attend a funeral nearby. We read some criticism of this hotel after we made our reservations and had some trepidation. Totally unwarranted. The staff were courteous, the room was clean, the plumbing, electricity, TV, and wireless broadband all worked flawlessly. Although our room was in front it was far away from the highway that we did not hear traffic noises. Our brother and his wife were staying in another room that was near the elevator, and his only complaint was that people getting on and off tended to speak loudly at all hours of the night. All in all a very nice experience!

Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GreenGiantFlorida
Reviewed December 7, 2009

Everything about this motel was just right. The room was clean and comfortable, and everything worked. The indoor pool was a good size, and in a heated room. The free breakfast was great, with everything you could want. There was a free computer in the lobby so I could check my email. It's a bit far from NYC, but could be an inexpensive base for visiting the city.
(The picture is not the view from the motel, but just a nice sunrise.)

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tyere
Reviewed October 15, 2009

I stayed here on my way home from vacation just to give myself a break from driving. Room was attractive and well-lit with a king-sized bed, a large, comfortable chair, a good sized desk, and free wireless internet. There was also a small refrigerator and a microwave. The front desk check in and out was efficient. Two moderately priced restaurants (Applebys and Executive Diner) were located in a mall just a short distance away. I paid just under $100 for the room and thought it was just fine for the price.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Downtheroad24
Reviewed August 12, 2009

Clogged Sinks. Couples arguing in the hall using vulgar language. Rat found in the pool so it had to be closed.... need I say more.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2009

I was in the Chappaqua area for some business over 10 days or so and decided to sample two different La Quinta motels, one in Elmsford, one in Armonk. The Elmsford property is the Good Twin, the other the Evil Twin.

At Elmsford, the manager was friendly and called after I was settled in to be sure everything was ok. Not necessary, but a nice touch. Breakfast was standard fare, but the attendants were helpful and attentive to detail.

Room - everything worked. What made this place stand out was that for a business traveler, who sometimes needs a hardware store, pizza shop, or incidentals, the location was great. Easy access on 9A to a host of other businesses, like Home Depot, supermarkets, etc., with an especially fine iconic New Jersey style diner (Executive Diner) down the road at the entrance to the Saw Mill Parkway.

Westchester is a fast-paced rural location that acts like a city due to proximity to the Big Apple. And yet, there is plenty of greenery and lakes. The easy access to parkways such as the Saw Mill and expressways such as the Cross-Westchester made getting around a breeze (albeit after much study of a map).

If you are in the Westchester area and looking for a better than average basic motel experience, La Quinta in Elmsford is the one. Elmsford itself is somewhat weatherbeaten, but even there, you have very good pizza places, banks, pharmacies and so on, so, like I said, for someone who needs incidentals like tools and hardware, this is a winning choice.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank KellyRM
Reviewed February 8, 2009

Finding a place to stay in the New York City area is not difficult - well, finding a place to stay that is affordable, that's something different. Finding it in December, getting tricky. For my first night after arrival from Europe I was looking for a hotel outside New York, I had planned to take a short drive up on Hudson and through the countryside north of the city. Especially the area north of New York seems to have no more than two types of hotels at this time of year: those above 100$/night and those that are old, dirty or can't be found on the internet. After searching for a while I found the La Quinta in Elmsford, add a AAA rate and the price came down to the low 90s, which I accepted based on the 2008 reviews other travellers had posted.
I arrived in Elmsford on a cold and rainy night in December, completely tired from a long flight and some driving. The hotel was easy to find and made a good first impression - a nicely lit lobby, a restaurant next door. Together with my room key I received in information flyer putting me on notice that the restaurant next door wasn't in fact a restaurant (any more) - it was going to be torn down the following morning, the hotel was appologizing for any resulting noise. Okay, happens. Next thing I noticed was that the street-facing lobby is actually separated from the actual hotel rooms - the rooms are out back facing a parking lot and some commercial buildings. The good news: it is very quiet out back.
My room offered all basic amenities and was clean, nothing fancy though - which eventually makes it overpriced, but as I said earlier, it's hard to find an adequately priced room in the area. But so far, no complaints. However, I found the surroundings a lot less appealing. With the restaurant next door being torn down, I had to drive for more than a mile to find some fast-food restaurants and grab my dinner. On my way I found several closed down shops, although the neighborhood didn't look bad at all. The commercial buildings/warehouses behind the property looked well maintained and new, no complaints there. Overall, both the hotel and the area was empty, which makes this place even more overpriced...
I had a quiet night and left the next morning before 9, the construction work hadn't yet started. Daylight didn't change any of my impressions, neither did the drive back to the interstate. Because of the few people staying that night I cannot comment on the other travellers' complaints regarding noisy rooms.
In summary, this is a dependable property, there are no complaints - I would assume it isn't too hard to get a room here at any given time, but the price isn't adequate. With so few amenities, no restaurants nearby, I don't think they should be charging these prices. If you find something else, consider it - if you're considerung staying here, do so, you're not making any mistakes.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elmsford
Comfort Inn & Suites
SpringHill Suites Tarrytown Greenburgh
Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel
Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel
#7 of 7 in Tarrytown

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites White Plains - Elmsford? Share your experiences!